1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

wheel studs pulled from hub

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2003, 11:33 PM
cajunbull61
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel studs pulled from hub

Has anyone ever had the wheel lugs pull out of a front hub???. It looks as though they wallowed out the hub until they pulled out. The drum is still attatched to the wheel. The drum was replaced a few weeks ago and new tires put on about a week ago. I have never seen anything quite like this.

Old 10-18-2003, 08:15 AM
cdherman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Like, as in the studs pulled out from the back side?

Nope, never seen that. I'd suspect that the lug nuts were not tight enough and as they loosened the play ended up ruining the hub first. But thats a guess. Did you lose the tire, or noticed it before it got that bad?

Guess its also possible that the people that replaced the hub (you?), used too small of lug studs which had play.

Anyhow, sounds like you are looking for a new hub. Ought to be able to find them without too much trouble, especially from someone who has done a disc brake conversion. I have a set of front drums for my 65 that were completely turned and went through 500 miles ago, but I am not quite ready to part with them.

I would complain at the tire place, or where ever the last time the lugs were tightened.

Old 10-23-2003, 11:07 PM
cajunbull61
Senior User
Sorry I didn't post back sooner but I had to leave town for a few days. The wheel studs were not replaced when the drum was replaced. I can only assume that something about the fit of the drum on the hub caused the studs to loosen in the hub and start to wallow out the hub until the pulled out. Since this obviously did not occur in a brief moment, I can also assume there had to be some noise and vibration that took place as this was happening. Therefore, I think it is time to have a looong talk with my now 18yr old son{this happened on his birthday} about paying attention to the vehicle you are driving and what it's telling you while you drive it. I'm gathering parts for a disc brake swap now.

Thanks cajunbull61

Old 10-24-2003, 09:03 AM
BbBlu250
Freshman User
good thing eveyone is safe and they all didnt come out...that would have hurt!!and yes thersw a bit of noises while this was happening.i just had that problem and thought it was the begining of ''DEATH WOBBLE" but luckily it was just my studs,3 had broke prolly from driving it home 30 miles....