1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

2001 E250 Issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2020, 08:59 AM
VanKo
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 E250 Issues?

Found a 2001 E250 with a 5.4 in absolutely excellent shape with only 130k on it. Haven’t seen a Carfax or physically inspected it yet but is there anything I should look out for or know about the 2001? I’m a little wary as this was towards the beginning of the 5.4 and I don’t know if it still had any issues.

Old 05-25-2020, 10:01 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,409 Likes on 1,112 Posts
That engine was at least 4 years into production in 2001----nothing to fear about it at all. You'll be going into this somewhat blindly--as all used car buys tend to be anyway----unless there is a history of maintenance. Things like spark plug changes, oil and transmission fluids & filters changed/exchanged as is recommended or suggested by other users like myself.

What I would do without fail is discover the actual oil pressure at hot idle with an actual gauge--the instrument cluster gauge is NOT a gauge at all---it just registers an on/off signal though the OP sending unit. I bought a 2005 with just over 140K miles that upon further inspection (a full year after initial purchase) showed I barely had eight PSI ( PSI)---normal is at least 25 PSI

Plugs MIGHT be an issue if they've never been changed---there's a proper procedure for this but typically its a straight ahead and relatively easy for most DIY's.

That's about it unless you're asking about something specific you're read on the internerd about these engines of the "early" years. Spoiler alert---most of that is BS.

Old 05-25-2020, 12:19 PM
dziwei
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Don't miss the gutter inspection on the roof, look for separation and failing paint all around and down the short seam at the top of the A pillars. If you can sneak anything between the bead of seam seal and the roof or gutter metal, there is a good chance there is rust down in there. It's a major job that really needs a scaffolding system to dig out and replace that gutter/seam sealant. I did it standing in the door openings and even sitting on the roof and was hating life until I built a small platform to stand on. Maybe a fast worker in a controlled environment could make quicker work of it but I spent a week digging, scraping, wire wheel, priming, sealing, painting...

Old 05-28-2020, 12:36 AM
VanKo
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
That engine was at least 4 years into production in 2001----nothing to fear about it at all. You'll be going into this somewhat blindly--as all used car buys tend to be anyway----unless there is a history of maintenance. Things like spark plug changes, oil and transmission fluids & filters changed/exchanged as is recommended or suggested by other users like myself.

What I would do without fail is discover the actual oil pressure at hot idle with an actual gauge--the instrument cluster gauge is NOT a gauge at all---it just registers an on/off signal though the OP sending unit. I bought a 2005 with just over 140K miles that upon further inspection (a full year after initial purchase) showed I barely had eight PSI ( PSI)---normal is at least 25 PSI

Plugs MIGHT be an issue if they've never been changed---there's a proper procedure for this but typically its a straight ahead and relatively easy for most DIY's.

That's about it unless you're asking about something specific you're read on the internerd about these engines of the "early" years. Spoiler alert---most of that is BS.
Thanks for the detailed reply, much appreciated. I plan on having the van checked out by my mechanic - things like oil pressure as you mentioned and general mechanical condition. I’ve heard so many horror stories over the years about 5.4 issues and I wasn’t sure which years to look out for. As far as engine quality/longevity goes, are the later 5.4s any better than the earlier ones? I know some had different valve configurations, are these important at all? Thanks again for your input!

Old 05-28-2020, 12:37 AM
VanKo
New User
Originally Posted by dziwei
Don't miss the gutter inspection on the roof, look for separation and failing paint all around and down the short seam at the top of the A pillars. If you can sneak anything between the bead of seam seal and the roof or gutter metal, there is a good chance there is rust down in there. It's a major job that really needs a scaffolding system to dig out and replace that gutter/seam sealant. I did it standing in the door openings and even sitting on the roof and was hating life until I built a small platform to stand on. Maybe a fast worker in a controlled environment could make quicker work of it but I spent a week digging, scraping, wire wheel, priming, sealing, painting...
I’m having flashbacks of doing that job once years ago... I don’t recall it being fun on any level. I’ll be sure to check this area on any van I look at.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:01 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
The E-Series did not ever receive the dreaded 3V heads which tend to be more maintenance sensitive than the stalwarts that are the 2V versions. The motor is so well designed (generally) that the later versions weren't necessarily more desirable than those built during the first run in model year 1997.

The only real issue with all Modular Motors was spark plugs being ejected (or "blown") from the heads, the real cause being debated even these days. Whether it was a minor defect in some head castings or improper installation there is a fix that most any competent independent repair shop can perform---not sure the dealers do this rather than replace the entire head. If the van you're looking to buy has not yet suffered this its unlikely it will happen from here on out. You might ask the current owner if they know of any issues relating to spark plugs.

ALSO ASK when the plugs were last changed---that's important to know if they've neglected that somewhat necessary maintenance step. If they don't know or can assure you they've been changed at some point that only means it should be done soon after you acquire it, preferably on a DIY basis as that's the best practice to assure a ham-handed shop employee not cause a striped head. There is a proper process for doing this without knowing when plugs were last changed.

Make sure your inspection mechanic actually connects an oil pressure test gauge to the engine and check OP at the hot idle---there's no other reliable way to check that.

Do keep in mind I'm driving a 2000 E250 w/5.4 motor, as many as 5 of the factory original COP's still in place and running great---290+ K miles so far. How's that for longevity on an "early" Modular Motor?

Old 05-28-2020, 05:19 AM
VanKo
New User
Originally Posted by JWA
The E-Series did not ever receive the dreaded 3V heads which tend to be more maintenance sensitive than the stalwarts that are the 2V versions. The motor is so well designed (generally) that the later versions weren't necessarily more desirable than those built during the first run in model year 1997.

The only real issue with all Modular Motors was spark plugs being ejected (or "blown") from the heads, the real cause being debated even these days. Whether it was a minor defect in some head castings or improper installation there is a fix that most any competent independent repair shop can perform---not sure the dealers do this rather than replace the entire head. If the van you're looking to buy has not yet suffered this its unlikely it will happen from here on out. You might ask the current owner if they know of any issues relating to spark plugs.

ALSO ASK when the plugs were last changed---that's important to know if they've neglected that somewhat necessary maintenance step. If they don't know or can assure you they've been changed at some point that only means it should be done soon after you acquire it, preferably on a DIY basis as that's the best practice to assure a ham-handed shop employee not cause a striped head. There is a proper process for doing this without knowing when plugs were last changed.

Make sure your inspection mechanic actually connects an oil pressure test gauge to the engine and check OP at the hot idle---there's no other reliable way to check that.

Do keep in mind I'm driving a 2000 E250 w/5.4 motor, as many as 5 of the factory original COP's still in place and running great---290+ K miles so far. How's that for longevity on an "early" Modular Motor?
I’ve been reading about the plug issue and the various fixes for it. I’ll be sure to get as much history on the van as I can, I generally do this with any used vehicle so I have an idea of how it was cared for. I’ll be sure to ask for the oil pressure test at hot idle - I want to be as thorough as possible. I’d like to DIY the plugs myself but may not be able to due to time restrictions. Is this something that would best be done at a Ford dealership instead of a local mechanic?

Sounds like your motor is in great shape. Despite the bad things I’ve read I really think these are great engines and the amount of high-milage ones still on the road are a testament to that. Thanks again!

Old 05-29-2020, 05:08 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by VanKo
I’d like to DIY the plugs myself but may not be able to due to time restrictions. Is this something that would best be done at a Ford dealership instead of a local mechanic?
A Ford dealership is not the best place because changing plugs is more a matter of concern for the customer's budget (without sacrificing quality) and experience with the engine and procedure. The problem farming this out is when/if a plug would strip out the average shop would not repair the threads without additional charges. While that's understandable its something that can be greatly minimized by DIY however if that's not possible you'd want to educate yourself on the most accepted process and discuss it with any shop you choose.

Looking in the Modular Motors sub-forum here on FTE will yield a wealth of information on the various procedures others have used in situations similar to yours---unknown plug change interval. The best procedures aren't overly complicated or requiring expensive single-use tools, they're more time consuming as its done in several steps sometimes pausing over night to allow recommended chemicals to work their magic.

I might have a link or two to this saved---if I do I'll post them here for your benefit.