Looking for replacement of badly rusted part

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 10:46 PM
Edward Nunez
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for replacement of badly rusted part

Rusted mount for line that goes into rear drive terrain

​​​​​​I'll take more photos if it is too hard to identify what it is. It's on the driver side and it goes down into the pipe connected to the differential , it has a rivet in it on the frame. Is there a online shop that sells this piece?

Also,t is there a site where I can easily look up diagrams for the name/part number of this stuff based on location of the part? Tried ford and multiple sites on Google and can only get parts list for maintenance.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:41 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 576 Likes on 382 Posts
Tell us a bit about the rig. Assuming it's a superduty. What model, year, etc.

Old 05-17-2020, 12:34 AM
Edward Nunez
Freshman User
Originally Posted by BWST
Tell us a bit about the rig. Assuming it's a superduty. What model, year, etc.
Sorry about that it's a 02 f350 4x4 7.3l

Old 05-17-2020, 03:57 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 859 Likes on 626 Posts
I have the same truck. So what is the problem you are trying to fix?

Looks like a brake line part, right? Where the rear flex brake line couples with the rear axle and distributes to both sides?

Google Tasca Ford, they have great documentation and images to sort thru.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:24 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
It looks like the bracket that holds the brake line connection. Is that even a part that can be bought?

Old 05-17-2020, 06:29 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 608 Likes on 395 Posts
You are probably headed to a auto recycler to harvest one.

edit: Summit Racing has brake line mounting clips....maybe something can be made to work.

Old 05-17-2020, 06:46 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,023 Likes on 1,994 Posts
Just look for an appropriately sized piece of angle iron, drill a couple of holes in it (1 for the hose, 1 for the rivet), drill out the rivet on the old bracket and replace it. The spring clip that holds the hose tight against the bracket can be bought here. That joint between the hard line and flexible hose will have to come apart first though. You may be looking at reflaring that hard line and replacing the flare nut along with the hose if it doesn't come apart clean.

Old 05-17-2020, 07:21 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Just look for an appropriately sized piece of angle iron, drill a couple of holes in it (1 for the hose, 1 for the rivet), drill out the rivet on the old bracket and replace it. The spring clip that holds the hose tight against the bracket can be bought here. That joint between the hard line and flexible hose will have to come apart first though. You may be looking at reflaring that hard line and replacing the flare nut along with the hose if it doesn't come apart clean.
The hole in the bracket isn't round, and it isn't a true hex either. It's a hex with one long side to orient the hose. I just have to think Tasca or AutoNation can get it.

And you bring up a good point....what do you suppose the rest of the hard line looks like?

Old 05-17-2020, 07:41 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 2,015 Likes on 1,198 Posts
You’ll want to replace that hard line and hose now. It will never be easier. The hose comes with a new ‘clip’ that holds it on the bracket.

Just clean and paint that bracket. It looks structurally sound enough to do its job from this pic.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:46 AM
Edward Nunez
Freshman User
Glad I asked you guys about this, I thought this was gonna be a simple rust frame clean up but I'm uncovering worms as the days go by. I removed the tank for the hutch and harpoon mod that I just finished. Was about to install it back after finishing the frame protection but looks like I need to hold off and replace these lines now. Will come back with updates after I find all the lines that need to be replaced with pics.

Old 05-18-2020, 12:23 PM
Edward Nunez
Freshman User
I was researching hard brake lines and replacing them with a long term solution. Decided to go with nickle copper but I don't want to pay for a brake line flaring kit that I will only use once. U nless there is a decent flaring tool that is not $200+. Is there a nickle copper kit for a 02 F350 long bed, ext cab 4x4 ?

Old 05-18-2020, 12:29 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,023 Likes on 1,994 Posts
Go with stainless steel if you are buying preformed. To quote from another thread:
Originally Posted by aawlberninf350
Classictube.com has pre-bent stainless kits, and I think you can get individual lines.

Old 05-18-2020, 02:39 PM
Dan V
Lead Driver
I purchased my prebent SSTL lines from SStubes.com or Finelines.com. I think the whole truck kit was $250. That's everything new from the MC on downstream. New braided SSTL line to the front calipers, and a braided SSTL line to the rear axle. The short flex lines to the rear calipers aren't in the kit though.

Are they perfect? Nope. They need a little tweak here, a little tweak there. They are like 90% though.

Old 05-19-2020, 09:20 AM
Edward Nunez
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Dan V
I purchased my prebent SSTL lines from SStubes.com or Finelines.com. I think the whole truck kit was $250. That's everything new from the MC on downstream. New braided SSTL line to the front calipers, and a braided SSTL line to the rear axle. The short flex lines to the rear calipers aren't in the kit though.

Are they perfect? Nope. They need a little tweak here, a little tweak there. They are like 90% though.
I like the kit from SSTubes, the braided lines is a nice deal and it even includes the clips I need to install to the frame. Going to order that kit! https://www.sstubes.com/collections/...e_and_hose_kit

Old 05-19-2020, 02:15 PM
SaintITC
Fleet Mechanic
Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
I just "replaced" the hard line from the front to that very bracket on my truck. "replaced" in that I re-routed NiCu a different way to get it done. NiCu is very easy to flare with hand tools, but as others have said, SS pre-formed would be the way to go now that everything else is out of the way. Two thoughts though, be sure the replacement lines are correct. The flex line I received (from that bracket to the axle) was about two inches shorter than my old one and wouldn't reach.

And when you do put it all back together, be careful. When my line behind the tank failed, I assumed it was corrosion. But when I pulled out the old line, there was a very clear crimp in the brake line that I probably did when re-installing my tank a few years ago where it failed.

Quick Reply: Looking for replacement of badly rusted part