Sponsored by: DP Tuner

BWST's F350 maintenance/upgrade thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 07:24 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,933 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Originally Posted by FordTruckNoob
Eek. How ham-fisted does one have to be to do that? I get nervous waiting for my torque wrench to click.
Modern cordless impact wrenches can literally bust a lug nut off tightening if you try. A few 100lbs of Torque will easily stretch the threads and often the bolt appears cross threaded when you try to take it off.

If you attempted to use an impact wrench to tighten my lug nuts, I would lose my temper!! I snug the nuts up on low Torque setting (60-80ft lbs) with impact wrench and then tighten them with torque wrench.

Old 05-16-2020, 07:46 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,963 Likes on 1,956 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Modern cordless impact wrenches can literally bust a lug nut off tightening if you try. A few 100lbs of Torque will easily stretch the threads and often the bolt appears cross threaded when you try to take it off.

If you attempted to use an impact wrench to tighten my lug nuts, I would lose my temper!! I snug the nuts up on low Torque setting (60-80ft lbs) with impact wrench and then tighten them with torque wrench.
Ah okay. I'm like you with the impact except mine is an old-fashioned air-driven model. Then tighten to final torque with a manual torque wrench.

Old 05-16-2020, 08:39 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,933 Likes on 1,161 Posts
Ah okay. I'm like you with the impact except mine is an old-fashioned air-driven model. Then tighten to final torque with a manual torque wrench.
Im not cool enough to have one of those new fangled battery impacts - yet. But I know people that exclusively use them to bust lug nuts on big trucks. Those things are BEASTS!!

Old 05-16-2020, 09:42 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 594 Likes on 387 Posts
It probably got cross-threaded for just one stud to be replaced. I can't think of any scenario where a stud broke and the rest of the unit bearing was okay. How lazy was the guy putting the new stud in to not press it in all the way though?
It was probably drawn in with the lug nut.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:35 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Im not cool enough to have one of those new fangled battery impacts - yet. But I know people that exclusively use them to bust lug nuts on big trucks. Those things are BEASTS!!
I got one last year when I was a mechanic on the drill rig. I can attest that the thing is a BEAST and I would NOT be zipping lug nuts down. It has 4 settings that each have their own torque value. Milwaukee....and I waited years to buy one and finally did when using it daily justified the price. Now I am REALLY glad I have it for changing flats on the road if needed. I highly recommend them if you feel the need. Oh, it weighs about 10 pounds LOL. It makes me kinda laugh every time I pick it up.

Old 05-16-2020, 11:59 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 496 Likes on 337 Posts
That type of impact gun has to be on the tool short list.

Or I get a decent air-powered one. Mine is pretty anemic, so it does not get used much.

Given I don't have a press handy, what's the best way to move this stud the rest of the way home? Will a C-clamp do it? Or do I grease up some flat washers and the stud itself, and use the lug nut against the flat washers to pull it in the rest of the way ? I could also push it out and coat the stud with some anti-seize or grease and try to pull it in place with one of these methods. What do you think?

Old 05-16-2020, 12:01 PM
FordTruckNoob
Do you have a ball joint press? It might work. The flat washer and lug nut thing runs the risk of stretching the stud like what SSJ was talking about.

https://www.harborfreight.com/ball-j...les-63279.html

Old 05-16-2020, 12:17 PM
BWST
Got Data?
That tool set should do it. Agree I don't want to risk stretching the stud.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:12 AM
BWST
Got Data?
While waiting for parts to arrive for the axle job, I'm chasing down the last few codes. I've cleared the codes and these come back:

===PCM DTC P1105===
Code: P1105 - Dual Generator Upper Fault
===PCM DTC P1106===
Code: P1106 - Dual Generator Lower Fault

===ECS DTC B1869===
Code: B1869 - Lamp Air Bag Warning Indicator circuit failure

I see the PO replaced all of the bulbs in the instrument cluster with LEDs. I wondered if the airbag indicator circuit needs to see more resistance than that provided by an LED. I'm going to pick up a few 74 size incandescent bulbs to test that theory. Could the airbag issue be related to the alternator codes?

There are LED's in the front turn signal housings - they blink too fast. Need to find the resistors needed to fix that, or go back to incandescent there.

For the alternators, the voltages I read at both batteries while the engine is running appear to be good, at 14.5V. The PO told me the alternators are recent replacements.

My cigarette lighter voltmeter is happy as well. I'm not sure how to further troubleshoot this one. I could pull the alternators and have them tested individually.

Old 05-18-2020, 09:25 AM
FordTruckNoob
Are the alternators running super hot? Where did the replacement alternators come from? Parts store alternators do not do well in our trucks. National Quickstart sells good alternators.

I tried to look up the pinpoint tests for you but there appear to be none.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-18-2020, 09:52 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Ultima is an Oreilly's brand. I'm not sure if they get hot. Will keep an eye on that. I wouldn't mind learning how to rebuild these with the right parts if needed. Thanks for the link. I know DB electrical was popular when I had my first truck, as was finding a rebuilder for the OEM alternator.

I don't see a case ground wire on the upper alt. Must be grounding through the mounts. I'll take a closer look at the lower alt.

Old 05-18-2020, 10:49 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Removed the seats to do some cleaning. I found a buck in change and an old ipod - can deduct that from the purchase price!

Also removed and cleaned the dash cupholder - so sticky with spills it would barely move. All cleaned up now.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:28 AM
BWST
Got Data?
When re-assembling the cup holder, I noticed the cartridge is still hard to push in. The pin marked with the arrow below needs some type of lubrication. What would you use to lube this plastic to metal interface?

Old 05-18-2020, 11:31 AM
FordTruckNoob
Silicone grease.

Old 05-18-2020, 11:35 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Are silicone grease and dielectric grease the same thing? Can't believe I've gone this long without having this stuff in my shop. I'll get some.

Quick Reply: BWST's F350 maintenance/upgrade thread