2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Not driving my truck right now

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2020, 09:57 PM
Joe T
Lead Driver
Received 945 Likes on 746 Posts
Originally Posted by claf
I am using a solar-powered tender and it's working just great, even on really cloudy days.

Excellent idea. I should get a few of those.

Old 04-11-2020, 11:37 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,149 Likes on 2,856 Posts
I use PM-22a (summer) or PM-23 (winter) so I don't have to worry about algae in the fuel tank. I should say that's one of the reasons I use the additive.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:38 AM
Work Truck Fanatic
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by KCJackson1
Water in the fuel filter may fall to the bottom, but in a tank, it can make its way to the top. That's the purpose of a dispersant... to keep any water from collecting anywhere.
I agree with you about the tires but water is heavier than fuel. I have never heard of it making it's way to the top of a tank (but maybe under certain circumstances it can). However a dispersant such as an emulsifier will keep it suspended from what I understand (admittedly I don't know if it stays suspended indefinitely without the agitation of driving). It is good to know that dealers rotate the position of vehicles on the lot

Old 04-12-2020, 07:25 AM
ejb69
More Turbo
Received 54 Likes on 44 Posts
Not exactly apples to apples. But my dad stores his truck over winter as my parents go to south Texas for the winter. His truck sits for 3 to 4 months not being started. As far as I know he just parks it in the garage. This year Fords pass put his new 19 in deep sleep and notified him .He was worried about it so I disconnected the battery for him. As far as I know it started up fine when he got home. He never said anything about it. We have a beater camp truck that’s sits a lot without being driven. It usually starts up fine.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:27 AM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 349 Likes on 246 Posts
I want to clarify a few things that were mentioned about tires getting flat spots and water floating to the top of diesel fuel. My reply about this not happening (especially the water/fuel thing) was in reference to the OP's question of his truck sitting for 30 days.......its not going to happen.
Now long term,......... the tires may need attention like being rolled a bit. And again like TeddyD said.........follow the manual. I also asked my dealer if they move their vehicles around from time to time, the answer was yes, but ONLY to provide different views of cars for customers that drive by daily, some cars get more exposure by being placed at the front, but they are not moved to maintain the tires or to circulate vital fluids. Again, just trying to keep it on topic to help answer the OP's question.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:38 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,149 Likes on 2,856 Posts
Originally Posted by jimzpsd
I want to clarify a few things that were mentioned about tires getting flat spots and water floating to the top of diesel fuel. My reply about this not happening (especially the water/fuel thing) was in reference to the OP's question of his truck sitting for 30 days.......its not going to happen.
Now long term,......... the tires may need attention like being rolled a bit. And again like TeddyD said.........follow the manual. I also asked my dealer if they move their vehicles around from time to time, the answer was yes, but ONLY to provide different views of cars for customers that drive by daily, some cars get more exposure by being placed at the front, but they are not moved to maintain the tires or to circulate vital fluids. Again, just trying to keep it on topic to help answer the OP's question.
Context does matter. Too often, general statements are put out there that under different context aren't appropriate or are simply incorrect. 30 days isn't that long and I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Mine truck sits for a couple months at a time. I don't worry about the tires. My RV trailer sits for at least 4 months at a time. The first couple of years that I had it, I put jack stands under the axles to take the weight off the tires. I didn't do that this year because it's a PITA and instead I just cranked up the stabilizer jacks. Yeah, I know there's a whole group of people that say the stabilizer jacks aren't designed for that but mine are not OEM and they can handle it. It's not like the tires are off the ground, anyhow.

During my truck's "quiet" time, I'm more concerned about the batteries and the fuel. I have a battery tender connected and - as stated in an earlier post - I use the Motorcraft fuel additives.

Old 04-12-2020, 09:47 AM
SARDiverDan
Cargo Master
Received 439 Likes on 249 Posts
I have had trucks sitting for 6-12 months at a time throughout my military career and I never had issues with “flat spots” or water in fuel and these trucks were not kept in the garage. About the only issue you might have after a few months would be battery life but if you put it on a maintainer, it should be good. My Ford Pass app sent me a reminder the other day to start and idle my truck for a bit to maintain the battery. I suppose it’s just a generic notice that goes out to everyone as I drive my truck occasionally. Just took a 150 mile trip yesterday.

Old 04-12-2020, 02:27 PM
claf
Mountain Pass
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
I did look this up in the manual. It suggests starting the engine every 15 days for 15 minutes and moving the vehicle to get lubricant distributed where it needs to go. No mention about fuel, which is odd to me since the manual covers the gasoline engine too. So I will do that-- go for a short drive occasionally. My old sporty car used to get flat spots on it's radial tires every morning, but about a mile of driving would fix that.