1961 - 1966 F-100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Slick Sixties Ford Truck

Wiper Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2003, 01:10 PM
Holly Creek Hillbilly
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Wiper Problems

My wipers on my '66 don't work correctly. They "bang" really hard when they return to the down (home) position. It seems like they don't stop where they should before reversing direction. They do this 90% of the time. The other 10% of the time they operate normally. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-15-2003, 07:22 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
Sounds like your linkage is worn out. I believe the bushings are available through Mac's or Dennis Carpenter. Motor haven doesn't carry them (at least a quick search didn't turn them up)
All of the linkage is under the dash and is pretty easy to remove for service.

Old 10-16-2003, 05:27 AM
ddavidv
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yep, linkage. BTDT.
The linkage arms have bushings in them that go bad. I'm not sure they are replaceable (?), I just got a used one to replace mine (I still have a spare passenger side one if you'd need it).
While that fixed the bulk of the problem, the driver's side wiper pivot is also loose and still contributes a 'bang' to the whole process, so now I have to replace that. Those are available new. Not hard to fix, just little clips that hold everything together and if you can contort yourself enough it's all accessible from under the dash, though it is made easier with the instrument cluster out.

Old 10-16-2003, 01:24 PM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
True! Pull the cluster and the defroster tubes. The pivots are available from Dennis Carpenter and the Junk Yard. The transmission arms are not available after market (they were but not anymore) so the Junk Yard for these as well. Read my tech article on this subject and one about converting a 72 pickup to delay wipers. This is an opportunity to spend a few hours and little money to solve your problem for years. Not to mention improving your driving pleasure and safety.

Old 10-16-2003, 02:40 PM
Holly Creek Hillbilly
New User
Thanks for the replies. William, where do i go to read the tech articles? Sorry but I'm new here. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2003, 07:02 AM
William
Logistics Pro
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
On the right side of the front page where you clicked on forums, scroll down to tech articles. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I really hate computers!

Old 10-25-2003, 12:29 PM
eknispel
Freshman User
Advice on Wiper Parts

I also have banging wipers on my '66 and have looked at the parts available on Dennis Carter. I am confused about which parts are necessary for fixing the banging wipers. I see part names like "wiper pivot shaft bezel" "wiper pivot to cowl gasket" and "wiper motor clevis". Looking for some advice before purchasing parts. Thanks.

Old 10-25-2003, 04:45 PM
Rosati
Postmaster
The bezel is the part on the outside of the truck that hold the wiper pivot to the cowl. You have to use a spanner type tool to remove and install them.
The gasket goes below the bezel on top of the cowl to seal out water.
It's pretty easy to get to the linkage as stated above. I'd suggest gaining access and watching them in action. You should be able to see what you need in a hurry. Be sure to have a helper spray water on the windshield so the blades slide rather than jerking back and forth.