Sponsored by: DP Tuner

S300 T4 .83ar housing

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2020, 06:28 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Received 812 Likes on 462 Posts
S300 T4 .83ar housing

Cruising around some diesel/turbo sites and came across this housing. It is a 80/73 .83ar T4 housing. It has me really wondering how it would perform on my S366. Towing is great with the 366 it is just the performance around 1700rpm. It will pull good and start building 4-5psi around 1700rpm but can get a little smokey. The PMT1 pcm I am running will hold 3rd gear lockup to around 1500rpm. This is fine but it gets a little smokey. In comes the .83 housing and the trade-offs to running such. For one, just because it is a .83ar doesnt mean it has anything on common with Gtp38/(kc38r 80/73) .84ar super duty housing. So far I have found no one that runs one. It may give the little bit of low end spool that I am looking for when towing. Would it start to get hot in the upper rpm? Will it even out because the turbo is spooling easier and moving more air right off the bat. As it is now the EGTs only rise when I am under the turbo a little bit. Tempted to give it a shot. I think it is a 76/68 housing machined to 80/73.

https://agpturbo.com/t4-divided-inlet-3-5-v-band-outlet-for-s300sx-borg-warner/

Old 03-04-2020, 07:01 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
Originally Posted by brokestroke
Cruising around some diesel/turbo sites and came across this housing. It is a 80/73 .83ar T4 housing. It has me really wondering how it would perform on my S366. Towing is great with the 366 it is just the performance around 1700rpm. It will pull good and start building 4-5psi around 1700rpm but can get a little smokey. The PMT1 pcm I am running will hold 3rd gear lockup to around 1500rpm. This is fine but it gets a little smokey. In comes the .83 housing and the trade-offs to running such. For one, just because it is a .83ar doesnt mean it has anything on common with Gtp38/(kc38r 80/73) .84ar super duty housing. So far I have found no one that runs one. It may give the little bit of low end spool that I am looking for when towing. Would it start to get hot in the upper rpm? Will it even out because the turbo is spooling easier and moving more air right off the bat. As it is now the EGTs only rise when I am under the turbo a little bit. Tempted to give it a shot. I think it is a 76/68 housing machined to 80/73.

https://agpturbo.com/t4-divided-inle...x-borg-warner/
For 150 bucks, give it a try. BTW did you read the review?

Posted by Calloway Adkins on 2nd Jan 2020

Great product! Fit and finish is perfect. I used the divided .83 turbine housing that had been modified for a 73mm turbine to replace the .91 housing on my s366. I have this installed on a 7.3 Powerstroke. Spool time improved by about 250-300 rpm. This takes the truck much more enjoyable to tow with. Highly recommend.

Old 03-04-2020, 07:39 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,897 Likes on 1,145 Posts
That is my only complaint with my S366sxe - it doesn’t light until 1800-2000rpms.

I was so impressed with the way Sous’s truck spooled the turbo at lower RPM’s it made me want to try something else. (250/200 injectors should do it! )

The tighter exhaust housing may limit some air volume at top end, but more of a problem would be high EBP deltas. But, that may never be an issue with smaller injectors.

Its really easy to change the ex housing and that’s cheap enough to give it a try!!! Keep us posted!

Old 03-04-2020, 08:35 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
That is my only complaint with my S366sxe - it doesn’t light until 1800-2000rpms.

I was so impressed with the way Sous’s truck spooled the turbo at lower RPM’s it made me want to try something else. (250/200 injectors should do it!

The tighter exhaust housing may limit some air volume at top end, but more of a problem would be high EBP deltas. But, that may never be an issue with smaller injectors.

Its really easy to change the ex housing and that’s cheap enough to give it a try!!! Keep us posted!
Didnt even notice the review on there. The 80/73 housing is $248, around $100 more than the 76/68.

Old 03-04-2020, 09:47 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,464 Likes on 2,853 Posts
What injectors are you running again? I want to say 160/30, but I don't really remember...

In my humble opinion, I don't think you will see much of an improvement with the turbine housing and might in fact digress in performance as you eluded to in your original post. The best thing about these SXE turbos is the way they flow and how they were designed by the Borg Warner. I am an advocate for modifying things to make them better, but not for modifying things to make them worse. Sometimes I try to make things better and the project just doesn't work out, but I do everything in my power to not let this happen.

I was pleased to hear a second opinion concerning how my truck runs and especially coming from Jason. I have stock 255,000 mile injectors and just don't really have anything to compare the performance to other than what I was running before. A change to the T4/SXE woke the truck up and each time I drive it I am very happy with the performance. The exact same turbo I have is in many other trucks just here on the FTE. From my OEM 255,000 mile injectors all the way up to The Brad who has 205/80 injectors. The 364.5 SXE performs great across the board. I know of people that have gone from the 366 SXE down to a 364.5 SXE even though they are running 175/80 injectors and much prefer the performance gains.

I have thought about going down to a 363 SXE based on what Ridedan2 has seen and the fact that I will NEVER go any bigger than 160/0 injectors. But, my budget does not really allow for such adventures into the unknown and my PMS has been in remission for just over a year now since installing the SXE.

I have said it before and I will say it again... At 1500 RPM the SXE is starting to spool up and by 2000 RPM the turbo can be well into the teens and up near 20 at times. In 3rd or 4th gear if I "wind er up" near 3000 RPM I can get well into the 30's and toward 40 PSI of boost. I don't like to do that though because I want my engine to last and depend on it each time I start it up.

I guess what I am saying is that for $250 to purchase a new turbine, I don't think you are going to see the results you want with the 366. Although, I am just one person that does not control your time or budget, so let us know what happens!

Old 03-04-2020, 10:27 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sous
What injectors are you running again? I want to say 160/30, but I don't really remember...

In my humble opinion, I don't think you will see much of an improvement with the turbine housing and might in fact digress in performance as you eluded to in your original post. The best thing about these SXE turbos is the way they flow and how they were designed by the Borg Warner. I am an advocate for modifying things to make them better, but not for modifying things to make them worse. Sometimes I try to make things better and the project just doesn't work out, but I do everything in my power to not let this happen.

I was pleased to hear a second opinion concerning how my truck runs and especially coming from Jason. I have stock 255,000 mile injectors and just don't really have anything to compare the performance to other than what I was running before. A change to the T4/SXE woke the truck up and each time I drive it I am very happy with the performance. The exact same turbo I have is in many other trucks just here on the FTE. From my OEM 255,000 mile injectors all the way up to The Brad who has 205/80 injectors. The 364.5 SXE performs great across the board. I know of people that have gone from the 366 SXE down to a 364.5 SXE even though they are running 175/80 injectors and much prefer the performance gains.

I have thought about going down to a 363 SXE based on what Ridedan2 has seen and the fact that I will NEVER go any bigger than 160/0 injectors. But, my budget does not really allow for such adventures into the unknown and my PMS has been in remission for just over a year now since installing the SXE.

I have said it before and I will say it again... At 1500 RPM the SXE is starting to spool up and by 2000 RPM the turbo can be well into the teens and up near 20 at times. In 3rd or 4th gear if I "wind er up" near 3000 RPM I can get well into the 30's and toward 40 PSI of boost. I don't like to do that though because I want my engine to last and depend on it each time I start it up.

I guess what I am saying is that for $250 to purchase a new turbine, I don't think you are going to see the results you want with the 366. Although, I am just one person that does not control your time or budget, so let us know what happens!
I am running stock injectors. The 366 does perform great and only slightly suffers below 1700rpm. Also love the fact that the turbo is SUPER quiet so changing the turbo out isnt on the list. I am also with you on the boost numbers staying in check. I have seen as high as 38psi with the 366/.91 and with all boost leaks fixed it will not break 1200* egt. Increasing the low end spool by 250-300rpm would be great. Hitting 38psi with a .91 already, gotta believe boost would be well over 40psi with a .83ar housing. Towing a 13k trailer the s366 is a beast so the trade-off likely isnt worth it. Unless EGTs are relatively unaffected it picks up a little low end spool. I have gone from a 366/.91 to a 366/1.0 on a different motor and have noticed the affects in the opposite direction. It is amazing how strong the truck pulls at only 10-15psi without even looking at the EGT gauge.

Old 03-04-2020, 10:32 AM
akcooper9
Laughing Gas
Received 60 Likes on 38 Posts
It is amazing how strong the truck pulls at only 10-15psi without even looking at the EGT gauge.
Ain't that the truth!

Old 03-04-2020, 10:54 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I am running stock injectors. The 366 does perform great and only slightly suffers below 1700rpm. Also love the fact that the turbo is SUPER quiet so changing the turbo out isnt on the list. I am also with you on the boost numbers staying in check. I have seen as high as 38psi with the 366/.91 and with all boost leaks fixed it will not break 1200* egt. Increasing the low end spool by 250-300rpm would be great. Hitting 38psi with a .91 already, gotta believe boost would be well over 40psi with a .83ar housing. Towing a 13k trailer the s366 is a beast so the trade-off likely isnt worth it. Unless EGTs are relatively unaffected it picks up a little low end spool. I have gone from a 366/.91 to a 366/1.0 on a different motor and have noticed the affects in the opposite direction. It is amazing how strong the truck pulls at only 10-15psi without even looking at the EGT gauge.
Right now I am in the process of editing and clipping video footage I took a week ago on our way to the beach. We have traveled this route many, many times with the MST and I would have to downshift into 4th numerous times and 3rd a few times. There are no grades or mountains, but the turbo acted the same on these long rolling hills as it did in the mountains of TN, VA, WV, NC and north GA.

There is no comparison between the MST and the SXE, there just isn't... Not in anyway other than they are both turbochargers that are mounted onto the 7.3L in my truck. I will update my SXE thread when the video is on YouTube and you will see how quiet the 364.5 SXE is. I have always claimed it was about at loud as the MST with the AIS even though I am running the 6637 with the SXE.

When the boost is between 10 and 20 PSI, there is gobs of power and no need to push the PSI past 20. My opinion was only that my friend and I wish you luck in your decision. Keep us updated!

Old 03-05-2020, 07:13 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Been thinking about this a bit more.

Disclaimer, this math is likely wrong but makes some sense when trying to figure out what to expect. Based solely on the size difference between the .83/.91/1.0 using the .91 as a baseline. Temps and boost #s ran with a PHP 80hp file.

Old 07-02-2020, 06:43 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,613 Likes on 956 Posts
Was there any follow up on trying this housing? I just ordered the.83 from AGPTurbo, I will be swapping it in place of my .91 housing on my 364.5, I am running 160/0 injectors. Planning on getting a baseline before the swap so I can report on the exact difference it makes.

Old 07-02-2020, 07:58 AM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,619 Likes on 1,141 Posts
I spoke to AGPTurbos yesterday and their turbo expert was very helpful. Although he was not a Ford guy so he was having to do the math and such on the fly during our conversation.

He mentioned the 364.5 with the 68mm exhaust turbine as possibly the best solution for my driving style. He was pretty confident the 364.5 was correctly sized for the 7.3 and wanted to play with the exhaust side. He also suggested starting with the .91 housing on the 68 so as not to overshoot the goal. This would of course involve purchasing an entirely new super core and housing(housings sized to turbine).

His more cost effective suggestion was to pair the divided .83 with the current 73mm turbine. This is actually his “real” suggested route but thought the 68mm turbine would ultimately be better. He also said absolutely do NOT go to the single port .88 housing.

So, has anyone here ran the 68mm turbine?

Another thing to note from the conversion was his advice on the impeller side. He stated the 1.5mm difference between the 363 and 364.5 would only net around a 50rpm change. I know this has been a topic of discussion and I was really torn over which version to get before my purchase so I wanted to be sure and share the info. As mentioned above he felt the 364.5 was correct for our application at least with fairly stock injectors as we did not discuss bigger.

Old 07-02-2020, 09:22 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
@RacinJasonWV , according to my records and the chart below, there is no .83 available for the 74/80mm turbine wheel. In addition, the only .88 housing I see is the single/open port, which they recommended against. This list may not be 100% complete either so there may be other options available now...

Are you seeing something different than I am?

Old 07-02-2020, 11:54 AM
brokestroke
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by Sous
@RacinJasonWV , according to my records and the chart below, there is no .83 available for the 74/80mm turbine wheel. In addition, the only .88 housing I see is the single/open port, which they recommended against. This list may not be 100% complete either so there may be other options available now...

Are you seeing something different than I am?

The first post in the thead has a link to the
83ar 74/80 housing. You have to click the options tab to get to it.

https://agpturbo.com/t4-divided-inlet-3-5-v-band-outlet-for-s300sx-borg-warner/

Old 07-02-2020, 12:41 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,619 Likes on 1,141 Posts
The first post in the thead has a link to the
83ar 74/80 housing. You have to click the options tab to get to it.

https://agpturbo.com/t4-divided-inle...x-borg-warner/
⬆️ What brokestroke said. I believe this is a custom housing modified by AGPTurbos.

So I left a part of the story out. I spoke to TCS first and Jerry recommended I call AGP because they have a lot of custom parts.

Sous you are correct. The .88 only comes in the single port design (or at least as far as I know). AGP (wish I could rely the gentleman’s name) said not to use it. I’m not sure if he was only saying that based on changing from my .91 split port or in general if buying from scratch. My opinion is he meant do not use the single port at all for our application.

Old 07-02-2020, 12:59 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I see it now... It must be a custom piece because of the $258 price tag on the housing. Interesting to say the least, I might have to look into this as an option... I am sure I could resell my .91 AR housing for a decent price to make up some of the cost of the .83 AR housing.

Quick Reply: S300 T4 .83ar housing