2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

6.7 diesel motor toast-advice needed-Ford Dlr told me motor shot at 11k

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 11:38 AM
Sagnasty
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by 67L48
Suddenly, my DW issue seems quaint and trivial.

The beauty of the CP4 issue is that it's ubiquitous across the manufacturers. Bosch did an amazing job of selling its product, but a fairly dreadful job of actually designing it for its intended use. My brother had a 2016 GMC Denali Duramax that had an exploded CP4 pump at ~45,000 miles. He was driving from WA to KY and it blew in KS. GM covered it under warranty, but the repair (including getting parts) was a 3-week job. What do you do then ... stranded in KS for 3 weeks? He traded it in on a new 2018 so he could keep moving.

Just like the DW, the manufacturers have learned an important lesson: if you have a critical design flaw, don't fix it ... double-down on that mistake, pass the pain to the customer, and begin building out your defense strategy.
I was also a victim of the infamous CP4 that grenaded in my Duramax due to the incompatabilty with American Diesel and will never touch another one. The problem is that the Big 3 all used the same pump (some still do) and they will NEVER admit falt unlessed forced by the courts. Even then, the would be looking at hundreds of millions of dollars to recall and replace which would likley cause damage to the current economy.

Between stressing about the CP4, Emissions (DEF) issues, fuel additives and looking for quality fuel, I went back to a 6.2 and could not be happier. For the price of diesel injectors alone, I can replace my current motor for less. This is not to bash on the diesel engine as I loved the power of everyone I have owned.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:43 AM
sky Cowboy
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 250 Likes on 177 Posts
I would be calling BS right to the service managers face.
It should have given you a warning light long before the water separator had enough water in it to get to the engine.
Something really stinks with the dealers story!
I hope you get a satisfactory resolution to this nightmare!

Old 02-20-2020, 12:51 PM
smitsz713
4wd Low
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
******UPDATE********just got back from dealer. new fuel lines, need to flush tank and essentially a “new fuel system” only I spoke with tech working on it and I saw water contam. present in pan.

Old 02-20-2020, 01:30 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Your insurance will want to go after Ford as to a.) why it never set off a water in Fuel warning light, b.) can you show you drained the water separator, changed Fuel filter when it was supposed to be changed? Best case would be the dealers did all your services and they would have to prove this to your insurer. All reports from services mention no issues with water in fuel, check engine light or stored codes of any kind that can be linked back? If they scrubbed it, then insurer will be able to argue this when they subrogate. Absolutely no other codes, engine issues, noises, concerns, this is on Ford for not having a proper water detection? Before you take that truck home, you need insurance to pay the bill. Your insurance will want all your fuel receipts as well, this will really help them to find hte issue. Last 5 fuel stations should be checked for water. I wonder if someone dosed your fuel tank with water? Locking fuel cap?

Old 02-20-2020, 01:34 PM
jwduke
5th Wheeling
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This is REALLY a common problem with Bosch's CP4 fuel pump. When I owned a Dodge Ram with the Cummins engine, there were several problems with it reported over on Turbo Diesel Register. And FCA was handling it just like Ford. Sad...

Old 02-20-2020, 07:16 PM
Fordplatty15
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jimzpsd
If water is the culprit, how is it getting past the water separator? Last July I had a five week episode of a crank over but no start, dealership was stumped, no codes, nothing, THEN they tried the water in fuel story...............LONG story short, turned out to be a bad fuel pump control module. So much for "their" water in fuel theory.
They replaced the part under warranty (msrp $35) truck has been fine since.
Because the water separator can only separate demulsified fuel/water, not emulsified.

Old 02-20-2020, 07:39 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Fordplatty15
Because the water separator can only separate demulsified fuel/water, not emulsified.
Why would an additive with emulsifier be suggested?

Water from the fuel station pump is what, demulsified or emulsified?

Old 02-20-2020, 10:46 PM
yardbird
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 332 Posts
My guess the emulsifier is in the fuel so all the crap in biofuel will stay together and not separate.

Old 02-20-2020, 11:20 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
I did a quick search and found this.....https://www.ezoil.com/resources-dies...emulsification

Old 02-21-2020, 10:19 AM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,069 Likes on 823 Posts
more on the subject of emulsifiers vs de-emulsifiers

https://opti-lube.com/blog/emulsifier-vs-demulsifier/

Old 02-21-2020, 11:38 AM
porthole
Cargo Master

Received 46 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by StonedGrey
The water/fuel separator can only take on so much water before its inundated. Then water gets to the CP4 pump. Then the pump destroys itself the moment water comes in. Putting DEF in the diesel tank will do the same as DEF is mostly water and ammonia.
I still lay fault at the hands of Ford. A warning should be giving when the water/fuel separator is 1/2-3/4 full. Or take it a step farther and have the truck shut off when the Water/fuel separator gets to 2/3-3/4 full.
I dont know exactly how the water/fuel separator works. It may fill up too quickly to be intervened. But i doubt thats the case.

As far as a new engine goes. That seems excessive. What rusted? Piston rings? The pump had to stop pumping as soon as water got to it. Therefore, not that much H2O should have gotten into the engine to cause catastrophic engine failure. It didnt blow up the CP4 pump and then keep pumping a bunch of water into the engine. Pumps blown up. No way to get anything into the engine after the pump blows.
at worst i could see having to pull the crank and pistons to replace the rings.

many others have experienced this CP4 failure from water contamination but i have never read any post of a entirely new engine from this.

Get more opinions from other Ford service centers

Just use a filter that is screen small enough to not let water molecules pass.

When fuel injection started showing up in cars in the 80's that is how Chrysler handled the water in fuel issue (probably the others as well).
Filter sock on the pickup was too fine to allow water.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:08 PM
ForCal
Postmaster
Originally Posted by speakerfritz
more on the subject of emulsifiers vs de-emulsifiers

https://opti-lube.com/blog/emulsifier-vs-demulsifier/

The link I posted didn't seem to suggest one over the other, but these guys have a definite opinion on which is better.

So, what is the general consensus on this forum, emulsifier or demulsifier?

Old 02-21-2020, 12:28 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Ford specifies a demulsifier such that the water droplets are large enough they CANT go through the water separator. If you add a emulsifier the water droplets are small enough to go through, which is what does all the damage. Water is naturally immisible in diesel fuel. If the fuel station treated with a water emulsifier (to cover up an issue) that would explain how the fuel was contaminated with water, the water in fuel light didn't come on, and the damage was done. The WIF measures conductivity and this explains no light, no codes. This is what the insurer needs to no to subrogate damages on your behalf.

Old 02-21-2020, 12:50 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,780 Likes on 1,692 Posts
Well, there are definitely tell tale signs of fuel contamination. I woulld go to the shop that says it is contaminated and ask them to show me a sample from my truck, along with the damaged parts. That shouldn’t be too difficuult for them.

Old 02-22-2020, 08:34 AM
Swampcreek
Junior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Sagnasty

Between stressing about the CP4, Emissions (DEF) issues, fuel additives and looking for quality fuel, I went back to a 6.2 and could not be happier. For the price of diesel injectors alone, I can replace my current motor for less. This is not to bash on the diesel engine as I loved the power of everyone I have owned.
Well that was everything I was thinking! Saved me a lot of writing! I love the sound and power of a diesel but these traps are the result of EPA regs and are just too much for me (Thanks gubmnt!), I loved my old '97 PS but I'm running a 6.2 gasser now.

Quick Reply: 6.7 diesel motor toast-advice needed-Ford Dlr told me motor shot at 11k