2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

What Caster with what level

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2020, 06:34 PM
03griz
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
What Caster with what level

So I have searched this and other forums trying to figure out what caster bushing others have used with what level combination. I just put a 1.5 inch spacer in my 2019 and took it to the dealer for the tailgate recall and asked at the same time to do an alignment at the same time. Picked up my truck and dealer says no need to put it on the rack, we do these all the time and gave me the part number for the 1 degree ford caster shim. I sort of thought are they giving me that number because that is the biggest one that Ford has? So that is when I started searching.

It quickly because apparent that many people have 2.5 " levels and used the 23268 - 2.3 degree and 23269 - 2.6 degree shims
I even found people with 1.5" spacer's using these shims successfully.

Others with 2.5" used 2 degree shims which come with the Carli kit. Some with 2.5 Readylift spacers used 2 degree as well.

What is hard to track is if people are putting them in there Diesel or Gas, snowplow prep or not, spacer or springs.

I would like it if we could capture all that info on one thread to make it easier for people who are trying to figure this out.

So people want to contribute to this thread can they fill in the following.

Gas or Diesel
Level amount
Spacer or new springs - If Spacer do they have snowplow springs?
Shims used
How well the steering was and if extra steering shocks were required to get rid of bumpsteer or if they had death wobble.

Thank you

Old 02-19-2020, 06:57 PM
Daniel Reinard
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thank you for posting this. I've been researching the exact same. Looking at a 1.5" level for a 2020 and trying to decide what shim to use. With a 1.5" being so small I was just going to do the install and take to an alignment shop to get a readout. From there one can buy the shim to get to the desired spec. 3.5-4 degrees seems to be the favored spec.

Old 02-19-2020, 07:03 PM
03griz
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by Daniel Reinard
Thank you for posting this. I've been researching the exact same. Looking at a 1.5" level for a 2020 and trying to decide what shim to use. With a 1.5" being so small I was just going to do the install and take to an alignment shop to get a readout. From there one can buy the shim to get to the desired spec. 3.5-4 degrees seems to be the favored spec.
Exactly what I planned on doing until dealer said just stick the one degree in. Then I started to think I can buy alot of bushings for 120 bucks a pop to do a alignment. So figured if I can figure out a bushing to try I will do so and if it works I will then have it aligned......

Old 02-19-2020, 09:37 PM
03griz
Mountain Pass
So I measured from center of axle to pivot on radius arm. About 38 inches. So put a straight edge on the bench. At the 38 inch point I stuck small 2 x 4 so lifting it 1.5" measured the degrees from on the bench to 1.5 inches up at 38 inches. Iphone measured 2.4 degrees change, not sure how accurate the iphone is. On the passenger side I can read the shim that is in and it says -0.12. On the driver's side I can't read it but if it the same shims someone else posted it would mean my left shim is -0.25. So I figure I am going to try the following. Right side 2 degree, giving me 2.12 degrees more that stock, left side 1.75 degree, giving me 2 degrees more that stock. This set up will result in less castor on the crown side of the road, just like factory.

Old 02-19-2020, 09:42 PM
mhoefer
Postmaster
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
It depends, if you don’t want a death Wobble, I would measure caster before mods, then use the appropriate shims to get it where it was good. Caster is supposed to be 2-3 * but some are fine at 1, others are better at 4. Also, even with a small level lift, depending on how it’s set up and working well, tracking well, an adjustable track bar and several adjustments could be done and may well be necessary to avoid DW.

tell them you want it on the rack before you do anything and you want the print out showing all specs measured, both sides, including tracking. Then tell them what you want it adjusted too. I had my truck done when I changed tires the first time, I paid for it, I want the report. My truck drives extremely well and I want to know what I need to adjust back to when I do a front lift, smash a curb, have bad handling issues with new tires.

as always, measure twice, cut (or shim) once!

Old 02-26-2020, 06:52 AM
03griz
Mountain Pass
I have done so far is this. I changed my mind last minute and bought 1.25 degree and 1.5 degree caster shims. 1.25 went in on driver side as I was trying to copy the factory less caster on the driver side for the road crown. What I found it that this got rid of the light steering feel on the highway. What is still there is the feedback going over bumps and it now has a slight pull to the right. The pull to the right points me to not enough castor but I am not really sure because when it had the factory caster shims it had no pull just the light steering and bump steer. I am thinking I am going to either thow in the 23268 and 23269 shims and compare or take it in to have it put on the machine. Have not made up my mind. Will share when I figure it out........

Old 03-24-2020, 09:08 PM
PENOBSCOT
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 03griz
I have done so far is this. I changed my mind last minute and bought 1.25 degree and 1.5 degree caster shims. 1.25 went in on driver side as I was trying to copy the factory less caster on the driver side for the road crown. What I found it that this got rid of the light steering feel on the highway. What is still there is the feedback going over bumps and it now has a slight pull to the right. The pull to the right points me to not enough castor but I am not really sure because when it had the factory caster shims it had no pull just the light steering and bump steer. I am thinking I am going to either thow in the 23268 and 23269 shims and compare or take it in to have it put on the machine. Have not made up my mind. Will share when I figure it out........
Curious as to what you have determined at this point. I recently installed 1.5" lower spacers, adjustable track bar and dual steering stabilizer kit. Debating on shimming before getting it aligned.

Old 03-24-2020, 09:55 PM
Daniel Reinard
Senior User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I spoke with Trevor at PMF when I ordered a 1.5" spacer level, track bar and dual stabilizers. He includes shims in the kit and it's just one size no matter the spacer size. He states the trucks like as much caster as fits in a shim. I think the 2.3 shims are what comes. I'm still waiting on the kit to arrive. Once its installed I'll report back.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:11 PM
RockyMtnF350
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2019 F350, I did a 2.5" Icon level with the supplied 2.3 deg shims. Ended up at 2.5 and 2.6 after alignment. I also did the FOX TS stabilizer. Truck only has 1800 miles on it but it tracks and drives great.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:24 PM
03griz
Mountain Pass
I ended up ordering and installing the 23268 and 23269 shims. Truck drives almost as good as stock. I say that because it pulls a little to the right. Almost not noticible but still there. Need to take it for an alignment now and get the numbers - waiting for COVID crisis to be over. Anyways the loose feeling and feeling every little bump in the steering is gone. Return to center is very good. I will report my caster numbers whenever I finally get it to an alignment show. Now that I know adding about 2.5 degrees caster is fine with my 1.5 inch level I may buy OUO drop brackets in the future. Always good to have something on the list!

Old 03-26-2020, 10:56 PM
PENOBSCOT
Mountain Pass
I ended up ordering and installing the 23268 and 23269 shims. Truck drives almost as good as stock. I say that because it pulls a little to the right. Almost not noticible but still there. Need to take it for an alignment now and get the numbers - waiting for COVID crisis to be over. Anyways the loose feeling and feeling every little bump in the steering is gone. Return to center is very good. I will report my caster numbers whenever I finally get it to an alignment show. Now that I know adding about 2.5 degrees caster is fine with my 1.5 inch level I may buy OUO drop brackets in the future. Always good to have something on the list!
So you are going to add the OUO brackets with the 1.5" level?

Old 03-28-2020, 12:57 AM
03griz
Mountain Pass
I may, not sure yet.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:56 AM
PENOBSCOT
Mountain Pass
I may, not sure yet.
That's food for thought for sure. I stopped by Les Schwab the other day and they want $90.00 to just give me a print out of my existing alignment. The ***-manager was royally confused that I did not want him turning wrenches on my truck. I guess I will bite the bullet and get it done so I know what direction to go in. I wish I would have had a pre alignment done before adding the 1.5" blocks. I like the idea of adding the OUO brackets instead of adding shims.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:54 PM
Brats18
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is my alignment sheet after a 2.5" level with Carli coils and 2 degree caster shims on my 2018 F-350 4x4 with plow and camper packages. The truck currently pulls to the right, has light steering that is a little scary on the highway, and has degraded return to center. I am not happy with the handling and am taking it back tomorrow.

The attached alignment sheet "before" is with the Carli coils and caster shims installed in my driveway before any alignment. The after is what I received from the alignment shop.

If anybody has any tips on how to solve the steering problems I would appreciate it. I will post an updated alignment sheet once I get the problem solved in an attempt to show what specs are good and which are bad.

Old 03-30-2020, 10:21 PM
digz
Mountain Pass
Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts
Thrust needs to be negative correct? I thought positive can cause pull to the right.

Quick Reply: What Caster with what level