1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

is lifting....LIFTING?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2003, 11:48 PM
TOPFLOR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile is lifting....LIFTING?

hello
i am curious if i could simply order some 5" drop hangers, an addaleaf and a spring pack spacer plate for the front and run a spring pack with blocks for the rear...to obtain 8" lift....would it look the same as if i were to put say an 8" superlift all spring kit on my truck?

and does superlift sell a kit with rear blocks and add-aleaf instead of all spring?

im new to the whole sfa thing so im trying to balance lift with economy...don't plan on offroading truck..shredded up my last truck doing that ....

although it still needs to be safe you know? thanks a bunch in advance!
Siyé

Last edited by TOPFLOR; 10-13-2003 at 11:52 PM.
Old 10-14-2003, 06:42 AM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What's a "spring pack spacer plate?"

Old 10-14-2003, 08:10 AM
daimon1054
Posting Guru
If hangers for lifting are the same a lowering you will only get 1/2 of the length. EX a 4" shackle lowered the truck 2 inches.

As for the blocks it will look the same but will cause axle wrap because of the longer moment are created. The better choice is to replace the spring pack but many do use blocks.

Old 10-14-2003, 08:23 AM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Originally posted by daimon1054
If hangers for lifting are the same a lowering you will only get 1/2 of the length. EX a 4" shackle lowered the truck 2 inches.

Nope, a hanger and shackle will give you the amount of lift claimed.......a 4.5" hanger and shackle will give you 4.5" of lift.

Now some guys do just install lift shackles and they will only give half of the height........but they rotate the pinion down some so you really can't use them to get over 1" of lift.

Old 10-14-2003, 06:52 PM
TOPFLOR
Senior User
Originally posted by RRMike
What's a "spring pack spacer plate?"
basically a metal plate ~ 1" thick which goes under the spring pack?

Old 10-14-2003, 09:34 PM
Fordman4x4
Senior User
Sounds like front blocks to me... a big no no. They can really screw up your whole steering geometry. Go with either the hanger kit or lift springs, or both but no blocks in the front.

Nelson

Old 10-14-2003, 11:01 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
You mention that you're kinda new at the lift kit process?? Is that what you're saying?

If so you should definately buy a kit. There are a lot more considerations than just making the truck sit higher. You've got driveline, brake line, sway bar, track bar and steering issues to address. Unless you know how to make these things work you are going to have a POS if you just slap some hangers and an add a leaf on the front and more blocks out back.

PS What is the picture of the Chevy for

Old 10-15-2003, 12:41 AM
TOPFLOR
Senior User
not blocks.....i remember one of the moderators mentioning a metal plate with a hole in the center so that a bolt can go through it....

anyway ya im new to the world of straight front axles...as my last truck ( in the pic) was ifs.. i posted it as reference to why i will not be offroading this one(on account that i ragged it out).
i installed the ifs lift kit so this one will be a piece of cake...just wondering what i should do.. thanks guys
Siyé

Old 10-15-2003, 06:21 AM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Let it be known that I have never ever ever said that any type of plate or block used in the front axle is ok.

As Fordman4x4 said, It's a big NO NO

Old 10-15-2003, 04:29 PM
Fordman4x4
Senior User
TOPFLOR, there's no need to give up wheelin. I don't know what you mean by "ragged up" , but i'm not surprised giving it was chevy......and IFS at that.

You'll find that your SD is a heck of a lot stronger. With a 6" lift and 36's mine will just about go anywhere, just gotta watch the paint.

Nelson

Old 10-15-2003, 04:55 PM
TOPFLOR
Senior User
Originally posted by Fordman4x4
TOPFLOR, there's no need to give up wheelin. I don't know what you mean by "ragged up" , but i'm not surprised giving it was chevy......and IFS at that.

You'll find that your SD is a heck of a lot stronger. With a 6" lift and 36's mine will just about go anywhere, just gotta watch the paint.

Nelson
replaced upper ball joint, complete rebuild of rear end...shot tranny, 2 damaged tail gates, scratched paint, flooded interior, cracked windshield, cracked grill, damaged rear bumper, shorted and broken fogs that's just off the top of my head...probably forgot a few others...although i never had any trouble with the engine. GM makes a great product provided you DONT modify it imo
Siyé

Old 10-15-2003, 05:32 PM
RRMike
Posting Guru
Originally posted by TOPFLOR
not blocks.....i remember one of the moderators mentioning a metal plate with a hole in the center so that a bolt can go through it....

anyway ya im new to the world of straight front axles...as my last truck ( in the pic) was ifs.. i posted it as reference to why i will not be offroading this one(on account that i ragged it out).
i installed the ifs lift kit so this one will be a piece of cake...just wondering what i should do.. thanks guys
Siyé
I mentioned the front spring spacers once upon a time. It was as an alternative to the Edge mini spring pack (which is essentially a couple thick short leaves 2" thick whose only function is to space the front springs up 2". I said I could make essentially the same thing myself providing they were drilled and had a centerpin through them I think they would be ok.

All in all though I think you need tp purchase a kit as I mentioned above. There are a lot of other things that come in a kit that you will need. To buy a track bar drop bracket, brake line relocation, Drop pitman arm, front shackles, add a leaf's, new U-bolts, another set of blocks for the rear, new u-bolts again, new shocks and a carrier bearing drop bracket plus whatever I forgot, you are going to spend more money than you can buy a 8" kit for that comes with all this stuff.

Old 10-15-2003, 06:20 PM
TOPFLOR
Senior User
Originally posted by RRMike
I mentioned the front spring spacers once upon a time. It was as an alternative to the Edge mini spring pack (which is essentially a couple thick short leaves 2" thick whose only function is to space the front springs up 2". I said I could make essentially the same thing myself providing they were drilled and had a centerpin through them I think they would be ok.

All in all though I think you need tp purchase a kit as I mentioned above. There are a lot of other things that come in a kit that you will need. To buy a track bar drop bracket, brake line relocation, Drop pitman arm, front shackles, add a leaf's, new U-bolts, another set of blocks for the rear, new u-bolts again, new shocks and a carrier bearing drop bracket plus whatever I forgot, you are going to spend more money than you can buy a 8" kit for that comes with all this stuff.

ahh ok that's what it was! thanks for the info.i will be going with the 8" kit..looks like i am leaning towards superlift, provided it is a complete kit..... will i be needing x-over steering with 8" and will i be fine running 38's assuming i have only 3.73 gears.. i burned up my last tranny running too tall a tire...dont' want to come close to doing it again ya know? thanks
Siyé

Old 10-15-2003, 07:08 PM
Yeti
Post Fiend
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
With a 8" you will not need cross over steering, and the SL kit comes as a full spring package or with blocks for the rear, your choice. 38"s will be close but ok for streeting. I ran 3.73 for a few days with my 38's not the greatest setup, but It worked.
Great on the highway, not so good in the city, gear swap would be advisable

Old 10-15-2003, 07:35 PM
02superstroker
Posting Guru
What he is talking about is another leaf on the bottom of the spring pack that is only about 4" long. It will give you another 1/2 or whatever lift. It is actually bolted onto the spring plate just as if it was another leaf.. jsut small. Procomp uses this on their front spring packs for the heavier V10's and diesels.

A good idea? Who knows.