General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Do you carry and maintain a charged fire extinguisher in your truck or other vehicles?

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2002, 03:01 PM
winfordr
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you carry and maintain a charged fire extinguisher in your truck or other vehicles?

You triggered something else when you metioned the rechargable light.
I bought one (atually several - used for gifts) of those 1 million cp rechargeables from harbor freight. They come with 12v adapter and 120 v charger, will run for about 20 minutes on a charge, and will light up several hundred feet ahead. They are now only $9. Problem is they are so large, it's hard to find a place in the truck for it.

I also bought a smaller one, 500K cp which will run for an hour on a charge - same deal, but much more easy to pack.

Winford

Old 07-25-2002, 06:42 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep one in all my trucks and van. I was driving my Aerostar home when I saw a woman jumping up and down and screaming. Her car was on fire. I got there right before a truck driver and got it out. We saved her car. I would say maybe she might start carrying one.

The cause ... whoever had worked on the car had let the air duct with the metal spire running through it contact the battery and in "short" order the paper covering wore through and made contact with the paper. It set the air duct on fire and started on the rest of the car. Good thing it was a 10 BC fire extinguisher.

I always carry at least one off-road in case I set grass or dry pine needles on fire with my exhaust.

Old 07-25-2002, 07:33 PM
GammaDriver
Posting Guru

Good posts, but now I'm thinking I'd also like to read posts from those who voted "No." or "Never thought about it."

Guess I should have left a place for "No, and don't plan to."

Old 07-26-2002, 03:14 AM
briefly
Senior User

Five or six years ago my family and I were returning home from a campout weekend. Tired, dirty, and about a mile from our off ramp we found a guy with an older RV, smoking by the roadside. I have always carried a small extinguisher in the truck; I pulled it out, grabbed my gloves and told my wife to take the boys up the off ramp and to the fire station about a mile from our house for more help.

She did great, the firefighters arrived about 10 minutes later, but my little 2 pound job wasn't enough. Even pulling a bunch of burning upholstery out of the coach couldn't save the motor home. Sadly, the guy driving the old RV had everything he owned in it, was under-insured, (message there for sure), and was now left virtually homeless.

Monday morning came and I acquired big eight pounders for the truck, work car and wife's car.
They look sort of dumb, and out of place and INDUSTRIAL, but I'll be damned to be caught short again.

Old 07-27-2002, 07:46 AM
DailyDriver
Elder User

>Good posts, but now I'm thinking I'd also like to read posts
>from those who voted "No." or "Never thought about it."
>
>Guess I should have left a place for "No, and don't plan
>to."
>
>
>

Umm...well, you'd figure I'd carry one in my car since I had a car fire under the hood. Not too much damage because a person with a fire extinguisher came to my rescue. It could have been a lot worse. That was about 18 or 20 yrs. ago. I had thought about it at the time but I just never got around to it.

When we got our daughter a Volkswagan beetle I made sure she carried one, mounted to where she could get easy access. I had heard that those air cooled engines had a bad reputation for engine fires. I had seen one on the freeway and several burned up beetles in the junk yard. Still I did not carry one in my car. Don't ask me why.

When I bought my truck it came with an extinguisher in it already. How lucky can I get? When we went on a recent trip I took it out of the truck and carried it with us in the car, just in case. I figure I should get one for the car and perhaps a new one for the truck. Can't be too careful. But in case it takes me another 18 or 20 years, somebody remind me will ya?

Old 07-28-2002, 06:53 PM
sandrat
Posting Guru

I Should get one for my truck before I leave again this fall for school. Problem is, where could I put it? I have a cover on the bed, so getting to it back there would take too much time in an emergency, and I have seats out of a 97 extended cab in a 91 standard cab, so there isn't much room behind the seats? Anyone got any ideas?

Old 07-28-2002, 09:13 PM
MustangGT221
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have one of those flashlights. My uncle gave it to me for my birthday. It's called the stinger and it's just like the maglights. It is 7 3/8 inches long, 10oz, and has 15,000 candlepower. They have all types. WWW.STREAMLIGHT.COM for more info. It has a two chargers, one for the truck and one for the house.

Primary rig is Green Thunder:
95' F-150 XLT 4x4, 302, 5 spd, MSD 6A, Flowmaster American Thunder Exhaust, Sunroof, Clear corners w/ Diamond headlights, CD player with 2 10" subs and some 32" BFG Muds .

Check out my Gallery for a look-see.

Then theres:
99' Mustang GT 4.6L
88' F-250 Superduty 4x4 351/c6
95' Mercury Cougar 4.6L V-8
80' E-350 300/6 with a
3 spd column shifter. Top speed is 65mph, Go Baby Go!

Old 07-28-2002, 09:16 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend

You can usually fit a narrow/long fire extinguisher under most seats, from the back if you have too. On a truck cab, right behind the seat in the corner works best, with split seats just push the right seat forward enough to clear the fire ext. On split bench seats you might be able to wedge something between both seats.

Old 08-07-2002, 03:12 PM
brokebronco
Posting Guru

Back in the early eighties I was stationed in Germany. To register a personally owned vehicle you had to have a first aid kit, warning triangle and fire extinguisher. Seems like a good idea so I slill keep the same items in my trucks. On a side note, my army wrecker had an electrical fire in the cab and luckily I kept one of the 10 pounders in the cab. (what a mess to clean up!)

BROKEBRONCO
84 Bronco 351HO/C-6/208/10.25 Rear/D44TTB Soon to have D60 Front/NP435
86 F250 351HO/C6/10.25 Soon to have a front axle and the ZF tranny

Old 08-07-2002, 04:13 PM
hitecdan
Elder User

1 in the truck (legacy of 302s with distributor, fuel line and carb with in a few inches of each other).

1 in the wife’s car, but what's the point. If here car caught on fire I doubt she would stick around and try to fight it.

Several in the garage, 1 in the kitchen, 1 in each bedroom, 2 on the boat.

Maybe I should mount one on my dirt bike and the family dog just to be consistent.

Old 08-07-2002, 04:43 PM
wolfmanagh
Posting Guru

I got one in my bus cause MinDOT says I have to. got a big one in the garage, and a few in the house. One problem going to the store and buying one is that they have been sitting their awhile. some so long that if you have to get a yearly inspection for business use some are already due for their pressure test which will cost you more money.

And a little tip from the guys that check them. unscrew thos hose and inspect the tube regularly. make sure its free from any debri. They had see a few were the manufacter missed some holes and didn't drill them.

Old 08-07-2002, 06:28 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts