1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Harbor Freight could be the worlds best tool store

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2019, 02:52 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Harbor Freight could be the worlds best tool store

cut your build cost way down , A few weeks ago I bought a 4 inch angle grinder at HF the young woman cashier tried to sell me the extended warranty , I asked what the regular warranty was , and she said every thing in the store has a 90 day warranty . So being a ball buster I asked about the flapper disks that I was buying , se responded , If I used them up before 90 days they would be replaced , I then asked about the cut off wheels , and again she said if they didn't last 90 days they would be replaced . Ok she was young and didn't know these where items that ware out . Last week I again was in HF and was cashed out by a long time employee , So as I was buying more flapper disks , I asked her about the replacement policy , She told me anything that is brought back for any reason , is replaced . That they are told not to ask questions just replace the items . Again I am not believing this . Today I am again in HF , and this time the manager checks me out , I said to her , two of your employees have told me that every thing in the store has at least a 90 day warranty , and if I ware out a flapper disk , grinding wheel , cut off wheel or even get a hole in a pair of gloves they will be replaced . She told me that is HF policy , So I asked if I brought in a empty spool of mig wire would they replace it , She explained that if there was any thing left of the original item it would be replace but if it was gone [ empty spool ] it would not . So I now have a bag of used up disks , gloves and wheels that have been bought in the last 90 days that are going back to be replaced , next time you are in HF ask , think of the $ you could save on your builds , I have to ask about DA paper

Old 12-22-2019, 02:54 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
sorry for the double post , how can I remove one ?

Old 12-22-2019, 09:08 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,953 Likes on 1,886 Posts
Interesting
I remember years ago when Pep Boys had a similar policy. A lifetime guarantee on parts. I went a lot of years never having to buy brake pads, etc before they "changed" the policy and excluded consumables.

Bobby

Old 12-22-2019, 09:17 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 521 Likes on 400 Posts
While you at go ahead and return your used oil where you bought it for a refund..... I believe moral equity would apply here.

They do directly exclude normal wear and tear.

https://www.harborfreight.com/custom...-exchange.html

Old 12-22-2019, 09:33 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Personally, I don't have the conscience to try that.

Old 12-23-2019, 07:58 AM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
I understand the moral aspect , that's why I went to the manager to check . It doesn't make any sense . I did not want to try and sneak some thing past a employee that didn't under stand the stores policy .

Old 12-24-2019, 05:12 AM
Sickler1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mixer man
Personally, I don't have the conscience to try that.
Iam in agreement with you...

Old 12-24-2019, 07:34 AM
Mr. Ed
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Craftsman tools have become the exact opposite. I took a broken 25' tape measure into one of the many stores now selling Craftsman tools and they have signage that says all warranty tools have to be accompanied by a receipt. WTF! Who keeps a receipt for all those years? Goodbye Craftsman.

Later!
Mr. Ed

Old 12-24-2019, 07:46 AM
Sickler1
More Turbo
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed
Craftsman tools have become the exact opposite. I took a broken 25' tape measure into one of the many stores now selling Craftsman tools and they have signage that says all warranty tools have to be accompanied by a receipt. WTF! Who keeps a receipt for all those years? Goodbye Craftsman.

Later!
Mr. Ed

While we are on topic,if your abandoning craftsman, harbor freight hand tools are great. I've had zero problems with them.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:35 AM
artscott61
Fleet Mechanic
Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts
I will buy some tools at harbor like the impact sockets etc. Northern tool just opened a store here and I don't think they are the store I thought they were from reading the flyers. All said I will probably buy some stuff from them. I do like having more of a choice and not having to go to Loews and Home Depot even Manards is not what I thought. For all the battery tools I go to a local store as they will match all prices and also have a repair shop in the back. Merry Christmas

Old 12-24-2019, 07:26 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
Glad for the harbor freight here and I hope they continue to do well. The disposable hvlp paint cups and the 5 and 7 mil gloves are a great deal. The fender / sheet metal stands, I have probably ten of them now. The die grinder we bought 6 years ago is still going strong!

Merry Christmas guys!

JB

Old 12-25-2019, 09:33 AM
AZAV8
More Turbo
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Ed

Later!
Mr. Ed
Obviously, you have not seen my folder with all of the receipts of the stuff I've bought for my truck project, which includes the consumables and little stuff like bolts and nuts from Ace Hardware. I've been working on my truck for many a year.

Philip

Old 12-25-2019, 11:00 AM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AZAV8
Obviously, you have not seen my folder with all of the receipts of the stuff I've bought for my truck project, which includes the consumables and little stuff like bolts and nuts from Ace Hardware. I've been working on my truck for many a year.

Philip
I think I have you beat. I use a ScanSnap document manager that will scan both sides of a page simultaneously and categorize by a key word in seconds. I have it set up for the mixer, dozer, skid steer, F-350, and laser grader. It also allows sub categories like electrical, fuel system, brakes, undercarriage, etc. Also stores files in searchable pdf. Maybe I just need to get a life.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:05 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,701 Likes on 1,497 Posts
My local HF has been advertising a $20 LED shop light periodically for quite a while. Whenever I go there the shelf is empty. I asked the manager if the ads for the $20 light is just a ploy to get people in the store. He said they get a lot in but they go fast. He said he's getting some in on Tuesday and they'll be on the shelf on Wednesday. So I went Wednesday with my coupon and I got one. And boy is it bright!

So they are good for stuff like that.

Old 12-25-2019, 02:49 PM
Steve Bennett
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts
My friend refers to Harbor Freight as "Victoria's Secret for men"!! Merry Christmas, Steve

Quick Reply: Harbor Freight could be the worlds best tool store