Trailer mounted camera with tire pressure monitoring system

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2019, 12:42 PM
elprofesor86
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trailer mounted camera with tire pressure monitoring system

I own a 2019 F350 DRW and a 40 ft. Montana 5th wheel. I want to add the trailer mounted camera with tire pressure monitoring system part # HC3Z19G490J. Specs say it's a 49' trailer harness and works with 35' RV's. I have a few questions:

1. Is there a way to add length to this so that it works with a 40' 4th wheel?
2. Has anyone here purchased this and did you have Ford install it or an RV shop?
3. If you bought this and you have an RV longer than 35', did you need to add wiring etc. to allow it to function?
4. Satisfaction level with the camera and tire monitoring system

Thank you

Old 11-09-2019, 02:12 PM
Kaadk
More Turbo
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
I have the kit on my 32' fifth wheel, so I can answer some, but not all of your questions:

1. Don't have it on mine, but Nichol's sells an extension, just for your kind of needs. https://nicholsmanufacturingandweldi...mera-extension
2. I had mine installed by my RV dealer though, to be fair, my RV dealer also owns a Ford shop next door. But it was the RV guys that did the job. On ours, the way it was routed they needed to add some trim pieces, that a Ford shop wouldn't have had on hand.
3. See response #1. Ours has excess coiled up, but we're 8' shorter than you, and I'm not sure how much excess we really have.
4. I love it. The TPMS saved me a bad blowout on the highway, where I was able to get to the shoulder before the tire completely shredded. And the camera has been absolutely invaluable with backing up solo. You still need to GOAL (Get Out And Look) periodically, but not anywhere near as often as you would without it, unless you maybe drive big-rigs for a living.

All that said, there are two caveats that come with this system:

1. The Camera only works under 5 mph or something silly like that. You can't use it running down the road unless you get an aftermarket add-on like the Nav-TV unit. A wireless Furrion doesn't have that issue, but the trade offs there are a separate display and possible choppy picture due to interference.
2. The TPMS is installed in the rim by replacing the valve stems, so you need someone to pop the tires off the rims to get it installed. A TST system in comparison screws onto the existing valve stems, so easier for a DIY install. Your trade off there is again a separate display. Range might be a concern, but I haven't heard much about them not reaching even with larger rigs, so not really sure on that.

And now the obligatory photos!

Trim piece added inside, bottom bunk.

Trim piece added inside, top bunk

Camera installed on the rear

Cable running from front storage cubby.

Cable at the kingpin.

Cable running to kingpin.

TPMS sensor unit installed in front storage cubby.

Trailer TPMS screen in the dash.

View from the rear camera.

I'm not exactly happy with the way the cabling was run to the kingpin. Ideally, I would have preferred they dropped the skin, and routed the cabling underneath, but my dealer took this shortcut instead. It works, and I hardly notice it anymore, but it's not as nice a job as it could have been.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:00 PM
elprofesor86
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you!

Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 7,149 Likes on 2,856 Posts
Kaadk, that's a sharp, professional looking install! I DIY'd mine and ran the wires up the front and then over the top of the camper. It looks DIY.