2021+ Bronco Discussion for the upcoming 2021 Ford Bronco!

Bronco World Premiere Spring 2020

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2019, 09:47 PM
Stampede.Offroad
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ovenrat
well.....believe what you will
The only thing ChrispyKC implied was that an IFS with a disconnecting swaybar would be able to rival the solid axles of the Wrangler.

Originally Posted by ChrispyKC
Originally Posted by NMBronco
So you're saying there's a chance?

I thought it was odd that the press release specifically referred to the 5 link rear suspension being production configuration but not the front. That IFS (specifically the cradle and lower arm pivot spacing) definitely looks like a production piece though…

If the IFS is indicative of what we will be getting from the actual production vehicle, the Bronco is just another "also ran" Jeep competitor in my book.

You'd be surprised at what's possible with modern IFS when other options are tossed in with it.

There's also a guy who works with the engineering team that does the steering equipment for Ford, and only one pitman RCB gear has been worked up and that's for the superduty. Maybe you'd interpret that as the Bronco getting superduty steering equipment, but the vehicles aren't the same size or shape, and no one is saying SFA Broncos have been seen.

Old 11-09-2019, 06:56 AM
ovenrat
Cross-Country
we'll see ….. Ford seems serious about challenging the Wrangler Rubicon, can you say 2 door "rock monster" ?

Old 11-09-2019, 09:46 AM
2dwoods
More Turbo
Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Everything I've heard in past was a sfa to rival any wrangler and if I'm reading right the IFS was special build for r bronco at baja.

Old 11-09-2019, 10:15 AM
fordguy2100
Cargo Master
Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts
I'm not super hip into SFA vs IFS but if the bronco has an IFS to run in the Baja 1000.... why do people think an IFS wouldn't hold up to the avg Joe Schmo? Also don't throw "it sucks for rock crawling" at me cz most of the time those are purpose built vehicles and not off the lot production vehicles. (Also read that again I said MOST not all)

So truly can someone answer why you hate IFS So much if it was put on an off-roading racing machine meant to win? Is it the extra maintenance? More parts to fail? Literally just to compare to jeep? What?

Edit* also I'm not trying to troll anyone or start a fight, I genuinely want to know why those people who hate the IFS hate it so much?
I have an 03 with an IFS And a 74 with a SFA

Old 11-09-2019, 10:37 AM
ovenrat
Cross-Country
interesting comparison in this video …..and I'll be the first to admit that without the rock crawlers we wouldn't be so far advanced with axles and front suspensions BUT most of us aren't gonna be crawling rocks every day.....

I'll go with the more shoulder room and wider vehicle, thank you very much

Old 11-09-2019, 12:02 PM
Stampede.Offroad
Senior User
Originally Posted by fordguy2100
...So truly can someone answer why [disfavor] IFS So much if it was put on an off-roading racing machine meant to win?...
At the top of the list would probably be added width necessary to achieve the same amount of articulation, and higher cost to achieve basic upgrades like a lift or sufficiently robust components capable of handling larger tires properly.

Looking at where the vehicle is capable of going without extensive and expensive modification, for a mass production viable product, SFA will get more done and for less money. If you happen to be someone who wants to modify or increase the 'range' of your vehicle, it will be mechanically simpler and less expensive to do with SFA with a far larger set of options available to do so with.

I come from a background in small displacement off roading, dirtbikes and ATVs. Having gotten older and less agile I've moved into side by sides, and now looking at automotive based rigs, it becomes rapidly clear that bigger vehicles are far more restricted in where you can get to. Having the Bronco be "Raptorized" with an ~86" wide track like the Ranger or F150 is going to cause a lot of trouble and restriction that a "Tremorized" SFA Bronco around the same 74" as the Ranger/Wrangler would not have. Looking at the probable real world usage of either approach tells me that even the people who think they want Raptorization will not actually drive fast enough off road to actually need or utilize that capability, and a substantially larger percentage would actually benefit from Tremorization, even though both are probably less than 5%.

Could Ford build some kind of unicorn IFS and put it in the Bronco? Sure. But the odds of that happening and being commercially viable are very low.

...I'm not super hip into SFA vs IFS but if the bronco has an IFS to run in the Baja 1000.... why do people think an IFS wouldn't hold up to the avg Joe Schmo?
I think Joe Schmo doesn't need half of whats in a small car. I've driven on roads and through snow and forded water with a small 2wd sedan that people in big 4x4s turned away from.

A tricked out quarter million dollar race rig is nice and all, but what will give Bronco lasting social cache is what regular people can do with the vehicle. If getting your hunting rig to the level of capability you need to feel comfortable getting to/from location is going to cost twice as much, or you break parts twice as often, or you spend a lot of time making 4 point turns while your buddies wait around for you, that is going to have a big impact.

Old 11-09-2019, 03:03 PM
ovenrat
Cross-Country
what percent of new Bronco owners are gonna be challenging serious/professional 4 X 4 trails/ courses ?

maybe 10 % ?

not me

Old 11-09-2019, 07:52 PM
2dwoods
More Turbo
Str axle is cheaper to build and just more durable , simply tried and true

Old 11-09-2019, 08:17 PM
Stampede.Offroad
Senior User
Arrow

Originally Posted by ovenrat
what percent of new Bronco owners are gonna be challenging serious/professional 4 X 4 trails/ courses ?

maybe 10 % ?

not me
Most people buying a Wrangler aren't going to go drive the Rubicon themselves either, but knowing that the vehicle is capable of that in the right hands is a big part of what drives sales.

I'd bet 90% of the people buying a Wrangler would be better served by a crossover or minivan with AWD, but that's not the image they want to project to them self or others. Automotive purchases have a long history of being more about conspicuous consumption than about need.

If Ford knows they can't actually beat the Wrangler off road in categories the competition is good at, they will purposely make up new categories to say they're the best in -- just like some kind of JD Power Deepest Cup Holders 2020 award.

The question is, will consumers buy the story and image Ford is selling?

Old 11-10-2019, 04:56 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,231 Likes on 808 Posts
Most of us in here are drooling because of our love affair with the old Bronco.

I don't consider the Jeep to be a good value in any sense and I sure hope that my ultra conservative nature doesn't jade my opinions of the Bronco because it for sure isn't going to be a great value either. Fun, capable, beautiful and ridiculously expensive are the words that I'd use to describe both.

Old 11-11-2019, 11:48 PM
MotorCityBolt
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wrangler capability Wowed folks vs. capability Used folks is about a wide a gap as you can make. It may sell a lot of Jeeps, but it doesn't fool me. So, the IFS is what I'd prefer, hands down. Better control, better ride, better choice for the average person. I won't argue with anyone on 2nd kind of cool. It's however you're moved.

I'm waiting for the Ranger chassis based BRONCO. But, I'll say this after having a 2017 Escape for two years, I'll bet that will also be a Very cool customer for what it is. I loved that Escape and lifted more off road capable version in a squared out shape is gonna' make a Lot of money for FORD...

Old 11-20-2019, 01:46 PM
johnday
Cargo Master
Received 253 Likes on 111 Posts
May be olde news to some, but got some more info today on the Bronco.
Will have removable roof from just behind drivers seat back.
Standard engine is the 2.3L 4, optional is the 2.7 Eco.
Front suspension is IFS.
Removable doors, with side impact maintained with tube structures.
Baby Bronco available for sale in October.
Full size available in late December/early January.

Old 11-20-2019, 09:48 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by johnday
Front suspension is IFS.
is there a news release you can send us to see this? Pretty effin unhappy with the stupid ifs and weak sauce rack and pinion steering. My stupid titan can barely handle 34” 65lb tires. I’ll probably still buckle and get one with the 2.7 though and absolutely love it.

Old 11-21-2019, 05:10 AM
2dwoods
More Turbo
Yep weak ifs will never do I thought they where going to compete with jeep
with ifs never happen without big dollars to many angles never compete with jeep on that front

Old 11-21-2019, 06:10 AM
Stampede.Offroad
Senior User
Question

Originally Posted by johnday
Front suspension is IFS.
I'm also curious what kind of source this is from. The nature of the removability of the roof is largely a mystery. No one has publicly described how much of the roof is removable or how it is removed yet.

Quick Reply: Bronco World Premiere Spring 2020