F250 Newbie Towing Question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2019, 06:40 PM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nikerret
Sounds pretty normal. Basic physics, put weight in the back, the front will become lighter. I fully agree with going to the scales and see how much it’s taking off.
Absolutely wrong with a fifth wheel. If the hitch is directly over the rear axle there will be zero change in weight on the front axle. It the hitch is set an inch or two forward of the rear axle, as most are, there will be a very modest increase in weight on the front axle.

Even a bumper pull trailer with a proper weight-distributing hitch shouldn't unload the front end.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:11 PM
nikerret
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mptjelgin
Absolutely wrong with a fifth wheel. If the hitch is directly over the rear axle there will be zero change in weight on the front axle. It the hitch is set an inch or two forward of the rear axle, as most are, there will be a very modest increase in weight on the front axle.

Even a bumper pull trailer with a proper weight-distributing hitch shouldn't unload the front end.
You’re assuming the hitch is installed over the axle or slightly in front, which is where it’s supposed to be. That doesn’t mean the OP’s is installed there. Guess that might be the first thing he should check....

You are correct, on a properly installed fifth/goose. Even if he is loaded evenly, is it possible his perception is the front is lighter because of the ride change compared to how much is on the rear axle? In other words, could adding two hundred pounds to the front axle and 1500 to the rear axle still create the feeling of a lighter steer axle?

Old 10-28-2019, 07:21 PM
Manana
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes, I am running a B+W turnover ball hitch on the frame with an Anderson Ultimate hitch. I checked and the pin weight is right on the rear axle.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:28 PM
Manana
New User
It sounds like the consensus is that I am not in an inherently unsafe situation given the weight is adequately carried by the rear axle, I am well under specs, and that a lot of people experience a slightly different "feel" when towing a fifth-wheel than when driving the truck without something in tow. I didn't feel particularly unsafe and it may be I just am adjusting to the lighter front end of a 4x2 when I had been used to driving a 4x4 even though my F250 RWD is much heavier than my previous F150 4x4 towing the same fifth wheel.

Old 10-28-2019, 07:31 PM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by nikerret
Even if he is loaded evenly, is it possible his perception is the front is lighter because of the ride change compared to how much is on the rear axle? In other words, could adding two hundred pounds to the front axle and 1500 to the rear axle still create the feeling of a lighter steer axle?
I'm not saying the the weight distribution, vehicle dynamics and "feel" of the vehicle don't change with the trailer hooked up, but I am trying to dispel the common myth that a properly located fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitch unloads the front end.

Old 10-28-2019, 08:02 PM
nikerret
Senior User
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mptjelgin
I'm not saying the the weight distribution, vehicle dynamics and "feel" of the vehicle don't change with the trailer hooked up, but I am trying to dispel the common myth that a properly located fifth-wheel or gooseneck hitch unloads the front end.
You are correct, my post needed clarifying. Good call out.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:30 PM
CathedralCub
Lead Driver
Received 782 Likes on 713 Posts
I'm a little late to the party, however, there is a piece of this puzzle that hasn't been addressed yet: Pitch angle.

Take about any car or truck and rake the back end up a couple of inches above normal and the steering will become a little more darty. Take the same car or truck and lower the rear end a couple of inches below normal and the steering becomes a little more numb. In Manana's case, the rear is about 2" lower just by hitching the trailer up, so the steering feel will become a bit numb.

For extra fun, frontal area on the trailer will affect things slightly as well. The more air being pushed by the trailer will act to very slightly unload the front suspension of the truck a little bit as the bottom of the rear tires attempt to pull out from under the hitch that is a couple of feet above. Same goes for climbing grades and accelerating. Braking has the opposite effect.

Either way, for Manana's case, I don't see a problem. This is to be expected.

Old 10-31-2019, 12:50 PM
Manana
New User
Thanks for the reassuring expertise!