Whats the practical difference

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2019, 12:00 PM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 977 Likes on 348 Posts
[QUOTE=mptjelgin;18848300]
Originally Posted by djousma
Tow/Haul doesn't just use transmission to slow you down, it also changes the shift points and Torque Converter behavior (locks up quicker). /QUOTE]

I think that changing shift points and locking up the converter still qualifies as using the transmission to slow you down. My point is that the EB makes the engine a much more effective brake as well, working in conjunction with the tow/haul mode and the transmission.
Oh, I totally agree with that. My point was that T/H mode is a lot more than just a braking mechanism.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:23 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I believe we're all in sync on what/ how T/H assists (tranny logic magic); I'm still unclear on HOW the engine brake works.

I was once told EB is not an exhaust brake - so what magic is it performing?

My using both of them together was very effective in keeping my speed down so I could enter these blind twistys without burning up my brakes.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:34 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
I decided to ask google this question, almost immediately I found this:

What is the Engine-Exhaust Brake?

The Engine-Exhaust Brake has become an integral part of the Super Duty’s turbocharger. When activated by flipping a switch located at the top left of the centre stack, the engine brake will automatically adjust the vanes on the exhaust side of the turbocharger in order to generate engine pressure.

and this:

DIESEL ENGINE-EXHAUST BRAKING

The 6.7L Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel incorporates a driver-activated engine-exhaust brake. It restricts the turbocharger’s exhaust flow to generate back pressure and slow the vehicle, providing greater control while traveling downhill, regardless of vehicle load or road grade.

I note both sources label it as an engine - exhaust brake.

Old 09-13-2019, 03:58 PM
Army RET
Posting Guru
Looking at some maps I can add a better location for you rowdy bikers to play on.

It is within the Chattahoochee National Forest (Georgia), state highway 19, several miles south of Lake Trahlyta, GA.

Old 09-13-2019, 08:02 PM
mptjelgin
Tuned
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
These terms get mixed and matched quite a bit. In gasoline engines when we talk about engine braking we are talking about the natural ability of an engine to provide a significant amount of resistance because of the throttle valve (butterfly) and the vacuum created. No extra device or technology is required as gasoline engines provide quite a lot of "natural" engine braking.

Diesel engines normally employ some extra device or technology to provide significant engine braking, and it is often described as an exhaust brake. The big rigs use a Compression Release Engine Brake, aka Jake Brake which modifies the exhaust valve sequence to provide braking, and makes a heck of a lot of noise in the process. So when you see a sign that says "No exhaust brakes allowed" that is what they are talking about.

Lighter duty trucks like ours use a device that simply restricts the exhaust. In early trucks it was a butterfly mounted in the exhaust, activated by some time of switch to restrict flow. Our current Fords utilize the variable geometry exhaust vanes in the turbocharger to accomplish the same thing. All of these things are a sort of engine brake, and more specifically in diesel trucks, exhaust brakes. But they aren't Jake Brakes and we don't have to turn them off when we see one of those signs!!

Old 09-14-2019, 07:39 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,141 Likes on 1,037 Posts
Another thing I haven't seen mentioned when using either of the above brakes AND select the speed control to whatever speed you wish to maintain, the tow/haul and speed control WILL do a great job to maintaining that speed - to within (I believe) 5 MPH . Also great to use in mountainous areas .

Old 09-16-2019, 10:14 AM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,965 Likes on 2,816 Posts
As near as I can tell, tow/haul alone won't use the turbo to help slow you down. But, you do get engine braking due to compression.

The tow/haul will hold the shift points (higher RPM before the shift) as you accelerate through the first three gears. After that, it doesn't hold the RPM in the upper three gears.