Trailer tires Goodyear G614 or Endurance?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2019, 08:41 PM
Andy_george
Tuned
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
The Marathons are horrible tires. I’ve used 3 sets of the Endurance and love them. I’d definitely go that route.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:14 AM
rvpuller
Received 434 Likes on 284 Posts
Originally Posted by MontanaHauler
Yes, they say that they are re-grooveable and re-capable, but I can't find anyone who will do this. Mine are down to the secondary rubber, which is a lighter color, on the inside 1/3 of the tread area on all 4 tires. My RV service shop owner says that this could be caused by overloading the trailer as the axels have a bow to them and if you overload, they will flatten out too much and wear the inside tread. I only have about 15K miles on them but 10K of that was round trip to Alaska. The axels are rated 6K each and there is 12K (actually weighed) on them, so they are at the max rating.

I will also check out the link to the towing area.
You don't have a tire problem but a axle over weight problem. You had wearing on the inside of the tread on all for because the axles are bending under the load so no tire will wear properly. If you have 12K on two 6K axles when the trailer is sitting still the dynamic load going down the road will overload them. I'm sure the are already bent and need to be aligned but if you always have that kind of load you should be looking for heavier axles, Are you wheels rated for 110 psi that the G tires use? And are they 6 or 8 bolt? I'm not of fan of GY 614 tires but in this case I don't think they are the problem.

Denny

Old 08-30-2019, 10:57 AM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by rvpuller
You don't have a tire problem but a axle over weight problem. You had wearing on the inside of the tread on all for because the axles are bending under the load so no tire will wear properly. If you have 12K on two 6K axles when the trailer is sitting still the dynamic load going down the road will overload them. I'm sure the are already bent and need to be aligned but if you always have that kind of load you should be looking for heavier axles, Are you wheels rated for 110 psi that the G tires use? And are they 6 or 8 bolt? I'm not of fan of GY 614 tires but in this case I don't think they are the problem.

Denny
I agree. However, as I plan to trade in the trailer on a new one next spring, I don't want to put a lot of money into the old one. It needs new tires and I want them to last at least 5K miles as we will be towing it to Indiana to pick up the new one. I will have my service guy look at the axels though and see what he thinks. I have a great service guy who has done a lot of work on the trailer over the years and has treated me well. He did replace the springs (upgraded them also) and equalizers a couple of years ago as I was having problems with tire wear due to axel alignment at that time. That was a different wear pattern on particular tires on one side. I didn't see the inside wear pattern on the older tires as they were Marathons and probably blew out before I could see this type of wear or this is a new problem.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:17 AM
JD'sBigredv10
More Turbo
Received 133 Likes on 63 Posts
I agree. However, as I plan to trade in the trailer on a new one next spring, I don't want to put a lot of money into the old one. It needs new tires and I want them to last at least 5K miles as we will be towing it to Indiana to pick up the new one. I will have my service guy look at the axels though and see what he thinks. I have a great service guy who has done a lot of work on the trailer over the years and has treated me well. He did replace the springs (upgraded them also) and equalizers a couple of years ago as I was having problems with tire wear due to axel alignment at that time. That was a different wear pattern on particular tires on one side. I didn't see the inside wear pattern on the older tires as they were Marathons and probably blew out before I could see this type of wear or this is a new problem.
You can diagnose bent axles yourself. They are manufactured with a positive camber (look like a slight frown) and when loaded will maintain that camber or flatten out. When (over) loaded, the axles on my previous trailer were actually bent in the opposite direction and stayed that way when unloaded. On one long trip I completely wore out the inside edges of all four tires. I took the trailer to a suspension shop and they re-bent the axles to the correct camber. Replaced the tires and sold the trailer shortly thereafter.

Old 08-30-2019, 11:46 AM
rvpuller
Received 434 Likes on 284 Posts
Instead of spending big bucks on GYs look at Saliuns they are cheaper and have a good following. I even bought two 17.5 load range H for my trailer after one of my $435 GY G114 H tires failed.

Denny

Old 08-30-2019, 12:47 PM
Andy_george
Tuned
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts
Bent axles without a doubt make the tires wear horribly. But some tires are just different.... one tire may cup, scallop, wear the inside or outside, and just plain blow up. The next tire on the same axle in the same position may wear beautifully. I’ve seen it on numerous pickup-sized trailers and my Dads semi trailer time and time again.

Old 08-30-2019, 12:48 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by JD'sBigredv10
You can diagnose bent axles yourself. They are manufactured with a positive camber (look like a slight frown) and when loaded will maintain that camber or flatten out. When (over) loaded, the axles on my previous trailer were actually bent in the opposite direction and stayed that way when unloaded. On one long trip I completely wore out the inside edges of all four tires. I took the trailer to a suspension shop and they re-bent the axles to the correct camber. Replaced the tires and sold the trailer shortly thereafter.
The trailer is in storage at the service location. I called them and they are going to look at the axels and report back to me. They are also going to verify that they are really 6K axels. The trailer is rated 15.5K GVW, you would think that the manufacturer would put 7K axels on a trailer that size, but I believe that they are 6K. I will report back what they find out.

Old 08-30-2019, 04:40 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,426 Likes on 1,019 Posts
I agree with all the above recommendations. I run Goodyear endurance my self. No complaints

Old 08-30-2019, 09:55 PM
Coghlin
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also have a 35' Montana RV. It is a much heavier trailer than the manufacturer says. It comes with heavy rims so you can run the 614s. When we bought the trailer it came with new marathons on it. After 2 trips the belts shifted and the tires were bulged. I switched to the 614s after much research and they have been amazing. Never had a flat and they never heat up or complain. I have also found the trailer doesn't move around as much towing. If you are overloading your 614s I don't think it will be wise to go to the lighter endurance tires. I dislike Goodyear tires and I would never say anything good about them on any equipment but the 614s have been flawless. I also recently switched to a 450 and it sure makes towing a breeze. I can now relax more and even let my wife drive.

Old 08-30-2019, 09:59 PM
Coghlin
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Check your rims that they are rated for the 14ply tires but mine were. It is stamped on the inside I think I remember. I also think Hercules just brought out a 14 ply tire to compete with the 614s and they are much cheaper.

Old 08-31-2019, 12:28 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Originally Posted by Coghlin
I also have a 35' Montana RV. It is a much heavier trailer than the manufacturer says. It comes with heavy rims so you can run the 614s. When we bought the trailer it came with new marathons on it. After 2 trips the belts shifted and the tires were bulged. I switched to the 614s after much research and they have been amazing. Never had a flat and they never heat up or complain. I have also found the trailer doesn't move around as much towing. If you are overloading your 614s I don't think it will be wise to go to the lighter endurance tires. I dislike Goodyear tires and I would never say anything good about them on any equipment but the 614s have been flawless. I also recently switched to a 450 and it sure makes towing a breeze. I can now relax more and even let my wife drive.
Originally Posted by Coghlin
Check your rims that they are rated for the 14ply tires but mine were. It is stamped on the inside I think I remember. I also think Hercules just brought out a 14 ply tire to compete with the 614s and they are much cheaper.
The specs for my 2010 Montana 3665RE say that the trailer shipping weight is 12,100 and the carrying capacity is 3730 which equals 15,830, the GVW on the outside says 15,500. I have weighed the truck (2008 F-250) and trailer together when fully loaded and a full tank of fuel (51 gal), the weight on the truck axels was 12,000 and the weight on the trailer axels was also 12,000. I was surprised at the weight on the truck as the hitch weight of the trailer is spec'd at 2045. The combined weight exceeds the GCVW of my F-250. The 235/80R16 GY Marathons that came on the trailer were just barely rated for 3,000 each (I can't find the specs though). The G614s are rated 3750 at 110 psi and I have been running them at 100 psi where the rating is 3550 or 14,200 for all four, so that should be good. Note that some tire dealers with not inflate to over 100 psi for some reason.

The rims that came on the trailer are 6.5" width and rated for 110 psi. The GY Commercial dealer that installed them verified that the rims were compatible.

I think that my problem is either overloaded or bent axels on the trailer which caused the inside 1/3 of the tread area to wear down to the secondary rubber, the outer 1/3 still has tread.

I am looking forward to getting my 2020 F-450 Limited if I can ever get an order in!

Old 08-31-2019, 10:33 PM
z31freakify
Hotshot
Received 1,191 Likes on 817 Posts
This is what we use in our14k dump trailers and practicly every trailer that has 16" wheels and have held up to the abuse and wear like iron and aome of our deivers are speed demons.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-NEW-235-8...cAAOSwcGtcknS9

Old 09-03-2019, 07:22 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
The specs for my 2010 Montana 3665RE say that the trailer shipping weight is 12,100 and the carrying capacity is 3730 which equals 15,830, the GVW on the outside says 15,500. I have weighed the truck (2008 F-250) and trailer together when fully loaded and a full tank of fuel (51 gal), the weight on the truck axels was 12,000 and the weight on the trailer axels was also 12,000. I was surprised at the weight on the truck as the hitch weight of the trailer is spec'd at 2045. The combined weight exceeds the GCVW of my F-250. The 235/80R16 GY Marathons that came on the trailer were just barely rated for 3,000 each (I can't find the specs though). The G614s are rated 3750 at 110 psi and I have been running them at 100 psi where the rating is 3550 or 14,200 for all four, so that should be good. Note that some tire dealers with not inflate to over 100 psi for some reason.

The rims that came on the trailer are 6.5" width and rated for 110 psi. The GY Commercial dealer that installed them verified that the rims were compatible.

I think that my problem is either overloaded or bent axels on the trailer which caused the inside 1/3 of the tread area to wear down to the secondary rubber, the outer 1/3 still has tread.

I am looking forward to getting my 2020 F-450 Limited if I can ever get an order in!
I heard back from my RV repair guy today. I was wrong, my trailer has 7K axels and they are fine. However, there are failed bearings which could account for the tire wear.

I went and weighted the truck today, it was free at a local quarry, just to drive on the scale and read the display. It came in at 9420. This is a 2008 F-250 with a 51 gal fuel tank, with probably about 48 gal in it, a 5th wheel hitch and a camper shell (which comes off for towing), after market front bumper with grill guard, after market rear bumper and driver only. So my hitch pin is probably around 2800 lbs.

Old 09-03-2019, 07:42 PM
schrod
Tuned
Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts
delete delete

Last edited by schrod; 09-03-2019 at 07:44 PM. Reason: delete
Old 09-04-2019, 01:12 PM
MontanaHauler
Tuned
Angry

I heard back from my RV repair guy today. I was wrong, my trailer has 7K axels and they are fine. However, there are failed bearings which could account for the tire wear.

I went and weighted the truck today, it was free at a local quarry, just to drive on the scale and read the display. It came in at 9420. This is a 2008 F-250 with a 51 gal fuel tank, with probably about 48 gal in it, a 5th wheel hitch and a camper shell (which comes off for towing), after market front bumper with grill guard, after market rear bumper and driver only. So my hitch pin is probably around 2800 lbs.
Originally Posted by schrod
delete delete
Yes, the truck needs to go on a diet. However I plan to replace it with a 2020 F-450. In response, the "check engine" light came on yesterday.

Quick Reply: Trailer tires Goodyear G614 or Endurance?