General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Station wagons!

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:37 PM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
Station wagons!

Any station wagon fans here?

I like station wagons, they are the most practical vehicle you can get. My favorite is Buick Roadmonster, although in its infinite wisdom,GM dropped it to build more trucks/SUVs. I own the people's version of this luxury wagon, which is the Caprice.

There are other station wagons, too, Subaru has a lot, we have a little Loyale in the family and it's even more practical than caprice -- 29MPG, yet more space than a full size sedan.

Honda, Toyota all had wagon versions but dropped them for some reason.

I even thought about getting a "real" station wagon, meaning something from the 70's, with a carburator. I looked and test-drove at a few cars on the stationwagon.com web site, 1978 Dodge something, with a big 400cid engine. That thing was huge. In the end, I didn't want something that old. I wasn't impressed with quality of late 70's vehicles. Gas consumption is abysmal of course, really no better than current trucks. Probably luckly to get 13 mpg in a full size 70's wagon.

The Caprice when I got it, used to get 22 mpg, but a bit less now. But, more than trucks. See the reason I like station wagons is because they handle like cars with car mileage but carry almost as much as trucks. 92 cubic feet of space.

Too bad Ford doesn't make a wagon version of their Crown Victoria, now that would be a kick a$$ package.

Own a station wagon and you will never want a car again.

www.stationwagon.com

Last edited by carpe_diem; 10-06-2003 at 09:41 PM.
Old 10-06-2003, 09:48 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i don't think i could ever own a wagon. i personaly don't like how they look, and can't really see the usefulness of the added upper area space. i will keep my truck for truck stuff, and get a car for car stuff. this is also why i hate the "cross over" suvs and stuff. i buy something and use it for that purpose. when blended you get to many downfalls and not enough advantages. thats just me though. any many people say i am the weird one so don't listen to me!

Old 10-06-2003, 10:11 PM
Seifferlein
Senior User
My two favorite vehicles- old trucks and station wagons . My absolute favorite station wagon is an 86 Mercury Colony Park (one of the big boats). It has all of the goodies offered in 1986, even wood paneling, chrome spoke hubcaps, metallic brown paint, and a 5.0 liter. That was our family car that I grew up with and I am very very attached to it. Sadly, my brother started to drive when we got a new van and he wrecked the rear quarter panel. Then it started to have some major mechanical problems and was generally a tired old car, but it still looked awesome minus the quarter panel. So, we gave it to our mechanic for some money about three years ago. Then, about a month ago, my dad was talking to the mechanic, and he mentioned that there was a guy interested in using the car in the demolition derby. This upset me, so I bought it back for $150 and will hopefully go pick it up sometime this week. Someday when I get my trucks done it will have a 348 stroker in it.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:13 PM
46fordtruck
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts
Wagons are cool, but the prices of the older ones (mid '70's and older) are going up. I had a '72 Olds Vista Cruiser wagon. Very very nice car...350 4 barrel, TH400 tranny, full power, air, everything. It was big, but man, the ride was great. Yeah, mileage isn't the best...but the older wagons can really be made jup nice, especailly since most are based on the intermediate (GM A-body, Ford Fairlane) cars that also became performance versions. But for solid, sorry to say, the GM's in the late '60's, early '70's are hard to beat...rock solid, and most run forever. But I sold the Cruiser to finance other projects. If I were to buy another wagon, it would either be an old Woddy wagon, or a '50's Ford.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:19 PM
78f250lj
Senior User
My dad bought a 1972 Buick wagon when my sister was born in 1986. The block was cracked and he got another 455 from the scarpyard for $50 and just put it in there! It ran for over 100,000 miles and was still going strong till we sold it in April of 2002. It was green and mean. Clamshells forever!!!!

Lenny

Old 10-06-2003, 10:22 PM
88grandmarquis
Laughing Gas
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm a Grand Marquis freak, so given the chance for a Grand Marquis wagon, I'd take (if I could afford it, of course).

Old 10-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Mike W
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was growing up I told myself that I would never own a stationwagon. I still feel that way.

Talk about acres of glass and sheetmetal to wash!

I did have a 73 Ranchero. That was really a wagon with the unnecessary stuff left off.

Old 10-06-2003, 10:45 PM
Andysutt
Postmaster
I loved my 83 Ford Country Squire blah blah Wagon
It had like 3 different logos on it
Big huge 4 door wagon..
Loved it, had a 351 in it, it would haul.
many a times i camped out of it and it would haul a ton of stuff/people.
I got rit of it due to motor needing rubuilt, but I regret it cuz it was a fun car to drive and something to beat around in.
I wouldnt want one as a daily driver tho

Old 10-06-2003, 11:00 PM
chado
Posting Guru
Why I think wagons are cool:

*note: Not my car, I don't know the owner of the car...I just love car's doing wheelies and I found it when browsing the net.

Owner: Mike Tomaszewski
Home Town: Scottsdale, AZ
Car: 1968 Buick Special Deluxe Wagon
Weight: 3500 lbs
Best Time: 9.09
Best Speed: 149 MPH
Engine: Buick 455, bored and stroked to 532 cid
HP: 900+
Torque: 800+
Power Parts: Stage 5 Heads, Sheetmetal Intake, (2) 1050 CFM Dominators, Block Girdle w/halo, Lifter Bore Girdle, Special Solid Roller Cam, Custom Made Headers, Dry Sump Oiling System, Fabricated Oil Pan.
Transmission: Lenco
Rear End: 4 link Dana 60 with 4.56:1 gears
Chasis: full

Mike has employed just about every trick possible to the new 532 CID Stroker, HP and Torque ratings are Normally Aspirated, NO Nitrous, Blowers, or Turbos!! Many parts have been developed from this project.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:07 PM
41Clay
Elder User
I think station wagons are cool. Seen pictures of old stingrays turned into station wagons and got me to wondering about my 280zx.

Old 10-06-2003, 11:25 PM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
1988 Country Squire

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/...ry_Squire.html

Ford Pinto (never mind exploding gas tank propaganda)

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/...ord_Pinto.html

I test drove one of these. I like full size, but even I found it too big (I don't have a family)

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/...y_Marquis.html

Chrysler was of course the quentessential station wagon. 440 engine, abysmal mileage, good towing, the perfect 1970's wagon. It is so weird, it is cool. A nostalgic trip. Get one *if* you can find one in good shape. 10 years ago - yes. Now? Doubtful.

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/...wnCountry.html

And my favorite. It is a full size vehicle but considerably smaller than old wagons. Full size 4x8' will not fit in it, unless the tail gate is open. Still, try that with a sedan.

http://www.stationwagon.com/gallery/...y_Caprice.html

Old 10-07-2003, 12:17 AM
Mike W
Post Fiend
4x8 would fit if you cut it up into 1x1's.

Old 10-07-2003, 07:06 AM
AOGDEN
Senior User
I've had 2 of them. A '73 Torino w/ 351C/C6 & a '74 Torino w/ 400/C6. Both were great cars that took a hell of a whooping before they died. I would love to find a '73 like above in good shape. I would use it for my daily driver, and I'm sure Boo - the wonder dog would love the extra space.

Old 10-07-2003, 07:17 AM
chperry
Senior User
My wife drives a 1998 Subaru Legacy wagon. We really like it. It has plenty of room, gets good mileage, has AWD, and is just plain reliable (unlike the Taurus we traded in on it). She now has her eye on a Volvo wagon. Of course that may have changed, she just saw a Saab wagon in the local mall and fell in love immediately. You pretty much have to buy foreign to get a good, dependable wagon these days.

Lucky for me she hates minivans (as do I). She also doesn't see the need for a big SUV (saves me money). Of course the Subaru wasn't exactly cheap, but it is cheap to run. The wagon works great for us with two young boys (think soccer, scouts, karate, etc).

Old 10-07-2003, 09:46 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Originally posted by 78f250lj
My dad bought a 1972 Buick wagon when my sister was born in 1986. The block was cracked and he got another 455 from the scarpyard for $50 and just put it in there! It ran for over 100,000 miles and was still going strong till we sold it in April of 2002. It was green and mean. Clamshells forever!!!!

Lenny
Oh, yeah, the clamshel tailgate- coolest gizmo to ever come out of Detroit. I'd LOVE to have one of those, especially the Buick Estate Wagon with all the power goodies. Speaking of Colony Parks, one of my customers has a '98 model. But they stopped making them in '91, you say? No matter- this guy BUILT HIS OWN. Took the rear greenhouse of a Sable wagon and grafted it onto his wife's '98 trunk area. Even came up with woodgrain on the sides. Truly one of a kind. Big wagons: you just don't get any more American than that!

Quick Reply: Station wagons!