Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cutting a hole for fuel pump access!! -->Measurements<--

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2019, 06:57 PM
cbarm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cutting a hole for fuel pump access!! -->Measurements<--

So Ive scoured google for measurements on where to cut the box floor to replace the rear pump on my '92 F150 and nothing...

SO HERE IT IS ---------->>> From the back of the box, measure 26" and cut to 32". From the left side to the 7th full length raised rib, cut half way across the rib, and 6" to the right. Voila, you have a 6" x 6" hole with nice easy access!!!

I just cut mine on one side and cut half way through on the other (scored it with the zip disk) so the flap would bend up easily and then I can tack weld it down after...cover it with the sheet of plywood thats been in there for years n nobody knows a thing. Dont forget to give the cut area a shot of tremclad so it wont start rusting out there!!

Take the tailgate off...its 10x easier for this job...

Old 08-07-2019, 09:41 PM
Robert Long
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have done this,but sorry I didn't take measurements. What I did was take measurements from under the truck using the bed mounting bolt as a reference.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-08-2019, 09:29 AM
Bronco638
Tuned
Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts
Is cutting a hole in the bed floor an alternative to dropping the tank?

Old 08-08-2019, 06:16 PM
Robert Long
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 11-01-2023, 08:45 AM
jhrsmail
5th Wheeling
Well, thanks cbarn in 2023! Can't believe this was so hard to find.. I'll update my thread starter on various sites with this answer!

Old 11-01-2023, 10:07 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,372 Likes on 1,083 Posts
or you could not be a hack and actually do the job correctly.

The following 8 users liked this post by My4Fordtrucks:
Hit Man X, Mikulh, Prototypemech, Scndsin, Spudtato, tjc transport, toolman60, WalterMelons and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 11-01-2023, 03:01 PM
jhrsmail
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
Here's one for your bronco if you need a buy a patch panel ----> https://desolatemotorsports.com/shop...p-accesscover/

Old 11-02-2023, 06:23 AM
manicmechanic007
Lead Driver
Received 1,057 Likes on 960 Posts
I never even completely drop the tank
Just remove the driveline at the rear end yoke and wire it up and out of the way
Then just remove the front tank strap and loosen the rear strap
The tank will drop down enough to replace the pump and sender
Takes about 40 minutes tops
Beat the hell out of flat rate and make 20 hours a day some days

The following 2 users liked this post by manicmechanic007:
Old 11-02-2023, 06:31 AM
Spudtato
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by My4Fordtrucks
When the wiper blades needed replaced, I knocked out my windshield instead.
I've got holes cut in my hood to replace the battery, change the plugs, check the brake fluid, and fill the oil.

Old 11-02-2023, 08:10 AM
jhrsmail
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Spudtato
When the wiper blades needed replaced, I knocked out my windshield instead.
I've got holes cut in my hood to replace the battery, change the plugs, check the brake fluid, and fill the oil.
Just lazy I guess, my 93 lightning is lowered and I'm a bit wider than before....so, I don't enjoy shimming my big self under the truck.. Plus, my Porsche cayenne has easy access hatch under the rear seat.. I thought, wow.. that would be a good idea for rear tank.. but to each their own . Maybe yall's trucks are flawless, mine always has fuel issues.. probably wiring..

Any whozz.. Did you ever change your injectors to the 4 port ones? any update on MPGs?

Old 11-02-2023, 08:23 AM
Spudtato
Cross-Country
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by jhrsmail
Any whozz.. Did you ever change your injectors to the 4 port ones? any update on MPGs?
I never could find the right size hole saw for the injectors to cut the holes in the hood.

Jut busting your *****. But nope, I got the impression from the forum that either my 96 already had them, or if I did swap them I wouldnt see much improvement. So I'm not gonna go through the trouble to do all the work just to find out. But if I ever have a different reason to pull off my upper intake, I may revisit the injectors while I'm there.

The following users liked this post:
Old 11-02-2023, 10:04 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Here's one for your bronco if you need a buy a patch panel ----> https://desolatemotorsports.com/shop...p-accesscover/
Thanks but I have zero need for that. A $100 patch panel that doesn’t come with a seal to keep dirt and fumes out of the passenger compartment?

Just lazy I guess, my 93 lightning is lowered and I'm a bit wider than before....so, I don't enjoy shimming my big self under the truck.. Plus, my Porsche cayenne has easy access hatch under the rear seat.. I thought, wow.. that would be a good idea for rear tank.. but to each their own . Maybe yall's trucks are flawless, mine always has fuel issues.. probably wiring.
You don’t own jack stands? I haven’t replaced the Bronco fuel pump in 20 years and the F-150 in 10+ years. When I did replace the pumps in the pickup it was with a floor jack in my gravel driveway.

Originally Posted by Spudtato
I never could find the right side hole saw for the injectors to cut the holes in the hood.

Jut busting your *****. But nope, I got the impression from the forum that either my 96 already had them, or if I did swap them I wouldnt see much improvement. So I'm not gonna go through the trouble to do all the work just to find out. But if I ever have a different reason to pull off my upper intake, I may revisit the injectors while I'm there.
I agree with what you were told. The 351W I put in the ‘89 came from a ‘94 E-150. It had 4 hole injectors.

Old 11-02-2023, 10:24 AM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
Received 244 Likes on 170 Posts
Well unless I missed it everyone also has another option. Take off the bed? Guess that would only apply to the pickup people but it isn't hard. Lots of ways of doing it and I once did think about an access panel but no reason to go hacking on the bed. Most people regret doing that in the long run. Personally I'd rather take off the bed just so I can inspect everything else while I'm in there but everyone has their own way of doing it. For all the people with the lowered trucks, jack stands aren't your only option.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:34 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,179 Likes on 960 Posts
Four holes may help some if your old injectors need servicing..which being early 90s, they do need it.

Slapping in junkyard ones is silly. Buy a reman set or grab a set from a 10th Gen and mail out.

I always drop tanks. Rare a vehicle has an access hatch for the pump anymore.

Old 11-02-2023, 11:39 AM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by OBSession05
Well unless I missed it everyone also has another option. Take off the bed?
I removed the bed for the frame swap. Every bolt spun when I tried to remove the nut. I had to cut the head off of all six bolts.

Quick Reply: Cutting a hole for fuel pump access!! -->Measurements<--