Down on power, high on EGT

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2019, 01:28 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts
Down on power, high on EGT

Out of ideas...
Recently I’ve been having high EGT issues with my truck.
02 with 180/30s, factory hpop that maintains 3000psi WOT, T4 364.5 with no boost leaks, map sensor is reading properly compared to a manual boost gauge, fuel pressure never gets lower than 53psi.
When I am going up hills, the turbo typically lights at 1700rpm and I get no higher than 700* on a hill in any tune.
Now, it will act like it’s bogging and hit 1100* on a decent hill.
I cannot see any pre turbo exhaust leaks.
Any ideas? Last year I had a similar issue but it was my map sensor. Any ideas?

Old 08-04-2019, 02:01 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 110 Likes on 70 Posts
Any black smoke? how many miles on air filter?

Old 08-04-2019, 02:21 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,569 Likes on 2,897 Posts
Do you have a dip or a valley in the rubber line that goes to the MAP sensor? It is possible for it to fill with oil and have a blockage...

If you have tried everything else, try running "a short distance" with no air filter to see if that clears things up in the EGT area.

Tuning still the same from when the truck was performing great to it performing like Honey Boo Boo now?

Old 08-04-2019, 03:12 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Any black smoke? how many miles on air filter?
Yes to the black smoke, but it always did but not to this extent. Bought the AFE filter last year so maybe 15k on it? They say good up to 30k and I don’t drive on dirt roads that often.
Originally Posted by Sous
Do you have a dip or a valley in the rubber line that goes to the MAP sensor? It is possible for it to fill with oil and have a blockage...

If you have tried everything else, try running "a short distance" with no air filter to see if that clears things up in the EGT area.

Tuning still the same from when the truck was performing great to it performing like Honey Boo Boo now?
I will check the map sensor line, yes same tuning as before, does it in all tunes. I will try the filterless run to see if that’s it. Funny thing is, it did all this after I changed the fuel filter, changed the oil and cleaned the air filter. Oddly enough the fuel PSI is 3 psi lower than the old filter but it still is around 59-60psi at idle.

Update on the boost leak test:
I decided to cap off the passenger side intercooler pipe to see if my intercooler is leaking. I fill up the system to 10-15psi, spray everything with soapy water and only find small leaks in the tester, I will loose 1 psi every 3-5 seconds, doesn’t seem large enough to be the intercooler leaking.

With this turbo mount, there are 2 1/8npt ports in the mount, would it be wise to attach a 1/8npt air tank fitting on it to test for leaks?

Old 08-04-2019, 05:01 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Just to be clear, your fuel pressure reading is post filter right?

Old 08-04-2019, 05:36 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Just to be clear, your fuel pressure reading is post filter right?
Yes, I actually do not believe this is a boost/map issue. I actually believe it is a fuel issue, I didn’t notice but it gets down to 50psi when I floor it. I believe something went wrong when I replaced the fuel filter or it just so happened to weaken after the change.
I made 35psi on the on ramp 15 minutes ago, EBP was 36psi, fuel was 60 then 55 then ~50psi.
I do have the gold spring from riff raff so shouldn’t the PSI be 65 at idle?

Old 08-04-2019, 05:54 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Maybe the grooves in the standpipe in the fuel bowl are not lined up correctly?

FP should be ~63 at idle. I think minimum safe FP is 42, but cannot remember for sure. If you were not seeing 50 PSI before the filter swap, I would take a good look at the bowl internals, the filter and the standpipe ports.

Did you use a 1 piece filter and lid or 2 piece filter and lid?

Old 08-04-2019, 07:04 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Maybe the grooves in the standpipe in the fuel bowl are not lined up correctly?

FP should be ~63 at idle. I think minimum safe FP is 42, but cannot remember for sure. If you were not seeing 50 PSI before the filter swap, I would take a good look at the bowl internals, the filter and the standpipe ports.

Did you use a 1 piece filter and lid or 2 piece filter and lid?
The motorcraft one, so two piece
i didn’t see that low of fuel pressure before, maybe 55 psi at the minimum, I will check tomorrow after work.
Sous, do you remember what the AC component was that you cleaned? The plastic encasing mine broke, and now the MAP sensor flops around.

Old 08-04-2019, 07:13 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Markus Luukko
The motorcraft one, so two piece
i didn’t see that low of fuel pressure before, maybe 55 psi at the minimum, I will check tomorrow after work.
Sous, do you remember what the AC component was that you cleaned? The plastic encasing mine broke, and now the MAP sensor flops around.
The evaporator coil?

Keep us posted on what you find. I have seen a few times where the fuel pump gets weak, but the result was not high EGT. Although, as Y2KW57 recently said, last in is first inspected. Well, it was something like that...

Old 08-04-2019, 09:14 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
The evaporator coil?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqFf7tP7Nfw

Keep us posted on what you find. I have seen a few times where the fuel pump gets weak, but the result was not high EGT. Although, as Y2KW57 recently said, last in is first inspected. Well, it was something like that...
Yes, the plastic you removed broke on mine,
i installed the filter minder on my truck, when I went on my test run, the minder hit ~50%, not too sure on an acceptable % as most stock trucks don’t hit 35psi and definitely not with a larger turbo that needs more CFM.

Old 08-04-2019, 09:16 PM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Following...

Old 08-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
Update:
I didn’t get to do a test with my backup filter but I can confirm it’s not my MAP sensor nor my EBP sensor.
Back to the drawing board.

Old 08-05-2019, 06:02 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I looked back in the thread and didn't see it mentioned, but are you using Torque Pro or Forscan to monitor it at all?

I am grasping at straws with this now and very curious to see what the resolution is.

Check TPS to see if the throttle input on the PID is equal to the throttle input on the pedal. I understand the specific tune you are running might have an effect on the TPS reading, but you should see 0 and 100 or 90ish at some point.

How did you determine it was not the MAP sensor as you indicated in another thread you suspected as that being the problem?

Is your "boost fooler" a home brew part or bought from a shop that we can put some trust into?

Keep feeding us information...

Old 08-05-2019, 07:48 PM
Markus Luukko
More Turbo
I looked back in the thread and didn't see it mentioned, but are you using Torque Pro or Forscan to monitor it at all?

I am grasping at straws with this now and very curious to see what the resolution is.

Check TPS to see if the throttle input on the PID is equal to the throttle input on the pedal. I understand the specific tune you are running might have an effect on the TPS reading, but you should see 0 and 100 or 90ish at some point.

How did you determine it was not the MAP sensor as you indicated in another thread you suspected as that being the problem?

Is your "boost fooler" a home brew part or bought from a shop that we can put some trust into?

Keep feeding us information...
I am using autoenginuity

I will check the TPS next time I drive it.

I tested the MAP vs EBP and BARO, all were within .2 psi of each other. Last year the truck was much lower on power and had as high of EGTs. I cannot remember what the shining moment of realization was but a guy on the Facebook group helped me out. With that issue I couldn’t hit 20psi if I tried, now I can hit 35 easy on an on ramp with a mechanical gauge. Funny thing is, both issues arouse after the same yearly trip to Maine. For the next 2 weeks I am driving my commuter car to work and taking apart the interior to sound deaden, and the bed off to coat the frame so there will be plenty of time for testing.

The boost fooler is a riff raff OCR so it shouldn’t be faulty.

Old 08-05-2019, 10:16 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
I don't know why I forgot about your high EGT report, sorry about that.

I don't think TPS is your problem. It sure seems like you have a boost or exhaust leak somewhere. Maybe a clogged intake, but I know you said you checked everything already.

Any chance you can look back on your Facebook to that message you referenced? I don't know FB at all.

Quick Reply: Down on power, high on EGT