6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Upper Oil Pan Leak??

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 06:01 PM
LegalDiesel
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Upper Oil Pan Leak??

I just picked up my 2016 6.7 from the dealer. It has 64,000 miles on it, used mostly to pull my fifth wheel. It has been diagnosed with an upper oil pan leak, but the dealer could not give me an estimate on how long it will take to repair. It is covered by the warranty. Has anyone else has this problem? Is it a common issue with these motors?

In the past 6 months, I have had the following issues:
1. A failed water pump at 50,000
2. A blown turbo gasket that stranded me in Flagstaff, AZ for almost a week
3. The dealer stripped the oil pan plug on a routine oil change that caused me to be leaking oil on a 3,500 mile trip. I did not notice the leak until I got back home, as I was not in my normal parking spot to notice it
4. Now the upper oil pan leak

Is this all I am going to get out of this truck? It seems since I hit 50,000 miles, it's been one thing after another. All the engine issues have been covered under the drive train warranty, but the bad oil change and this "unknown" time to repair the new leak has made me vow to never take it back to this dealer again. It just seems too many issues all at once after the first 50,000 miles being uneventful. Anyone else having similar problems?

Old 07-16-2019, 07:20 PM
Just Strokin
Post Fiend
Received 98 Likes on 84 Posts
I would guess that is a minimum of possibly an 8 hour job. maybe less. maybe more.

The transmission has to be removed so the upper oil pan can be accessed for removal.

There have been some upper oil pan leaks in the forum but doesn't seem to be a common issue.

At least you are under the PowerStroke warranty and the work will be done for free.

Old 07-16-2019, 07:42 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I had mine in for the water pump and front cover/upper pan leaks. They had to pull the upper pan to do the front cover due to the way they mate together. They had it for 3 days, day 1 diagnose and order parts, day 2 perform the work, day 3 return to customer.

They also checked the upper pan for possible warping. Luckily for me it was within spec.

Old 07-16-2019, 09:37 PM
CascadeF250
Tuned
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
My 2016 F 350 was in the dealers shop at 35,000 miles for the upper oil pan leak repair. It was back in the shop again at about 43,000 miles with the upper oil pan leak again and the Primary water pump leak. This time they replaced the upper oil pan and also the primary water pump under warranty. It takes about three days. It’s a major job as they have to remove the transmission and transfer case . I have only a few thousand miles on it since the last repair but so far no leaks. Those are the only things that have gone wrong with my truck so far.

Old 07-17-2019, 04:58 PM
radium
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Well when it rains it pours my 6 7 has just been diagnosed with a front timing chain cover leak which means they have to take off the entire front of the truck as stated above while there I'm going to have to replace the water pump and of course the serpentine belt can't really complain 157000 plus miles. The only thing I find interesting they're no longer using silicone on the mid oil pan they have now went to a gasket makes me wonder if they know there's an issue why these trucks are leaking their the 2016 and 2017 very curious the entire repair will be about 35 hundred bucks plus tax. It was originally just $2,900 but I added the water pump slave belt and new radiator fluid of course with the changing of the pump stop $350 all together but I'd rather do it now while the trucks apart take care

Old 07-17-2019, 05:41 PM
dirthawg
Posting Guru
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by radium
Well when it rains it pours my 6 7 has just been diagnosed with a front timing chain cover leak which means they have to take off the entire front of the truck as stated above while there I'm going to have to replace the water pump and of course the serpentine belt can't really complain 157000 plus miles. The only thing I find interesting they're no longer using silicone on the mid oil pan they have now went to a gasket makes me wonder if they know there's an issue why these trucks are leaking their the 2016 and 2017 very curious the entire repair will be about 35 hundred bucks plus tax. It was originally just $2,900 but I added the water pump slave belt and new radiator fluid of course with the changing of the pump stop $350 all together but I'd rather do it now while the trucks apart take care
Remind me again of what year you have? I think it's a 17+ but your profile states 2010.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:26 PM
EDC8008
Fleet Mechanic
Received 364 Likes on 133 Posts
My 14 was in 2 months ago when I was working up in Canada. Ended up not being the oil pan but the Vacuum Pump base gasket. Had them change the pump also so now no leaks. When I looked at it it sure looked like the upper pan but it was the pump. When they start leaking it comes right down the front of the pan and looks like its what's leaking from it.

Take it to another dealer or a reputable shop and have them do the dye check. To get the vacuum pump done is less than half the pan gasket so check it out. It could be the pan gasket but like my buddy who fixed mine said need to do the dye test to be sure. He works in an independent shop but is Ford trained and certified.

I also had them do idlers and belt while they were in there. Also had a larger oil cooler from Bullit Proof put in.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:14 PM
radium
Elder User
sorry 2017

Old 07-18-2019, 07:01 PM
radium
Elder User
Got an interesting update about my truck apparently there's a new lower oil pan being put on and guess what there nationally backordered might not be able to get it fixed till the end of August good grief what could be so different about the little pan on the bottom there always been made of steel since 2012 this should be interesting I might tell the tech just to put the lower oil pan back on and I'll take my chances if it leaks makes no sense at all it doesn't look like it's connected to the front where the cam cover and mid oil pan meet

Old 07-25-2019, 04:44 PM
LegalDiesel
New User
Update: My truck has been sitting in the same parking space on the dealer's lot since Wednesday, July 17. They claim they brought it in to the shop yesterday, July 24, and diagnosed where the oil leak was coming from. Then moved it back to the exact same parking space because it will take them another WEEK to actually work on it. Absolute madness. How can it take 2 plus weeks to fix it?

Old 07-25-2019, 07:10 PM
radium
Elder User
I can explain it to you go in and tell them you don't care about the lower oil pan update its nationally backordered my truck should be finished tomorrow if I didn't insist on them putting it together it would have been till the end of August I laughed at them and said I cannot work without a truck if it leaks we can always replace it when they're available I can't imagine that new little oil would matter to everything above it can always be done later without disassembling the entire truck good luck

Old 08-01-2019, 09:33 PM
projectnitemare
Laughing Gas
It took 3 weeks to fix the pan leak on my 16. It had a list of issues I got tired of throwing money at. I traded it on a new gas truck, do far it was a good decision.

Old 08-19-2022, 05:30 PM
Russman206
4wd High
16, f250 6.7 same issue dealer said upper oil pan not sure if its worth the hassle small leak . i did buy extended warrantee 7 years 70 thousand o r just trade truck in

Old 08-20-2022, 07:50 AM
The Bone
Cargo Master
Received 228 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by Russman206
16, f250 6.7 same issue dealer said upper oil pan not sure if its worth the hassle small leak . i did buy extended warrantee 7 years 70 thousand o r just trade truck in
A small leak just gets bigger over time but it will put a nice coating on the bottom of your truck. I hate oil leaks. I can't stand drips in the driveway.

Old 08-20-2022, 10:23 PM
maxum96
Tuned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know this thread is a few years old, but I had the upper oil pan leak on my 2019 6.7 with just 4,000 miles. It took one trip to the dealer to diagnose and order parts. It took another trip to the dealer to get the upper oil pan removed and resealed. It took another trip to the dealer to have them fix their crappy workmanship as the truck was leaving puddles of oil everywhere. The truck went back to the dealer (a different one than the first one) to have the upper oil pan resealed at 14,000 miles since the half-a** work done the first time was starting to leak again.

Quick Reply: Upper Oil Pan Leak??