Sponsored by: DP Tuner

7.3l Sportsmobile Questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2019, 12:15 AM
JeMoore
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
7.3l Sportsmobile Questions

Hey all, a kind fellow over on the powerstrokenation forum sent me your way.

I'm considering buying a 2000 e350 7.3l sportsmobile with about 265k on it. My wife has approved the purchase.

I'm not well acquainted with diesel engines but I have read around a bit and it looks like this engine, with proper maintenance, can run upwards of 500k. Anyone not familiar with Sportsmobile, they convert vans into offroad rv's.

The info I have received from the seller is as follows:

7.3L Powerstroke Diesel
Quigley 4x4 Conversion
3:73 gear ratio
Agile Off-Road RIP Kit (New Leaf Springs, Coil Springs and Fox 2.0 Shocks)
Engine Maintenance done at 250K Miles
New Injectors
New Glow Plugs
New Valve Cover Gaskets
New Garett Turbo
New Water Pump
New Serpantine Belt Actuated Vacuum Pump
New Camshaft Position Sensor
New Exhaust Back Pressure Tube
DP Tuner Custom Programmer
DP EGT gauge
Custom Cold Air Intake
4" Turbo Back Flow Through Exhaust
Brand New Transmission Built By G-Force Transmission with Billet Parts and HD Billet Torque Converter
New Rotors and Complete Front Brakes (July 2018)
New Wheel Bearings and Warn Manual Lock Hubs (July 2018)
New Rear Axle Seals
46 Gallon Transfer Flow Fuel Tank
1-yr old Interstate Starting Batteries
1-yr old Interstate "House Battery"

He also has a pre purchase inspection report that says tie rod end at pitman arm is loose and recommends replacing rear fox shock set and the bearings in the rear differential. No blowby.

I've seen MPG from 13 to 22 with other owners, would that be in the wheelhouse of a setup like this?

My reason for posting... not being familiar with these engines, what other questions should I be asking of the seller? What red flags should I be looking for?

Thanks for your time!

Jeff

Old 07-16-2019, 12:44 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Welcome to the forum. One thing to keep in mind, just for your knowledge, is the 7.3L in the Vans has a different turbo and is de-tuned from the factory well below that of the F-Series trucks. This is because of significantly worse cooling in the van chassis.

This engine has had a LOT of work done to it. I would question why, by whom, and what parts were they using? With rare exception, OEM is the key to longevity on these engines. So if the work was done by a cheap shop using cheap parts, anticipate replacing them again.

All of these repairs are normal repairs, just question why they were done. For aftermarket products and parts there are a small handful of trusted companies that provide high quality products. Beyond that, quality varies quite a bit.

The members of this forum are happy to provide specific recommendations.

The good thing is, the 7.3L is exceptionally easy to work on for the average garage mechanic; even with a busy schedule and kids you should be able to tackle most projects easily as long as you have another daily driver as a backup.

As far as MPG, realistically don't expect anywhere near 22mpg with that set up. 11-15mpg is realistic.

Old 07-16-2019, 01:23 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 809 Likes on 591 Posts
Sounds like a great find! Assuming all the recent work was really just preventive maintenance by a meticulous owner, not salvage recovery.

Don't know what the "New Serpantine Belt Actuated Vacuum Pump" is. Vacuum pump on these is a tiny thing that could come from a fish tank. Which just runs the HVAC controls since you have Warn hubs. However, if it is a belt powered compressor for on board air to use pneumatic tools or air up the tires, that's awesome.

These are rare and expensive. If it fits your needs jump on it. Everything that can go wrong has already gone wrong before, and this forum can help you fix it.

Obviously if the check engine light is on or other cosmetic issues arise pound them on the price. But there are few issues you cannot fix if you put in the labor.

Where are you and the van located? Got some pics?

Old 07-16-2019, 01:40 AM
JeMoore
New User
The van is in AK, I'm in So Cal. There is a possibility for an epic voyage home if it all works out.

From talking with the seller he's been working with diesel engines most of his life. He bought the van with the intention of fully rebuilding the thing for a trip from ak to the tip of so america. Life got in the way and plans fell through. It fits this families needs, just getting the money in line. As you mentioned, not cheap. Comes with a sweet trailer too.

Thanks for the quick responses.

Old 07-16-2019, 02:22 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 809 Likes on 591 Posts
Schwing!!

Follow in these footsteps?

If you can pop the coin, do it!

Old 07-16-2019, 06:01 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
I just have a couple of things that haven't been covered above. The brakes are vacuum assist on the E models, that's why it's mentioned. That is a lot of work and I too was suspicious but if the back story is true that explains it. While the 7.3 is durable and easy to work on, how it's tucked into the vans is another story, a lot of peripheral stuff has to be removed to do anything under there. As stated above there are a few differences between those and the F models and the lack of an intercooler is one of them so since it is chipped you DEFINITELY want an EGT gauge on it. On the bright side replacing up pipes are a dream on those compared to the F models. The vehicle sounds awesome and hope it treats you right if you get it. And if you do get it I'd love to hear how it goes for you, trip home and all.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:48 AM
JOHN2001
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't have much to add other then that is probably one of the coolest econolines I've ever seen!!

I never paid much attention to vans and correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure I am. The "trailer" looks to be an old Chevy van? It could be Ford could be dodge but for some reason I'm seeing Chevy. Again... I've never been into vans.

Old 07-16-2019, 04:57 PM
JeMoore
New User
Originally Posted by JOHN2001
I don't have much to add other then that is probably one of the coolest econolines I've ever seen!!

I never paid much attention to vans and correct me if I'm wrong which I'm sure I am. The "trailer" looks to be an old Chevy van? It could be Ford could be dodge but for some reason I'm seeing Chevy. Again... I've never been into vans.
I agree 100% on the cool factor, trying really hard to make it work. Unfortunately financing for RVs over 10 years old isn't really a thing.

Old 07-16-2019, 05:13 PM
dmd
Tuned
How much are they asking?

Old 07-16-2019, 06:08 PM
Tim Hodgson
Fleet Mechanic
Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Have him send you a video starting it cold showing the exhaust pipe and revving the engine. And a video of the oil cap on the oil tube but not screwed in at all with the engine idling then revved. Replace the fuel tank if you buy it. Post your exact thread over here too:

4x4 - Sportsmobile Forum

Old 07-17-2019, 01:56 AM
JeMoore
New User
Originally Posted by dmd
How much are they asking?
$65k

Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Have him send you a video starting it cold showing the exhaust pipe and revving the engine. And a video of the oil cap on the oil tube but not screwed in at all with the engine idling then revved. Replace the fuel tank if you buy it. Post your exact thread over here too:

4x4 - Sportsmobile Forum
Thanks, I'll do that.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:21 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 595 Likes on 388 Posts
Originally Posted by JeMoore
$65k

DOH!....$65k!....that's REAL money!!!!

Old 07-17-2019, 10:36 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,477 Likes on 2,860 Posts
Originally Posted by Tim Hodgson
Replace the fuel tank if you buy it. Post your exact thread over here too:

4x4 - Sportsmobile Forum
Originally Posted by JeMoore
$65k

Thanks, I'll do that.
The tank is listed as a transfer flow tank which indicates it has been replaced. The original tank that was known for problems should not be in the picture.

Also, just because $65K is asking price does not mean that is the sale price. It is a unique vehicle, which commands a high price. Both of those also require a specific and uncommon buyer though...

Old 07-17-2019, 11:25 AM
Colorado350
Postmaster
Received 119 Likes on 84 Posts
That’s been for sale on and off CL for a long time. I’m guessing it’s because of the asking price. Buyers are telling him, he’s asking too much...you should too! After the engine and transmission questions I’d ask for pictures of the tire build date, etc. Then haggle the hell out of it!!

Old 07-17-2019, 02:57 PM
TomsBeast
Freshman User
I'll make the same comment, been for sale for a long time, maybe a couple years. Looks like a sweet rig from the image enhanced pictures.

My guess is at $65k for an older SMB w/that many miles, and you have to travel to AK to see it, is the issue.
If it were me, I'd ask about it the same way, on the Sportsmobile Forum, which has a lot of active members. There's a lot of very knowledgeable guys on there, I know this van trailer combo has been discussed in a thread, and I'd be surprised if a member or two haven't looked it over in person.

I have a 7.3 E350 SMB, have had my sleeves rolled up and have performed some real major work on it.

It's exactly like working on a 7.3 truck, only different. The engine is stuffed inside a tube, nestled between narrower frame rails, with little room to work (depending on what you are working on).

My guess is that list was all preventative, but you should ask for details. The other thing I don't see mentioned and I'd go after, is the oil cooler o-rings. If the cooant degas bottle has any chocolate milk, or oily scum floating on top, the oil cooler needs to be removed and it's inner and outer o-rings changed out, they get hard over time and leak oil into the cooling system.

If it were me, I'd pay my friend Jeff, who summers in Alaska, and owns (2) SMB's, to go look at it for me. It would be money very well spent.

Quick Reply: 7.3l Sportsmobile Questions