Go Back  Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Ford Vans and other vehicles > 1968-2013 Full Size Vans
Reload this Page >

would appreciate help identifying year of this abandoned van

Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

would appreciate help identifying year of this abandoned van

 
  #1  
Old 07-12-2019, 04:45 PM
Bret Sutherland
Bret Sutherland is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Bret Sutherland is starting off with a positive reputation.
would appreciate help identifying year of this abandoned van

Iíve found this abandoned Econoline 200 in the forest near my house. iím unsure what year, but iím almost certain itís a late 60s model.

 
  #2  
Old 07-13-2019, 12:16 AM
baddad457
baddad457 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2003
Location: south louisiana
Posts: 9,719
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
The first of these were 68's. Could be 68 to around 72 I think when the grill changed. The VIN will tell you the year model.
 
  #3  
Old 07-13-2019, 12:05 PM
Bret Sutherland
Bret Sutherland is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Bret Sutherland is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by baddad457 View Post
The first of these were 68's. Could be 68 to around 72 I think when the grill changed. The VIN will tell you the year model.
where is the VIN located? it could have rusted away for all i can tell. itís been abandoned since Ď85. Newfoundland and Labrador weather doesnít take kindly to metals of any kind. 😂 I still see hope in the thing though. engine turned after i pulled the plugs and manually turned it with a breaker bar. was a bit stiff at first, but some Liquid Wrench fixed that.
 

Last edited by Bret Sutherland; 07-13-2019 at 12:12 PM. Reason: would like to add more text
  #4  
Old 07-13-2019, 01:57 PM
ligito
ligito is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,214
ligito is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Check by the driver's side windshield.
If you get the doghouse off, there are numbers in the metal, also I seem to remember on one of the frame horns.
 
  #5  
Old 07-13-2019, 01:59 PM
Bret Sutherland
Bret Sutherland is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Bret Sutherland is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
Check by the driver's side windshield.
If you get the doghouse off, there are numbers in the metal, also I seem to remember on one of the frame horns.
the windshield isnít there. i donít know what you mean by the doghouse, either. iím confused 😂😂. this seems to be one of my stupid moments
 
  #6  
Old 07-13-2019, 02:05 PM
ligito
ligito is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,214
ligito is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The doghouse is the engine cover. Remove it and under the sticky stuff on the frame, is the number.
The VIN is usually visible in the metal at the base of the windshield, on the inside of the vehicle.
 
  #7  
Old 07-13-2019, 02:06 PM
ligito
ligito is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,214
ligito is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
The doghouse is the engine cover.
 
  #8  
Old 07-13-2019, 02:08 PM
Bret Sutherland
Bret Sutherland is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Bret Sutherland is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
The doghouse is the engine cover.
the doghouse isnít there either.
 
  #9  
Old 07-13-2019, 02:11 PM
ligito
ligito is offline
Posting Guru
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Oregon
Posts: 1,214
ligito is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I drove an E300 Supervan for 25 years and had it apart many times.
I also owned many 60's era vans.
My current one is a 2002 E350 15 passenger V10 Club Wagon.

There are multiple places where they stamp VIN's in the frame, as well as the VIN plate at the base of the windshield, on the dash,
 
  #10  
Old 07-13-2019, 02:14 PM
Bret Sutherland
Bret Sutherland is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Bret Sutherland is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by ligito View Post
I drove an E300 Supervan for 25 years and had it apart many times.
I also owned many 60's era vans.
My current one is a 2002 E350 15 passenger V10 Club Wagon.

There are multiple places where they stamp VIN's in the frame, as well as the VIN plate at the base of the windshield, on the dash,
Iíll have to check those places. i can remember thereís a tag with a number stamped on it on the body behind the grill, could that possibly be it?
 
  #11  
Old 07-13-2019, 04:03 PM
Bret Sutherland
Bret Sutherland is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Bret Sutherland is starting off with a positive reputation.
iíve decoded a part number off of the engine block, and as far as i can tell itís a Ď68. i canít find a VIN number anywhere on it. the part number is C8AE-9425-B in case that helps. thank you for all your help. i greatly appreciate it.
 
  #12  
Old 07-13-2019, 04:20 PM
baddad457
baddad457 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2003
Location: south louisiana
Posts: 9,719
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Bret Sutherland View Post
iíve decoded a part number off of the engine block, and as far as i can tell itís a Ď68. i canít find a VIN number anywhere on it. the part number is C8AE-9425-B in case that helps. thank you for all your help. i greatly appreciate it.
That's the intake manifold engineering number. Not the date it was produced. The date code will be a number/letter/number(s) on what looks like a rectangular tag cast into the intake. That a V8 or six ? I can't tell in the pictures.
 
  #13  
Old 07-13-2019, 04:27 PM
baddad457
baddad457 is offline
Post Fiend
Join Date: May 2003
Location: south louisiana
Posts: 9,719
baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.baddad457 has a great reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Bret Sutherland View Post
where is the VIN located? it could have rusted away for all i can tell. itís been abandoned since Ď85. Newfoundland and Labrador weather doesnít take kindly to metals of any kind. 😂 I still see hope in the thing though. engine turned after i pulled the plugs and manually turned it with a breaker bar. was a bit stiff at first, but some Liquid Wrench fixed that.
VIN was behind the windshield sunken in a slot beneath the dash pad on the driver's side. Might also be on the driver's side door jamb. May also have the last numbers of the VIN stamped onto a flat on the rear of the engine block. If that's a 302, the engineering numbers are above the starter, along with the date code tag.
 
  #14  
Old 07-13-2019, 06:03 PM
Bret Sutherland
Bret Sutherland is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Bret Sutherland is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by baddad457 View Post
That's the intake manifold engineering number. Not the date it was produced. The date code will be a number/letter/number(s) on what looks like a rectangular tag cast into the intake. That a V8 or six ? I can't tell in the pictures.
itís a V8.
 
  #15  
Old 07-13-2019, 06:06 PM
Bret Sutherland
Bret Sutherland is offline
Freshman User
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 29
Bret Sutherland is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by baddad457 View Post
VIN was behind the windshield sunken in a slot beneath the dash pad on the driver's side. Might also be on the driver's side door jamb. May also have the last numbers of the VIN stamped onto a flat on the rear of the engine block. If that's a 302, the engineering numbers are above the starter, along with the date code tag.
iíll have to go check those spots. where is the starter? is it the component placed to the left of the fan? because as far as i know thatís the alternator, are they combined starter/alternator?
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.