Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

1994 E150 transmission question

Old 07-11-2019, 09:44 PM
Speedin
New User
Speedin is starting off with a positive reputation.
1994 E150 transmission question

Just purchased a 94 e150 econoline. 5.0 with 128k on it. Overall the van is in real good shape. Couple of questions about the transmission.
1. Having some confusion as to what transmission is in this vehicle. On the side is it stamped with AODE-W.
Is this the same transmission as the 4r70w? Little confused.
2. The transmission is experiencing a rough 1-2 shift. Feels like it has a shift kit in it. Only happens on the 1-2 shifts, the 2-3, and 3 to overdrive shift fine. Any suggestions on trouble shooting this would be much appreciated.

Old 07-12-2019, 01:01 AM
85e150
85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE.

In the beginning of overdrive automatics, there was the AOD. Mechanical, troublesome, finally worked out in the '88-'93 models. AODE followed, then 4R70W. All with the same basics, some parts interchange, and the same 14 bolt pan, with a very similar shape.

Old 07-12-2019, 06:51 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by Speedin View Post
Is this the same transmission as the 4r70w? Little confused.
That is a 4R70W. It was going to be called the AODE-W, but the decision was made to use SAE naming conventions, so it became the 4R70W. The dies to make the cases had already been made.

2. The transmission is experiencing a rough 1-2 shift. Feels like it has a shift kit in it. Only happens on the 1-2 shifts, the 2-3, and 3 to overdrive shift fine. Any suggestions on trouble shooting this would be much appreciated.
Get the codes read.

Old 07-12-2019, 08:22 AM
Speedin
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
That is a 4R70W. It was going to be called the AODE-W, but the decision was made to use SAE naming conventions, so it became the 4R70W. The dies to make the cases had already been made.

Get the codes read.

Im having a hard time finding a obd-1 reader in stock anywhere near me

Old 07-12-2019, 05:22 PM
85e150
85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation85e150 has a superb reputation
Google "how to read Ford obd 1" and find dozens of hits and videos. It's a bit of a pita.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/fo...-and-retrieval

Old 07-12-2019, 06:19 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Im having a hard time finding a obd-1 reader in stock anywhere near me
HOw To Read OBD-I Codes With Only A Paper Clip.

Old 07-12-2019, 07:43 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
I might not have anything too useful to offer. But I had a 1995 Crown Victoria with the ever so reliable 4.6L SOHC V8 backed by a 4R70W transmission, going back a few years. During my first couple years of ownership, I began to experience very noticeably harsh 1-2 shifts. It turned out to be the 1-2 shift accumulator spring had broken. The fix for it, was to replace the accumulator spring, along with accumulator piston. If I recall correctly, the valve body didn't need to be removed to access it either.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken AOD-E transmissions have a 1st gear ratio of 2.55:1 and 2nd gear ratio of 1.45:1, while 4R70W transmissions have a 2.84:1 1st gear and a 1.55:1 2nd gear, hence the 'W' to denote wide ratio.

Old 07-12-2019, 09:24 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by m-chan68 View Post
I might not have anything too useful to offer. But I had a 1995 Crown Victoria with the ever so reliable 4.6L SOHC V8 backed by a 4R70W transmission, going back a few years. During my first couple years of ownership, I began to experience very noticeably harsh 1-2 shifts. It turned out to be the 1-2 shift accumulator spring had broken. The fix for it, was to replace the accumulator spring, along with accumulator piston. If I recall correctly, the valve body didn't need to be removed to access it either.

BTW, if I'm not mistaken AOD-E transmissions have a 1st gear ratio of 2.55:1 and 2nd gear ratio of 1.45:1, while 4R70W transmissions have a 2.84:1 1st gear and a 1.55:1 2nd gear, hence the 'W' to denote wide ratio.
It is likely that he has the same problem. And you're exactly right as to the meaning of the "W".

Old 07-15-2019, 07:51 PM
Speedin
New User
So there are no codes being thrown. So most likely itís a shift accumulator spring, or piston from what I was told by a transmission shop.
It has a front pump and a main seal leak so it has to come out. I donít see the point of removing the trans just to fix the seal and accumulator. Especially since it has 128k miles on it. So I decided to purchase a freshly rebuilt one for a good deal. Itís going to the trans shop in a few days.
I want to replace the trans cooler lines as they are pretty rusty, however I am having a hard time sourcing the parts. Any suggestions?

Old 07-16-2019, 02:53 PM
Speedin
New User
So there are no codes being thrown. So most likely itís a shift accumulator spring, or piston from what I was told by a transmission shop.
It has a front pump and a main seal leak so it has to come out. I donít see the point of removing the trans just to fix the seal and accumulator. Especially since it has 128k miles on it. So I decided to purchase a freshly rebuilt one for a good deal. Itís going to the trans shop in a few days.
I want to replace the trans cooler lines as they are pretty rusty, however I am having a hard time sourcing the parts. Any suggestions?
Checked everywhere, and not even the dealer can find the transmission lines for my van. The lines are very very rusty and are seeping trans fluid. What do I do?

Old 07-16-2019, 06:24 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Post Fiend
Replace them with either hand bent metal lines or transmission fluid rated rubber lines.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:14 PM
Speedin
New User
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
Replace them with either hand bent metal lines or transmission fluid rated rubber lines.
So the lines that run along the transmission to the radiator have some pretty elaborate bends. donít know if it would be possible to hand bend the metal lines, and I donít know if the rubber ones would work.

Old 07-16-2019, 10:20 PM
m-chan68
Postmaster
m-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputationm-chan68 has a superb reputation
If you can possibly remove both lines completely intact without unbending them in even the slightest way, you can take them to a shop to supply a set and match the factory bends. This way, you would end up with a part that not only functions as intended, but would look as close to factory as possible. Metal is more durable than rubber in my opinion. Even better would be to coat the new lines to inhibit any future rust from developing.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:44 AM
JWA
Post Fiend
JWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputationJWA has a superb reputation
So the lines that run along the transmission to the radiator have some pretty elaborate bends. donít know if it would be possible to hand bend the metal lines, and I donít know if the rubber ones would work.
The duty-rated rubber hoses would be the easiest route to and from the radiator & external cooler. I don't believe new lines would have to follow the exact same path as the hard lines.

On my E-Series with 4R70W & 4R75E there are potions of the cooler lines where rubber hoses are attached to metal lines so you're basically following what the factory does.

Old 07-17-2019, 08:42 AM
Speedin
New User
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
The duty-rated rubber hoses would be the easiest route to and from the radiator & external cooler. I don't believe new lines would have to follow the exact same path as the hard lines.

On my E-Series with 4R70W & 4R75E there are potions of the cooler lines where rubber hoses are attached to metal lines so you're basically following what the factory does.
Thats what I was unsure of. If I got new lines made does it have to follow the same exact path as the stock ones? Like l said there are some pretty elaborate bends especially below the radiator. To me it seems that there is a reason why they are routed that way, but I could be wrong

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.