1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

helm joint alternative side of the road style

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 12:57 PM
carltonwebb
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
helm joint alternative side of the road style

I should have taken some pictures. I did not have the opportunity but maybe i can add some later.

The slave cylinder blew out on my son's 95 zf5 Saturday night. Got it home and found a LUK brand pre bled master cylinder and slave cylinder assembly from Summit. Got it installed and took for a test drive and everything felt great.I drove it, he drove it, felt good. Did not seem to be any wear on the pin that the master cylinder rod attached too and transmission felt better than i can ever remember.

Today he took it to class at the tech school and the master cylinder rod started popping off of the pin on the clutch bellcrank. I went down there and confirmed (he had told me ) that the little plastic bushing had given up that was supposed to lock everything on.

I had read about the helm joint mod and had wished we had the pieces yesterday when we put it back together but did not. I did not think to look at summit while we were in there.

I wondered into the little country hardware store and they had gobs of the trays with all sorts of hardware in them. While they did not have a helm joint, they had bronze and steel bushings that were 3/8" ID and the exact size of the hole of the master cylinder push rod with the plastic bushing removed.

I bought a bronze and a steel bushing just in case which i ended up cutting and using about a 1/3 of the bronze bushing. I did not have to cut the master cylinder pushrod. Everything else was like the helm joint mod as far as installation but I used a grade 8 3/8" cap screw through the bellcrank of the clutch mechanism, a washer on the inside, the pushrod with the bushing, and then another flat washer with a 3/8 lock nut. I snugged everything up making sure that the rod could pivot on the bolt but also keep it parallel to the bellcrank if that makes sense.

I thought it drove good yesterday but it felt even better today. Originally that was going to be a temp fix until i could get the helm joint but at this point, it may be permanent.

Old 07-08-2019, 04:15 PM
Pickledboater
Tuned
Received 32 Likes on 22 Posts
Nice fix! I love the miscellaneous hardware section. I’m pretty sure you could build a Jeep from the stuff in there. That bronze will probably eventually wear some, but I think it will take a while.