1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Have you guys with not perfect trucks been snubbed?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 01:33 PM
DR Smith
Fleet Mechanic
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Rob Sutter is talking about truckfest 2020 , But I hear it will be at Bob's

Old 07-08-2019, 01:40 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've had a bit of a complex with my old rusted original 52 but the more i drive it the more i get compliments from very random people. My wife even lifted an eyebrow recently when her and I drove downtime and a car full of young ladies hollered and gave a thumbs up. Maybe they were making fun of it or maybe they just thought it was cool, i don't know. Then during the recent parade I had many a random person find me afterwards and compliment me on keeping the survivor as is. That being said i still have one in the garage that will see very few gravel roads if i ever get it done. As i get older i could honestly care less about what someone else thinks of my truck. I will end with this...I like them all and i'll look at them at the shows/events/etc, but the first one's that i pick up my pace to get to are the old original looking trucks. It's becoming my preference and i have both of them in the garage. I truly wish i had never started the massive expensive restore although i've had fun through the years. However it will NOT be perfect, i just can't afford it, so it will likely NEVER be entered into a show against the big money.

Old 07-08-2019, 01:42 PM
bhalemail
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
You sure have nothing to be ashamed of. That's a beauty and i like the color

Originally Posted by Indybeer
I took my truck to the monthly car club cruise in last Friday. It was parked next to a sweet 67 Vette. Mine looks good at 50' but up close you can see the little things wrong. I had just as many compliments as he did. And he like my truck too. I built it with my hands for me to drive and enjoy....look as much as you want...go away if you want to nit pick!

Don't know if I will ever enter any shows with it. I didn't build it for that.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:10 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Received 843 Likes on 478 Posts
Originally Posted by firstrider
Kevin , trying to stir the pot?
No sir,
but the facts are your restored truck (if all stock) doesn't have a neutral safety switch either. None of my stock 56s have neutral safety switches. So would it have been a different story if my red trailer queen accidentally hit your truck? I don't care if it was a moped, motorcycle, import classic, restored car , in process build vehicle. It doesn't matter what the vehicle was that hit you, it was an ACCIDENT

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I don't enter into shows, even when my builds are finished, but like to go. I've had guys standing around my '49 outside of the show wanting to know about mine. I can see good things in all builds, keeping the sport alive... and yes I can see good in some Rat rods, and some bad in full customs and rest even restoration's have had their share of "bad work" other words "unsafe work"! I've done things out of the box at times, but I like to be safe. I like the ones that the owner does some work on the vehicle, anyone with enough money can buy a beautiful car but only a few can build one. That's why I say each their own

Old 07-08-2019, 03:40 PM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by bigwin56f100
No sir,
but the facts are your restored truck (if all stock) doesn't have a neutral safety switch either. None of my stock 56s have neutral safety switches. So would it have been a different story if my red trailer queen accidentally hit your truck? I don't care if it was a moped, motorcycle, import classic, restored car , in process build vehicle. It doesn't matter what the vehicle was that hit you, it was an ACCIDENT
It was failure to build the RR safe . It has a LS6 w/ an an automatic trans . No vehicle w/ an auto trans should be able to start & move by itself in any gear Only start & idle in park or neutral It was a mishap that could have been prevented .. Maybe his consumption of alcohol that day caused a momentary lapse of reason . Visited his shop a week ago mon. & they were drinking at 3:15 in the afternoon . He has a problem w/ the 12 ounce bottles . .

Old 07-08-2019, 05:00 PM
raytasch
Believe Nothing

Received 244 Likes on 153 Posts
Since none of these trucks of this vintage had neutral safety switches and would start in gear, I would suggest any "start in gear" accident would be considered "operator error".

Old 07-08-2019, 05:09 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,841 Likes on 1,840 Posts
I haven't been snubbed by the "finished" truck guys. My old POS holds its own fairly well. But, what I do find kind of annoying is that there are tons of guys with big buck builds that are finished that enter in the "unfinished" or "under construction" categories. I have no idea why, maybe they are afraid of the competition in whatever category they are supposed to be in?
Who knows? no-a-days I only really put my truck in one or two shows and they are basically a "no awards" type meet. Just there for fun and talk to other truck guys.

Now, I'm not trying to be some kind of Nancy Naysayer or anything but I don't see anything wrong with frosty beverages at 3:15 in the afternoon. I, like many others in a variety of industries, start my day early. That being said I'm usually done working by 3:00pm and on numerous occasions have imbibed in a delightful frosty beverage (many of which have been in 12 ounce bottles).....

...oh my... ...look at the clock, its 4:08. I'm late!

Bobby

Old 07-08-2019, 05:09 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
I had my truck jump a couple of times when I wasn't paying attention and hit the starter button. Fortunately no one or thing was in front of it at the time.

Old 07-08-2019, 06:51 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by bobbytnm
I haven't been snubbed by the "finished" truck guys. My old POS holds its own fairly well. But, what I do find kind of annoying is that there are tons of guys with big buck builds that are finished that enter in the "unfinished" or "under construction" categories. I have no idea why, maybe they are afraid of the competition in whatever category they are supposed to be in?
Who knows? no-a-days I only really put my truck in one or two shows and they are basically a "no awards" type meet. Just there for fun and talk to other truck guys.

Now, I'm not trying to be some kind of Nancy Naysayer or anything but I don't see anything wrong with frosty beverages at 3:15 in the afternoon. I, like many others in a variety of industries, start my day early. That being said I'm usually done working by 3:00pm and on numerous occasions have imbibed in a delightful frosty beverage (many of which have been in 12 ounce bottles).....

...oh my... ...look at the clock, its 4:08. I'm late!

Bobby
Here it's not a minute before noon. By 3:30 I'm just starting to do my best work!

Old 07-08-2019, 07:20 PM
bigwin56f100
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by raytasch
Since none of these trucks of this vintage had neutral safety switches and would start in gear, I would suggest any "start in gear" accident would be considered "operator error".
It would still be an accident. It wasn't done intentionally. Most accidents are caused from operator error or equipment malfunctions

Old 07-08-2019, 07:40 PM
3twinridges
Cargo Master
Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
I don’t think our 50 F1 ever gets snubbed. Personally I think it is more popular than a restored truck. It definitely gets attention, runs like a mule, and has all the character a 69 year truck should. It has been mechanically restored and I would drive it anywhere except the interstate. Some of us have to keep the character around! But I want a restored truck also I can wax which is why we started the 2nd build. Definitely more work but I think my heart will always be with the 50.

JB

Old 07-08-2019, 07:54 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts
I have to admit I don't have a neutral safety switch on mine. The PO didn't add one, and I haven't either. and I've his it once in gear (that is how I found out it didn't have one). I's planning on adding one for everyone else.

Old 07-08-2019, 08:09 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
Originally Posted by bhalemail
I've had a bit of a complex with my old rusted original 52 but the more i drive it the more i get compliments from very random people. My wife even lifted an eyebrow recently when her and I drove downtime and a car full of young ladies hollered and gave a thumbs up. Maybe they were making fun of it or maybe they just thought it was cool, i don't know. Then during the recent parade I had many a random person find me afterwards and compliment me on keeping the survivor as is. That being said i still have one in the garage that will see very few gravel roads if i ever get it done. As i get older i could honestly care less about what someone else thinks of my truck. I will end with this...I like them all and i'll look at them at the shows/events/etc, but the first one's that i pick up my pace to get to are the old original looking trucks. It's becoming my preference and i have both of them in the garage. I truly wish i had never started the massive expensive restore although i've had fun through the years. However it will NOT be perfect, i just can't afford it, so it will likely NEVER be entered into a show against the big money.
Hey Bill, your long long driveway is a gravel road! LOL.

Show the guys a pic of your 52 you're talking about.

And how's your 53 coming?

Old 07-08-2019, 08:30 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,616 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I haven't been to a show since July 2016. I had both my trucks there, side by side. It was the local car club that put it on bit they don't do it anymore. I feel it's alot of work to get a truck or two trucks ready for a show. Judges at small local shows don't know what an original stock truck should look like and that is what I like my trucks to look like , so what's the point? I prefer getting compliments at Lowe's or the local hardware store or at the diner.

I admire guys that work hard to get their vehicle ready for a show. I don't have the time or I'm too lazy. But I'd rather drive mine.

Quick Reply: Have you guys with not perfect trucks been snubbed?