2012 E350 Trans Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 05:01 PM
shadetreevanguy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2012 E350 Trans Issue

Recently, while running 85 MPH on the highway, my 2012 Ford E350, 5.4, 4R75E, 100K mile van acted like it slipped out of gear for a few seconds, then it returned to normal, only to slip out of gear again for a few seconds. By this time I was on the side of the highway coming to a stop. As I came to a stop, the engine died. After stopping I tried to restart and it wouldn't turn over. Acted like either the motor or trans was locked up. But the motor wasn't overheated. After 45 minutes sitting there, it would turn over a half turn or so, then stop again. Battery tested fine.

I got towed off highway. The next morning it started fine, motor sounds great, but now has a loud knocking sound coming from the bellhousing area. Sounds like a rod knock, but oil pressure is normal, and sound is definitely coming from bellhousing area. Knocking goes away as it warms up, until I rev it up, then it comes back. Van pulls itself forward and backward. Did not attempt to drive it further than a foot so don't know if it shifts. But it's idling lower than normal while in gear, barely fast enough to stay running. Only let it run for about 3 minutes before shutting it down. Assuming catastrophic failure within trans, and/or torque converter.

Considering replacing trans with remanufactured unit unless someone here suggests a miracle cure... Found Street Smart Transmissions that has upgraded 4R75E internals and HD Torque Converter for a decent price. Any feedback on them? Any suggestions on a good rebuilder? I'll be R&R'ing it myself. Don't want to spend $6000 on a John Wood or equivalent either.

We're in Riverside, California.

Thanks

Tim

Old 07-04-2019, 06:32 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner
Received 1,409 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Welcoime aboard ShadeTreeVanGuy!

Old 07-04-2019, 07:31 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,581 Likes on 1,059 Posts
My SWAG is a broken flex plate.

Old 07-04-2019, 12:39 PM
shadetreevanguy
New User
Interesting. Guess I need to pull it before ordering a replacement. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2019, 01:35 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by shadetreevanguy
Interesting. Guess I need to pull it before ordering a replacement. Thanks.
should be able to tell just by removing the Transmission inspection Plate

Old 07-04-2019, 01:46 PM
shadetreevanguy
New User
Well if it is broke, trans is coming out to replace flex plate, if it isn't broke, trans is coming out to replace trans. Either way, trans is going to have to come out.

Old 07-04-2019, 05:35 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
ya true Dat unless it is just broken converter bolts, but I sure don't have that kind of luck

Old 07-04-2019, 05:44 PM
shadetreevanguy
New User
My luck has been running thin lately. I did pull the inspection cover the day it happened and the converter bolts were intact. I didn't spend any time after that pursuing it further, just towed it home. I will consider myself lucky if it is the flex plate.

Old 07-06-2019, 09:47 PM
shadetreevanguy
New User
Today I pulled the trans back a good 10 inches and the flex plate is intact. Removed the flex plate and don't see any stress cracks or anything suspect. Turning the torque converter back and forth it seems to have some play though Don't know if that is normal.

Pulled the trans pan before I pulled the transmission back to drain the fluid and inspect it. Fluid looks clean and smells normal. Filter fell out as I was dropping the pan.

I've read the torque converter on these trans can fail. Wondering if that's what failed on me?

Old 07-07-2019, 06:18 PM
meborder
Received 365 Likes on 260 Posts
I’ll defer to the experts, but this almost sounds like a problem with the pump.

I cant think of anything off hand that would both cause a lack of engagement, AND make the engine feel like it is locked up.

I could see how a pump failure would do both.

But again, I’ll defer to the experts.

Serving ideas in hopes of keeping the conversation going.

Old 07-07-2019, 06:41 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Originally Posted by meborder
I’ll defer to the experts, but this almost sounds like a problem with the pump.

I cant think of anything off hand that would both cause a lack of engagement, AND make the engine feel like it is locked up.

I could see how a pump failure would do both.

But again, I’ll defer to the experts.

Serving ideas in hopes of keeping the conversation going.

^^^^ yeah I can see that, I can see a snapped Crank at the last main too... but until disassembly and further inspection... I'll just sit back and wait since I wasn't there to observe this Happening

Old 07-07-2019, 06:44 PM
shadetreevanguy
New User
Yeah, I was really hoping the flex plate was the culprit. But since it isn't, I'm thinking the best solution is to do a re manufactured transmission which would include a new torque converter. No guessing and no worrying if I fixed everything that may be damaged.

Edit: Didn't see the comment about a snapped crank. That wouldn't be good. Other than the low idle, engine sounds strong. Oil pressure is normal. Thinking I may pull torque converter and reattach trans to motor so I can start it. If the motor is quiet, it would prove that the issue is somewhere in the trans.

Crawling under the van when it was knocking, the sound was definitely coming from the front of the trans / torque converter area, Ah well, so much fun.

Old 07-07-2019, 08:36 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
I don't know your engine .... but I have seen snapped Cranks before but normally I see them snapped in the front Journal, I can't say from experience that I have ever seen one snapped in the back end mostly I have just seen them snapped in the front.... but again I'm talking older engines..... it was just a thought is all and with the engine locking up and not wanting to start.... like I said I gotta wait and see

Old 07-07-2019, 08:55 PM
lonewolf_
Scope Wizard
Originally Posted by shadetreevanguy
Yeah, I was really hoping the flex plate was the culprit. But since it isn't, I'm thinking the best solution is to do a re manufactured transmission which would include a new torque converter. No guessing and no worrying if I fixed everything that may be damaged.

Edit: Didn't see the comment about a snapped crank. That wouldn't be good. Other than the low idle, engine sounds strong. Oil pressure is normal. Thinking I may pull torque converter and reattach trans to motor so I can start it. If the motor is quiet, it would prove that the issue is somewhere in the trans.

Crawling under the van when it was knocking, the sound was definitely coming from the front of the trans / torque converter area, Ah well, so much fun.
yeah it's probably Tranny Related..... but I have seen worse... and I wasn't trying to be a Doom Sayer .... I see that a lot in the forums, but since I ain't there I try to consider all options.

Bottom line if it ain't the flex plate then it's expensive