1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Got the bed on the F3 with a little help from passers-by

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2019, 07:55 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 625 Likes on 333 Posts
Got the bed on the F3 with a little help from passers-by

Ever have things happen mostly according to a plan? That is what happened to me on Sunday - for a change!

The long story is that I've been restoring this '49 F3 for almost 3 years.

A couple of weeks ago I finally got the painted bed back from the body shop so I've been getting it ready for install. The oak floor is finished and the chassis wiring to the tail lights is done.

On Sunday I felt that the bed was ready to place on the frame. I had installed the wood while the bed was up on sawhorses, at a height that would allow me to simply drive under the bed and let gravity do its thing. My cunning plan was to ambush my neighbors at about supper time and ask for them to help me lift the bed and position it in place.

I had the truck out in the driveway to neaten up the tail light wiring and a pickup drove by my house and stopped in the road. The driver was saying something out the window but I couldn't hear, I was about 80 feet away. I ignored him a bit but he kept saying something. So I stopped what I was doing and walked up to him. Sure enough, you know what happens next....

"What year truck is that?" .... "It's a 49", "It got a flathead?" ......."Sort of, it’s a flat six".

By this time both him and his passenger were asking questions. (They seemed nice enough, and didn't seem to be casing the joint or anything - they had been visiting a neighbor at the end of the road) "Where's the rest of the truck?" ...."In my backyard, I'm going to install it later today" "How ya goin' to do that?" .....Get a few neighbors and lift it"

Then the magic words happened.

"Need a hand?, let’s do it now - we'll help"

Next thing I know the truck bed is on the frame, and I have a pickup-looking truck again for the first time in 3 years. My wife came out with her camera and captured the moments.

I offered them a couple of beers from the fridge, which they declined. They did accept some ice tea though. I invited them to stop by in a month or so to see the finished truck.

Now I'm one step closer to getting this truck ready for the Pennsylvania Truckstock road trip this fall.

Tom

Old 07-02-2019, 08:06 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,660 Likes on 1,478 Posts
Very nice! Another step closer!

Old 07-02-2019, 09:13 PM
52burjes
Mountain Pass
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Hey tom, Gonna be a great lookin' truck! You give me hope! Larry

Old 07-02-2019, 11:36 PM
jmadsen
Logistics Pro
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
Great story and that truck is looking real sharp. Good job.
Im jealous of your dedication and progress...

Old 07-03-2019, 12:07 AM
casper1999
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 34 Posts
Very Nice!!! A fresh 8 ft bed, that's gotta feel good in itself. Good job and "Drive on McDuff"!!!

Old 07-03-2019, 03:53 AM
pineconeford

Originally Posted by jmadsen
Great story and that truck is looking real sharp. Good job.
Im jealous of your dedication and progress...
Josh, it was a great feeling to be able to back up that truck carefully under the bed with confidence and no gear grinding in front of strangers thanks to the T-98 I got from you!
It shifts like a champ compared to the old 59T crashbox.
Tom

Old 07-03-2019, 04:15 AM
pineconeford

Thanks Abe, Larry and Casper....it's all of you guys who are giving me the motivation to do this with a former junkyard basket case truck.
I've been spending every spare moment I have to assemble it. Working toward the goal of it being capable of making a 1,000+ mile road trip.

In case anyone is wondering, the black stuff on the bed sides is textured truck bed coating for inside the wheel well, streaked with some wet buff polishing compound from the painted part above.
And the truck seems lifted in the back, but it is partly because it was on uneven ground side-to-side and I did have the springs re-arched at stock F3 height. I hope they settle a bit and if not I have a monster sized 1950's aftermarket rear bumper that is heavy enough to make it a low rider. I'm still undecided whether or not that massive wrap-around step bumper will go on, or if I will pick up a stock-style F1 flat bar type.
Tom

Old 07-03-2019, 05:41 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When I put my new ProsPick bed on my F-3 converted to F-1, it came in pieces so I was able to construct the bed on the truck instead of having to lift it on by myself. It is a lot lighter without the floor.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:02 AM
49willard
Cargo Master
Received 126 Likes on 64 Posts
Tom, Great story,looking fine and real progress, congrats! And you did not even have to do the heavy lifting.

Old 07-03-2019, 06:23 AM
g-money-55
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What a great story and a beautiful truck! Random acts of kindness are so few and far between these days!

Old 07-03-2019, 06:31 AM
Greg Rogers
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 82 Posts
Excellent!! Makes you feel good sort of like random acts of kindness type thing....

Old 07-03-2019, 08:21 AM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
This is awesome!! There are nice people left out there, and very few things capture people's attention like an old pickup. Not even the other classic cars I've owned or driven in can generate the enthusiasm that these do, in my opinion. There are many times when people talk to me from the end of my driveway (100 ft away) while I'm working on my cars or house. Between the radio and the tools, or my desire not to be bothered, I sometimes brush them off. Sometimes I do chat with them, and it turns out to be a great talk or the start of new friendship. That's definitely the case here!

Truck looks great, too!

Old 07-03-2019, 09:01 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

The backend doesn't look too high. I vote for not using the wrap around after market bumper.

You need those reached springs in case your truck is at a wedding like your other truck!

Old 07-03-2019, 12:19 PM
Moe Craig
Cargo Master

Received 41 Likes on 17 Posts
Wow... Looks great and coming together... Keep up all the hard work and soon you'll be driving with a smile!

Old 07-03-2019, 04:19 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

I just had a thought. God may have sent you 2 Angels to help you. Or if your not a believer, the great Ford truck God in the Sky sent you two helpers.....

Quick Reply: Got the bed on the F3 with a little help from passers-by