Notices
Modular V10 (6.8l)  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timming chain. When to PM?

Old 06-21-2019, 06:24 PM
Mattman81
Freshman User
Mattman81 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Timming chain. When to PM?

Hey guys. Been reading up on the timming chains. At what point to do say. I gotta do this? My odometer is at 210k. No idea of past history since only 20k of the milage is mine. I was looking through the V10 forum here and didn't see a lot of talk about repair to it. Which is a good sign. Question I keep thinking is when should I do it? Or what should I watch out for to tell me to do it? Is it easy enough to determine with out removing the cover.

Thanks

Old 06-21-2019, 07:25 PM
Im50fast
Humblest guy ever
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
I’m pretty sure there’s no maintenance required until the there’s a problem.
Common problem though is startup rattle caused by the hydraulic tensioners.
Also the guides wear out.

At your high high mileage it wouldn’t be unwise to do the timing job if you feel like it.
But if no startup rattle then there’s no need.

Old 06-21-2019, 08:27 PM
Mattman81
Freshman User
Can you define rattle a little more? Like the chain lapping? Is it an obvious noise from the front of the motor? Other then those slight groans from large older motor? I hear some noise when I listened tonight. Sounds lower in the engine. Might just be the exshauat resonating. Or that huge crank shaft turning. Nothing like a chain lapping or metal clanking. Other than the loose baffle I think in my valve cover.

Old 06-22-2019, 04:51 AM
Im50fast
Humblest guy ever
Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.Im50fast has a great reputation on FTE.
Sounds like a coffee can full of marbles in an earthquake for the first 2-4 second at startup of the day. Or first startup of many hours.
Its unmistakable even from the drivers seat.
And you’d definitely know it’s the front of the engine.

Old 06-22-2019, 05:13 AM
Krewat
Admin Newbie
Krewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputationKrewat has a superb reputation
In all the years of being on this forum, I don't think I've ever heard of a catastrophic timing chain failure. Some have taken the initiative and replaced guides, chains and tensioners when they're already in there for some other reason. If it's not making noise, just run it. Unless you need a fun project for a weekend or two.

Old 06-22-2019, 06:53 AM
Mattman81
Freshman User
Good to know. Thanks. There isn't a whole lot out there on it. So that's a good sign. I'll roll with it. The truck will probably finish rotting out before it goes then.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.