2015 - 2020 F150 Discuss the 2015 - 2020 Ford F150
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Ecoboost oil leak after dealer Repair... Help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 06:15 PM
idhiboy
Cross-Country
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ecoboost oil leak after dealer Repair... Help!

2018 F150 ecoboost bought new.... Developed start-up "rattle" at 15k miles, and dealership determined a timing chain and cam phaser issue.... So they replaced/repaired.
-Immediately after starting leaking lots of oil... Took back and they "fixed" although unclear where leak was.... Started leaking again
-gave them back truck for 2 weeks and leak again, they thought it was rear main seal, so replaced rear Man.... This made no sense to me as original work was all done up front.. .. Of course, now leaking again

Now dealership has truck but can't tell "where it's leaking" and told me today they have to remove parts of cab to get at motor and see where leaking!

Why is this leaking so much?

What should I do? Ask them to buy back? Invoke lemon law?

Any advice appreciated!

Old 06-20-2019, 08:42 PM
JKBrad
Received 805 Likes on 590 Posts
2.7 or 3.5? Phasers are relatively easy for the dealer to replace and should not have caused an oil leak.

The 2.7 EBs have plastic oil pans had some issues with leaking. There is a TSB. If the pan is not replaced exactly as per the TSB, it will leak again. I'm guessing that's the issue.

Also, some dealers and quick change places continue to put 5w20 in EcoBoosts to this day. That is probably what contributed to your phaser issue. My son in law had to have the phasers done on his 2.7 EB when shortly after his first oil change. The dealer offered 2 years free service and I suspect that 5w20 was put in it. Once the phasers were replaced it has been trouble free and now has 35k mils on it.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:19 PM
idhiboy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by JKBrad
2.7 or 3.5? Phasers are relatively easy for the dealer to replace and should not have caused an oil leak.

The 2.7 EBs have plastic oil pans had some issues with leaking. There is a TSB. If the pan is not replaced exactly as per the TSB, it will leak again. I'm guessing that's the issue.

Also, some dealers and quick change places continue to put 5w20 in EcoBoosts to this day. That is probably what contributed to your phaser issue. My son in law had to have the phasers done on his 2.7 EB when shortly after his first oil change. The dealer offered 2 years free service and I suspect that 5w20 was put in it. Once the phasers were replaced it has been trouble free and now has 35k mils on it.
Thanks for the insight..... It's a 3.5L....
I guess I would have thought they could have figured out an oil pan issue..... The fact that they said they were have to start tearing things down concerns me

Thanks again.

Old 06-21-2019, 12:53 AM
JKBrad
Received 805 Likes on 590 Posts
Is yours an early 2018 with a plastic oil pan?

Old 06-21-2019, 05:56 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,222 Likes on 804 Posts
With all the under covers on these trucks I can see where it would be hard to easily determine the source and I can see why they suspect the rear main. What I don't understand is how is it easier to pull part the cab versus pulling the engine.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:41 AM
idhiboy
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by JKBrad
Is yours an early 2018 with a plastic oil pan?
Sadly, I actually do not know.... Will check
Thanks again

Old 06-24-2019, 10:58 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Originally Posted by tseekins
With all the under covers on these trucks I can see where it would be hard to easily determine the source and I can see why they suspect the rear main. What I don't understand is how is it easier to pull part the cab versus pulling the engine.
On these new trucks there isn't enoough clearance to pull the engine, due to the setback. I have seen several at my dealership with the cab on a lift and the engine and frame on the floor. They even have "jumper" harness to reconnect the electrical while the cab is in the air!

Old 06-24-2019, 11:23 PM
smokewagun
Cargo Master
Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by TJReams
On these new trucks there isn't enoough clearance to pull the engine, due to the setback.
Hmmm. Is the 3.5L bigger than my 5.0L. They pulled my 5.0L and replaced it without pulling the cab. I was told it can be done either way,.. tech’s preference.

Old 06-25-2019, 09:33 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally Posted by smokewagun
Hmmm. Is the 3.5L bigger than my 5.0L. They pulled my 5.0L and replaced it without pulling the cab. I was told it can be done either way,.. tech’s preference.
It may just be because of the turbos and the associated plumbing. The intake side of the turbos has to be a bit over 4" diameter alone.

Old 02-05-2020, 01:12 PM
goss8037
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have had similar issues with my 2.7L I am currently on my 6th oil pan after 5 "repairs" by the dealership, currently at 48K miles. I'm in the middle of finind a resolution with Ford corporate to see if they can do anything to give me peace of mind before my Powertrain warranty runs out.

Old 11-27-2020, 08:38 PM
scott.butler4
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all. So I am a ford dealer tech who has replaced far more 2.7 oil pans then I would like under warranty.
The first week of November I once again replace a leaking oil pan and got the exact crappy oil pan from ford I expected.
Today I got another leaking oil pan and I was shocked to open the box and find a oil pan with a proper bloody gasket, the oil pan is still plastic but it only needs RTV at the timing cover to crank case, you also dont have to let the engine drip dry for one day, you also do not have to throw out the whole oil pan for when it leaks, just the gasket. I guess what I am saying is its a normal oil pan, I hope to whatever gods and devils there are that this is a better oil pan then the original ****.
I double & triple checked and it is a new TSB and new oil pan part number.
Here is the new oil pan part number - JT4Z-6675-B.

Old 11-27-2020, 09:39 PM
msgtord
Posting Guru
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by scott.butler4
Hello all. So I am a ford dealer tech who has replaced far more 2.7 oil pans then I would like under warranty.
The first week of November I once again replace a leaking oil pan and got the exact crappy oil pan from ford I expected.
Today I got another leaking oil pan and I was shocked to open the box and find a oil pan with a proper bloody gasket, the oil pan is still plastic but it only needs RTV at the timing cover to crank case, you also dont have to let the engine drip dry for one day, you also do not have to throw out the whole oil pan for when it leaks, just the gasket. I guess what I am saying is its a normal oil pan, I hope to whatever gods and devils there are that this is a better oil pan then the original ****.
I double & triple checked and it is a new TSB and new oil pan part number.
Here is the new oil pan part number - JT4Z-6675-B.
Thank you sir.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:44 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by idhiboy
2018 F150 ecoboost bought new.... Developed start-up "rattle" at 15k miles, and dealership determined a timing chain and cam phaser issue.... So they replaced/repaired.
-Immediately after starting leaking lots of oil... Took back and they "fixed" although unclear where leak was.... Started leaking again
-gave them back truck for 2 weeks and leak again, they thought it was rear main seal, so replaced rear Man.... This made no sense to me as original work was all done up front.. .. Of course, now leaking again

Now dealership has truck but can't tell "where it's leaking" and told me today they have to remove parts of cab to get at motor and see where leaking!

Why is this leaking so much?

What should I do? Ask them to buy back? Invoke lemon law?

Any advice appreciated!
I’m not sure about the rules in your State but if might be too late to go the Lemon Law route.

After it’s fixed, I’d suggest using another dealer for repairs.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-05-2021, 07:46 PM
mwebster22
Mountain Pass
Received 47 Likes on 27 Posts
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...pan-leaks.html

I know this is talking about lower pan leaks, but I assume folks are also checking for excess crankcase pressure just in case ....