Payload rating for towing - Thought experiment

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2019, 07:34 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 456 Likes on 332 Posts
Payload rating for towing - Thought experiment

Hey guys, wanted some opinions on something. We all know our trucks payload rating depend on how many heavy options we put in our trucks. And, I think most of us agree that a heavier truck gets pushed around less by the trailer so which situation would your prefer?

Assuming both trucks are within all payload, axle and tow ratings, pulling the exact same trailer:
A) Heavier truck (say a heavily optioned lariat) that is loaded to near max of it's payload rating while loaded up and towing. OR
b) Lighter truck, carrying the same load and pulling the same trailer, but with say 400lbs of unused payload rating?

Assume both trucks have lots of "trailer rating" left.

In my mind, while it's nice to never approach any of your ratings, there's not much to worry about with situation A. However, I'd love to hear from everyone. Note, I'm not saying F350, F150, or trailer size. you can imagine whichever of those matches your expereince. The thought prices should be the same.

Old 06-20-2019, 08:59 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,737 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
Hey guys, wanted some opinions on something. We all know our trucks payload rating depend on how many heavy options we put in our trucks. And, I think most of us agree that a heavier truck gets pushed around less by the trailer so which situation would your prefer?

Assuming both trucks are within all payload, axle and tow ratings, pulling the exact same trailer:
A) Heavier truck (say a heavily optioned lariat) that is loaded to near max of it's payload rating while loaded up and towing. OR
b) Lighter truck, carrying the same load and pulling the same trailer, but with say 400lbs of unused payload rating?

In my mind, while it's nice to never approach any of your ratings, there's not much to worry about with situation A. However, I'd love to hear from everyone. Note, I'm not saying F350, F150, or trailer size. you can imagine whichever of those matches your expereince. The thought prices should be the same.
I will take the heavier truck with heavier duty tires. Just plain physics. Gonna get pushed around less.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:20 AM
meborder
Received 369 Likes on 264 Posts
I would pick the one that rides better while not towing.

I feel like I tow more than most and Even as much as I tow a trailer, I’m not towing 90% of the time. I can deal with it for the remaining 10% when towing.

This assumes it it is a daily that tows when needed

i would probably give you a different answer assuming a dedicated tow vehicle.

There is a reason our 2004 F250 only has 34,000 miles on it.

Old 06-20-2019, 09:25 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 99150
I will take the heavier truck with heavier duty tires. Just plain physics. Gonna get pushed around less.
Not sure the tires would be different in the examples I'm thinking of, say if the only difference is Lariat vs XLT trucks. Note I'm NOT talking about F150 vs F250, that's a whole different discussion.

Old 06-20-2019, 10:40 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,737 Likes on 1,678 Posts
Not sure the tires would be different in the examples I'm thinking of, say if the only difference is Lariat vs XLT trucks. Note I'm NOT talking about F150 vs F250, that's a whole different discussion.
OK. Gotcha! Then I would take the higher trim. No particular reason........just that
1. I can afford it
2. I worked hard to get where I am
3. I like my “Cowboy Cadillac’s”

Everyone else might have a different criteria to meet.

PS. I still prefer to drive my diesel dually over the wife’s Buick SUV! Any day!

Old 06-20-2019, 01:32 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 99150
OK. Gotcha! Then I would take the higher trim. No particular reason........just that
1. I can afford it
2. I worked hard to get where I am
3. I like my “Cowboy Cadillac’s”
Fair enough. A man has to spend his money on things of his choosing.

Anyone else out there have thoughts?

Old 06-20-2019, 03:50 PM
TCNashville
Laughing Gas
Received 177 Likes on 141 Posts
Towed my 9K Jayco Eagle first with my previous truck which was a '12 F-250 XLT with the 6.7L PSD and it did great. I still tow the same trailer but now with a '17 F-250 STX trim with the 6.2L gas engine and I think this new truck handles it better than the '12 did. The '12 was a heavier truck but I think with the newer frame has a lot to do with it. I agree that a platinum trim will weigh more than an XL trim but the platform is the same and I think that's where the stability lies.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:35 AM
harmanrk
Laughing Gas
Received 71 Likes on 37 Posts
As you have narrowed this thought experiment down to 'same class' trucks 250 vs 250, not 150 vs 250. I'll just point out that it really is a moot issue. Yes, typically a Platinum weighs more than an XL, and will therefore have less payload. But what are we really talk here? 700# on a 7000# vehicle, that's just 10%. Throw in that in the case of the 250, the 10k limit used to figure these payloads is a arbitrary limit, not a physical limit and it becomes less of a gap.

Because of these, I'd take the heavier truck, knowing it will better control the trailer (not be pushed around as much), and that while I might be loaded to 'the limit' on paper, the truck has plenty of capability left at that point.

Old 06-21-2019, 06:45 AM
crewzer
Logistics Pro
Received 272 Likes on 212 Posts
Thumbs up

We sold our 2017 F350 6.2 3.73 XLT Premium and bought a 2019 F350 6.2 4.30 Lariat Ultimate with some other options. 4x2, crew cab, short bed, wheels, tires, and color are all the same. We lost ~60 lbs. of payload in the process, but the adaptive steering, lane-keeping system, 360 degree cameras, dual 10-way power front seats with heating and cooling, dual zone automatic climate control, heated steering wheel, push-to-start ignition, vastly better stereo, and other features have made It easier to load and haul the truck camper, and the journey is far more comfortable, and therefore, IMHO, safer.

HTH,
Jim / crewzer

Old 06-21-2019, 08:09 AM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
It might seem like a really arbitrary situation, but I think a huge number of people who tow and haul are up against (or over) their payload limits So for those people, a few hundred pounds added to the payload sticker makes the difference between being "overloaded" or not. That being said, I think you guys are right for most situations. I'd prefer to be say 200 lbs over my payload sticker with a 200 lbs heavier truck, especially when that towing is for a few weeks a year. I might think differently about a commercial hauling situation.

Old 06-21-2019, 10:55 AM
scott91370
Fleet Mechanic
Received 94 Likes on 76 Posts
I would have to say it depends on how much you're putting in the bed while towing.
If you have either and put nothing in the bed then the heavier truck would be the way I would go.
If it is the lighter truck and have the room to add 700# of payload and stay in the limits then I'd go that way because the trucks would end up being similar in weight and the truck being pushed around issue would be minimized/moot.

Personally I don't tow all that heavy (5500#) and my tongue weight still leaves me about 1000# of payload left. Add the family and a bike and I still have 600# or so left.

Old 06-21-2019, 04:55 PM
ibdagriz
Tuned
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm in the heavier truck line also.
We tow our 9k loaded out TT with the 2011 F-250 6.2/ 3.73 CCLB FX4 Lariat and it is very nice on the road.
The 2013 F-150 CCSB Lariat 5.0 is the wife's ride and hauls nothing. 54k mileage on it.
She works from home and goes in once every two weeks. It should last a while at that pace.

I'm in my Charger R/T or on one of the Harleys when I'm out and about.

Griz

Old 06-24-2019, 07:54 PM
arse_sidewards
More Turbo
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Why is "lighter truck and buy the rear suspension parts that the heavier optioned truck would have come with" not an option?

Old 06-24-2019, 08:45 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by arse_sidewards
Why is "lighter truck and buy the rear suspension parts that the heavier optioned truck would have come with" not an option?
Well, I'd say the majority of owners don't do anything but cosmetic modifications, but you gotta be true to yourself brother.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:28 PM
wrvond
Cargo Master
Received 67 Likes on 47 Posts

I have been in a "tail wagging the dog" situation and really didn't like it at all. You can be well within weight limits and still suffer the effects of passing semi's or big wind gusts. With a heavier truck the misbehaving trailer is going to settle down quicker than a lighter truck.

Quick Reply: Payload rating for towing - Thought experiment