Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Brake Fluid Level Low!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 02:50 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Brake Fluid Level Low!!

First issue with a recently purchased(02/2019) 2016 F150 Supercrew 3.5L.

My wife called and said that the Warning light came on that the fluid level was low and the peddle got soft. Thankfully we're in a rural area without traffic. She was almost to our daughters and limped there.
I had her pop the hood and check the reservoir. It was well below the MIN line.

I grabbed a quart from NAPA and headed over. Filled to over the MIN(2/3 of a quart) and pumped and the peddle got firm again. Swapped trucks and took the back roads home about 15 miles. About halfway the warning light came back on and the pedal got increasingly soft. When I got home and put the truck on the garage, I checked the reservoir again and it was back below the MIN. line.

No visible leaks in the garage or in the engine compartment.

From my quick searching it appears there may be an issue with the Master leaking into the Booster.

Is there a TSB/Recall for this issue? If not, has anyone done the replacement themselves? Any issues? Recommended source for parts(factory or Rock Auto)? What all needs to be replaced, ie; Master Cylinder, Booster, Anything else?

Thanks!

Old 06-16-2019, 04:29 PM
ecoboost12
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Master cylinder and Booster have to be replaced vacuum hoses checked and Vacuum Pump and yes there is a TSB out there for this, Don't Drive the truck

Old 06-17-2019, 06:58 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Received 238 Likes on 185 Posts
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
First issue with a recently purchased(02/2019) 2016 F150 Supercrew 3.5L.

My wife called and said that the Warning light came on that the fluid level was low and the peddle got soft. Thankfully we're in a rural area without traffic. She was almost to our daughters and limped there.
I had her pop the hood and check the reservoir. It was well below the MIN line.

I grabbed a quart from NAPA and headed over. Filled to over the MIN(2/3 of a quart) and pumped and the peddle got firm again. Swapped trucks and took the back roads home about 15 miles. About halfway the warning light came back on and the pedal got increasingly soft. When I got home and put the truck on the garage, I checked the reservoir again and it was back below the MIN. line.

No visible leaks in the garage or in the engine compartment.

From my quick searching it appears there may be an issue with the Master leaking into the Booster.

Is there a TSB/Recall for this issue? If not, has anyone done the replacement themselves? Any issues? Recommended source for parts(factory or Rock Auto)? What all needs to be replaced, ie; Master Cylinder, Booster, Anything else?

Thanks!
Glad to hear that that a total failure didn’t happen while driving.
With that being said and since you’re still under warranty, I’m sure your dealer will take care of this ASAP.
Any and all parts on any vehicle can fail at anytime and some without warning.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:44 AM
T diesel
Posting Guru
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ecoboost12
Master cylinder and Booster have to be replaced vacuum hoses checked and Vacuum Pump and yes there is a TSB out there for this, Don't Drive the truck
This issue deserves a recall not a TSB.
If there is aTSB.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:29 AM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
Originally Posted by ecoboost12

Only TSB out there is for the 13/14 MY trucks. I will say however the symptoms of the OP match the TSB. Hopefully the OP has a warranty.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:02 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by ford390gashog
Only TSB out there is for the 13/14 MY trucks. I will say however the symptoms of the OP match the TSB. Hopefully the OP has a warranty.
The 3yr/36k has expired. Still have the 5yr powertrain, but highly unlikely it covers brake system.

Old 06-18-2019, 04:30 PM
Kingofwylietx
Fleet Mechanic
Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts
My 2017 had a similar issue that actually caused brake failure....not too long after I bought it. The brake pedal would go all the way to the floor, intermittently, when trying to stop.
It was the intermittent part that was most unsettling when it first occurred on my drive home from work....
The dealership fixed it....but it wasn't the warm and fuzzy I was expecting from my first ever Ford F150.
On the bright side, the brakes have worked just fine since it was fixed.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:03 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Dealership quoted me about $1100 to R&R the Booster and Master Cyl. The tough part is getting it towed to the dealership. I'm out of town during the week for business M-F in June, which means my wife has to deal with it.

Old 06-18-2019, 07:51 PM
cdestuck
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dealership quoted me about $1100 to R&R the Booster and Master Cyl. The tough part is getting it towed to the dealership. I'm out of town during the week for business M-F in June, which means my wife has to deal with it.

Get a AAA membership, drive the truck down the road and park it. Call AAA

Old 06-18-2019, 08:01 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
For that price I would go elsewhere that's so outrageous! I did mine on my 14 and was less than 500 for everything including hoses and vacuum pump. I had everything done in 2 hours flat. Very easy job to complete.

Old 06-19-2019, 05:54 AM
chech
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For that price I would go elsewhere that's so outrageous! I did mine on my 14 and was less than 500 for everything including hoses and vacuum pump. I had everything done in 2 hours flat. Very easy job to complete.
And they wonder why they are called stealerships....

Old 06-19-2019, 06:34 AM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Wow......... I agree with 390.

Take it to an outside shop that you trust for the repair.

Old 06-19-2019, 06:01 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Originally Posted by cdestuck
Get a AAA membership, drive the truck down the road and park it. Call AAA
Called my insurance company and my towing is covered.
Originally Posted by GABAR
Wow......... I agree with 390.

Take it to an outside shop that you trust for the repair.
I'm going to do my best to find a shop. I've not had to use anyone local on my F250, so I'll have to ask around and see if anyone has good recommendations.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:46 AM
aerocolorado
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
7/13/2019 2016 F-150 with 3.5 Ecoboost: Same issue as original posting except after refilling reservoir and pumping pedal to obtain reasonably firm pedal, I started the truck and let it idle a few minutes. After climbing in and getting ready to go, I tested the pedal and it sank almost to the floor and the "low level" warning again appeared. Popped the hood and the reservoir was again below the MIN level. Empty after less than 5 minutes and not even moving the vehicle. Obviously the fluid is being sucked into the vacuum booster as there is no visual evidence of leakage anywhere along the brake lines or components.

This is a deadly serious issue with lethal implications. If this had happened 20 minutes later you would not be reading this post as I would, in all likelihood, have been trying to negotiate a 7% downhill grade on a narrow, mountain road finding myself suddenly without brakes. The sloth-like response of Ford Motor Company to dangerous issues such as this is more maddening than the defect itself. Having been a Ford man for over 50 years, I am really considering a change of brands.

Last edited by aerocolorado; 07-15-2019 at 09:58 AM. Reason: Additional text
Old 07-15-2019, 12:35 PM
GABAR
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by aerocolorado
7/13/2019 2016 F-150 with 3.5 Ecoboost: Same issue as original posting except after refilling reservoir and pumping pedal to obtain reasonably firm pedal, I started the truck and let it idle a few minutes. After climbing in and getting ready to go, I tested the pedal and it sank almost to the floor and the "low level" warning again appeared. Popped the hood and the reservoir was again below the MIN level. Empty after less than 5 minutes and not even moving the vehicle. Obviously the fluid is being sucked into the vacuum booster as there is no visual evidence of leakage anywhere along the brake lines or components.

This is a deadly serious issue with lethal implications. If this had happened 20 minutes later you would not be reading this post as I would, in all likelihood, have been trying to negotiate a 7% downhill grade on a narrow, mountain road finding myself suddenly without brakes. The sloth-like response of Ford Motor Company to dangerous issues such as this is more maddening than the defect itself. Having been a Ford man for over 50 years, I am really considering a change of brands.
Unfortunately, any and all parts on any vehicle can fail at any time and the way Murphys Law works, those failures always happen after the manufacturers warranty has expired.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Level Low!!