1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Engine swapped Super Duty a good idea??
Yes others have done this and it works great!
7.41%
Yes it’s a good idea tho uncommon
3.70%
Only if you stick with Ford power! (gas or newer diesel)
3.70%
No, it will cost and hassle way more than you think
85.19%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

is gas swapping a SuperDuty with a broke diesel a good idea??

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2019, 12:05 AM
apostate
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
is gas swapping a SuperDuty with a broke diesel a good idea??

So i'm here to learn about trucks that might fill my needs - and what i'm looking for sometime in the next few years is a truck that can tow up to 10k pounds while still having a considerable amount of weight in the bed. It may not HAVE to be a superduty, but one isn't off the table/it's to be considered.

I also know that Ford has had a number of problems with it's diesels over the years.... :-P While seeing quotes of like 12k to replace an engine that could very well have similar problems again, no thank you...

Enter me, the powertrain apostate...

I've heard alot of nice things about Ford trucks, liked those i've been in, and was wondering whether a nice route to a nice long lasting truck might be to buy someone's otherwise nice truck with a suicided diesel and just change out the engine. I know some people throw Cummins in there, yet i'm not even 100% fixated on a Cummins although that's also a possible solution... maybe i'd stick a Duramax in there just to throw everyone for a conniption (while avoiding the too expensive Allisons, it sounds like the 4R and 5R's are it's equal in strength?) although I don't know if that's been done before or just go gas power whether Ford Modular or *gasp* Chevy LS not being off the table either! Tho i'm totally undecided because as of yet I don't know how many miles i'll be driving (ie enough for diesel to pay for itself) or more likely I expect the miles to be later in the truck's life instead of earlier and more than one swap might even happen.

I'm NOT against experimenting. I had it in my mind to do some kind of project vehicle and so if I Dare To Be Different with the engine power and thus earn my name on the board I just expect it to be a learning experience. I dont want to do something I know will fail but i'm not against trying something experimental first on a lower value truck and if it works then doing it on the 'real' project later. (ie the keeper) Whenever I make the keeper vehicle I hope it to be kept always garaged and give decades of service so I don't mind putting some extra work into it to make it worthwhile.

However first steps first! Specific responses to specific powertrain ideas can be tackled in the comments, but is buying a used Super Duty with a lunched diesel and replacing it with an engine that is NOT a direct replacement a good way to get a good value truck or would you recommend against it??

PS i know the topic says gas, because realistically it probably will be a gas engine, at least at first, but i'm also curious what people think about other unorthodox diesels especially something as crazy as a Duramax since I don't know if i've heard of that being done vs the more popular Destroked Cummins and I like the smoothness and lighter nature of a V8 more than an inline six.

Last edited by apostate; 06-16-2019 at 12:08 AM. Reason: making more clear
Old 06-16-2019, 11:16 AM
leadmic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 171 Likes on 122 Posts
The only way this would work would be to buy two trucks of around the same year one with a bad diesel motor and one wrecked with a good gas motor.

Old 06-16-2019, 11:23 AM
GN1220
More Turbo
Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
I would say to go for it, regardless of engine choice. I've been a die-hard GM guy my entire life but when it came time for a truck, to me, the Superdutys just looked better. I prefer the solid axle in the front, which GM discontinued in 1988, and Ford offers (depending on year) a leaf or coil spring straight axle. When I bought mine it had ZERO rust and that was one of the biggest concerns for me. (She is still rust free, by the way) Also, I thought I wanted a diesel until I started reading all of the maintenance expenses and realized that a diesel was too much truck for me. That said I bought a gasser with a 5.4 and it has served me well and I'm happy with the choice. Would I like more power? Who wouldn't! But I hauled 4,500 pounds of pavers in the bed yesterday and she cruised along and stopped just fine.
Locally I see a lot of nice looking diesel trucks being parted out and I would guess much of that has to do with the expense of rebuilding/replacing the diesel. If you are buying a truck with every intent of doing an engine swap you could make out like a bandit doing as you suggested, getting a blown up diesel and swapping anything into it. As far as what to swap, I would go for torque over horsepower since these trucks are heavy. That said, go with an LS, a Coyote, a twin turbo something, be different! Good luck and be sure to post plenty of pictures!

Old 06-17-2019, 08:37 AM
getn2focus
Cross-Country
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't. It all adds up very quickly. I think for the amount of money you would spend on the truck and replacement engine to swap, you could buy yourself a decent gas Super Duty. I'm glad I've got the 6.8 V10. It's been more than capable for everything I've needed.

However, I also think that if you found the truck for a steal and could do the work yourself, it could be done. I would do as mentioned above and buy a wrecked truck with a good engine and go from there for the swap.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:35 AM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
It's only going to be reasonable if you do 100% of your own work, are competent enough to do so, and have a donor truck with all the parts. Buying all the parts and paying someone to do it would cost nearly as much as a good used truck with that platform already in it.

Old 06-17-2019, 10:40 AM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
I would do it if I needed to but as mentioned above I would have a donor truck for all the pcm parts and wiring harnesses. Gas fuel pumps are in the fuel tank and diesel pumps are on the frame so there would be some extra work involved there. The transmissions would bolt up to 5.4 or 6.8 motors with only the torque converter change to a gas engine. You would need all the radiator, ac, oil and transmission coolers for the front including the mounts. And, you wouldn't have to pull the cab.

Edit to add: I did something similar last year except I did 6.0 to 6.0. I bought a recovered theft truck in Minnesota and went from KC to Minn to get it. I then bought another recovered theft in KC with a good engine and made the swap. Minn truck was a '04 F350 and KC truck was '03 F250. When done I had a nice looking and running '04 F350 and a bunch of parts left over from the '03. I sold most of the '03 parts and actually made money in the end. I had the '04 and $$ in my pocket. All I was out was a little (well, a lot) of labor. It was a fun project and profitable in the end. I'm doing something similar right now with a '08 and '09 6.4.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:04 PM
johnfist
More Turbo
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Fefanatic
The transmissions would bolt up to 5.4 or 6.8 motors with only the torque converter change to a gas engine.
This part is not accurate. If I remember correctly, the 5.4 trans will bolt to a 6.8, but the clutches inside the trans that comes with a 6.8 are stronger than those in a 5.4 trans. Pairing them one way or the other does not have good results. Putting a 6.8 trans on a 5.4 makes for hard shifts, and putting the 5.4 on a 6.8 will wear the clutches significantly faster. Just FYI.

Old 06-17-2019, 12:30 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
The transmissions are the same externally including working for either four wheel drive or two wheel drive. The outside dimensions are the same and putting a better built diesel transmission behind a 5.4 or 6.8 won't be any detriment at all. Putting a 5.4 behind a diesel or 6.8 might not be the best idea but they will hold up quite well unless you are constantly towing the max weight for the vehicle. The 5R110W is a brute and can take a lot of load before failing. So no, putting a diesel trans behind a 5.4 or 6.8 is not going to hurt anything and probably will add to its endurance.

Other than the beefier internals there are no differences between them.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:36 PM
Batman7777
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Motors need to be setup for tranny's so they don't over-power the tranny.

A lot of motors are tuned down to accommodate tranny torque limits.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:47 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
And that's why I'm sure that they don't make performance chips for diesels or gas motors with this transmission, right?

Old 06-17-2019, 04:18 PM
leadmic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 171 Likes on 122 Posts
I'm sure if you put a gas motor behind a diesel transmission you will not over power it what ever that means. As mentioned before you will need the gas torque converter and the PCM from the gas motor to control the engine and transmission, but if you find a wrecked truck it should have all that.

Old 06-19-2019, 09:14 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had a 2004 250 5.4 and towed a 20' enclosed trailer with a Thunderbird in it. The 5.4 definitely struggled going up hills on interstate highways. Also drank some serious gas when towing. Replaced it with a '13 6.7 diesel, I have to keep reminding myself I'm towing my trailer. As far as Ford having issues with their diesels, I think if you go with a newer diesel like a '15/'16 or newer the number of issues are in line with the other manufacturers diesels. Even with the 12 - 14/15s the number of issues are way down. For example, all the manufacturers used the CP4 HPFP which self destructs and destroys the fuel system resulting in a 9 - $12,000 fix.

Old 06-20-2019, 01:36 PM
00t444e
Cargo Master
Received 424 Likes on 289 Posts
The only diesel worth swapping in there is a Cummins with a manual transmission preferably, but if you must have an automatic a built 4R100 with a low stall converter and PCS controller would be my choice.