Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Track bar clearance

Old 06-13-2019, 02:28 PM
devovino
Senior User
devovino is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Track bar clearance

Finally getting around to installing new pro comp front leafs, po owner had drop track bar bracket that is interfering with drop pitman arm. Recommendation for finding a stock/correct track bracket. Thanks in advance

Old 06-13-2019, 02:35 PM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to behold
If you're looking for OEM, I found this one. Fairly expensive for my taste. I'd bee hunting scrap yards. Not sure if other (F-250/350) brackets will work.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...iABEgJkVvD_BwE

pirate4x4_camo may have a better source for aftermarket parts

Old 06-13-2019, 03:29 PM
devovino
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXSwap View Post
If you're looking for OEM, I found this one. Fairly expensive for my taste. I'd bee hunting scrap yards. Not sure if other (F-250/350) brackets will work.

https://www.tascaparts.com/oem-parts...iABEgJkVvD_BwE

pirate4x4_camo may have a better source for aftermarket parts
Yeah a little rich for my blood, I already have a call into brads auto.
Yeah maybe pirate has an idea. He can also let me know what he thinks about these shocks.
1999-2004 Ford Superduty Bilstein 5160 Series

Old 06-13-2019, 03:34 PM
devovino
Senior User
Originally Posted by devovino View Post
Yeah a little rich for my blood, I already have a call into brads auto.
Yeah maybe pirate has an idea. He can also let me know what he thinks about these shocks.
1999-2004 Ford Superduty Bilstein 5160 Series

I just saw this on pmf site, of course my luck they are not in stock...
1999.5-2004 F-250/350, Excursion Replacement OEM Trackbar Mount

Old 06-13-2019, 03:45 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by devovino View Post
I just saw this on pmf site, of course my luck they are not in stock...
1999.5-2004 F-250/350, Excursion Replacement OEM Trackbar Mount

That is a replacement for the axle side

Old 06-13-2019, 04:31 PM
devovino
Senior User
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo View Post
Right, found that out after talking to pmf,back to drawing board.

Old 06-13-2019, 07:06 PM
devovino
Senior User
So any recommendations on a track far mount that works with drop pitman arm?

Old 06-13-2019, 09:13 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
pirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputationpirate4x4_camo has a superb reputation
Depends on how much drop your pitman arm is.

the track bar and pitman arm must have the same drop. Use a 4” drop pitman you need a 4” drop track bar mount.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:06 AM
SmackDaddy
Posting Guru
SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.SmackDaddy has a great reputation on FTE.
Depends on how much drop your pitman arm is.

the track bar and pitman arm must have the same drop. Use a 4” drop pitman you need a 4” drop track bar mount.
Basically what pirate is saying is keep the track bar and drag link parallel or as close to parallel as possible.

Old 06-14-2019, 12:54 PM
devovino
Senior User
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy View Post
Basically what pirate is saying is keep the track bar and drag link parallel or as close to parallel as possible.

Right, well to be honest the previous owner seems to have put on a 4in drop track bar bracket, with the 4in lift that was put on previous to me, and I put on a 4in drop pitman arm and it’s interfering with each other.... so now what..? Call pro comp?

Old 06-14-2019, 03:08 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
you can try calling but since they cant see what is interfering any better then i can my guess they will want to sell you matching parts since it seems likely you dont have what you think you have.

a 4” excursion lift does not require a drop Pitman/ track setup just an adjustable track bar.

Old 06-14-2019, 03:42 PM
devovino
Senior User
you can try calling but since they cant see what is interfering any better then i can my guess they will want to sell you matching parts since it seems likely you dont have what you think you have.

a 4” excursion lift does not require a drop Pitman/ track setup just an adjustable track bar.
Copy that, yeah honestly I don’t know exactly what was put on by the previous owner. What I do know is the front leaf springs were superlift as they had a sticker on them, equating to 4 in lift in the front. As for the track bar setup, it appears to be a “stock” or non-adjustable track bar there now attached to a drop track bar mount. There was never a drop pitman arm on until I put the 4in one on with the new pro comp 6in lift leaf springs, that is interfering with whatever drop track bar mount was already in place.

Also, pirate while I have your attention, do you think there is any need to get those bilstein I linked above from PMFwith remote reservoir vs just a regular bilstein shock w/o reservoir, I dont do a whole lot of off roading, but hear they handle much better in off-road situations. Your the man! Thanks

Old 06-14-2019, 09:46 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
Ok my bad, I though you had 4” of lift over stock ride height.

with more then 4” of lift you would need to use a dropped pitman which of course would mean you need to also drop the track bar to keep the drag link and track bar parallel.

Shock, I have no experience with that model so can’t speak to them, you can go to the Bilstein catalog and compare the compression and rebound valving to the ones I frequently mention. If the valving is the same then they will have the same ride characteristics. The addition of the remote reservoir doesn’t change the ride it allows you to beat on them longer off road without shock fade. If you don’t off road your Ex then the reservoir is of no benefit.

If the valving is different that doesn’t mean they are bad, just different, for all I know the valving May be more suitable as the 5100 are not perfect, just close enough for most people on the street and light dirt road driving,

Old 06-14-2019, 09:59 PM
devovino
Senior User
Ok my bad, I though you had 4” of lift over stock ride height.

with more then 4” of lift you would need to use a dropped pitman which of course would mean you need to also drop the track bar to keep the drag link and track bar parallel.

Shock, I have no experience with that model so can’t speak to them, you can go to the Bilstein catalog and compare the compression and rebound valving to the ones I frequently mention. If the valving is the same then they will have the same ride characteristics. The addition of the remote reservoir doesn’t change the ride it allows you to beat on them longer off road without shock fade. If you don’t off road your Ex then the reservoir is of no benefit.

If the valving is different that doesn’t mean they are bad, just different, for all I know the valving May be more suitable as the 5100 are not perfect, just close enough for most people on the street and light dirt road driving,
Gotcha, yeah I have been looking for just a standard/stock track bar mount as that should clear the drop pitman arm without issues. You mention using a drop bracket for the track bar, do you know of any that will also clear a 4in drop pitman arm? It seems it’s critical to keep the trac and drag link parallel so I need to find the correct drop trac bar bracket. have not yet but would it be ok to drive without the trac bar?

Old 06-14-2019, 10:16 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Post Fiend
If you use a stock track bar mount with a dropped pitman arm then you will get bump steer. So do not do that.

If you have a 6” lift then you need a dropped pitman arm or your TRE is going to bind at full droop. You need to use a dropped track bar mount that matches the pitman arm you installed.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.