Sponsored by: Halo Lifts

Top 5 Dash Cams - Reviewed

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 07:31 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Top 5 Dash Cams - Reviewed

I've heard a lot of requests about dash cams, so I took the top 5 best selling dash cams on Amazon as a starting point. I actually have a different dash cam personally, but I needed to start somewhere! These aren't necessarily the BEST dash cams, just the best selling on Amazon.

I've reviewed 5 dash cams; The APEMAN C450, Aukey DRA1, Crosstour C450, Rexing V1 and the Vantrue N2.

I'm also giving away one of the dash cams if you're interested.

Let me know what you guys think, and any feedback you have. Also, I can answer specific questions.

Old 06-15-2019, 06:00 PM
chech
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need recommendations

For a simple....easy to use but excellent dash cam....any recommendations

Old 06-15-2019, 08:04 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Received 215 Likes on 181 Posts
We have had a Falcon Zero, a Z-edge, and a Rexing V1. They all work similarly, but the Rexing is the easiest to operate. The Falcon was the easiest to set up (it works with all the most popular settings out of the box. The Falcon and the Z-edge have fairly non-intuitive interfaces, such that you are always going back to the manual. The Rexing is my favorite of this bunch so far.

Oh, the power connector on the Z-edge went SNAFU after about a year. It and the Falcon use micro-USB ports for power, and it is pretty small and fragile. The Rexing uses a mini-USB (older standard, but larger and a bit more robust). Our Falcon Zero is still functional after a couple years. We've only had the Rexing about 6 months.

Old 06-15-2019, 09:10 PM
chech
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thxs for a response

Old 06-15-2019, 10:10 PM
TJReams
Fleet Mechanic
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts
Thanks GlueGuy!

Old 06-15-2019, 11:02 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Originally Posted by chech
For a simple....easy to use but excellent dash cam....any recommendations
My personal dash cam is the Pioneer ND-DVR100. It's about $100 and is better built and easier to use than the "Top 5" I reviewed. I really like it.

https://amzn.to/31tqpv0

Originally Posted by GlueGuy
We have had a Falcon Zero, a Z-edge, and a Rexing V1. They all work similarly, but the Rexing is the easiest to operate. The Falcon was the easiest to set up (it works with all the most popular settings out of the box. The Falcon and the Z-edge have fairly non-intuitive interfaces, such that you are always going back to the manual. The Rexing is my favorite of this bunch so far.

Oh, the power connector on the Z-edge went SNAFU after about a year. It and the Falcon use micro-USB ports for power, and it is pretty small and fragile. The Rexing uses a mini-USB (older standard, but larger and a bit more robust). Our Falcon Zero is still functional after a couple years. We've only had the Rexing about 6 months.
The Rexing is absolutely a decent dash cam. It's not "high end" but it does it's job and I can't find much fault in it as a camera. I prefer the speed design of cameras applied directly to the glass compared to the auction cup style. Also, most dash cams provide top mounted power connectors, which is nice for routing the wire under the headliner. The Rexing has a side connector, but they include a 90* cord so I can forgive it.

Old 06-16-2019, 08:59 AM
Midnightmoon
Tuned
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I have a KDLinks X1. Great picture and sound but horrible and saving and viewing files. I don't recommend it for ease of use.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:33 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by A/Ox4
I prefer the speed design of cameras applied directly to the glass compared to the auction cup style. Also, most dash cams provide top mounted power connectors, which is nice for routing the wire under the headliner. The Rexing has a side connector, but they include a 90* cord so I can forgive it.
The double-sided tape that came with the Rexing only held on for 1 day. As soon as the sun hit the windshield it gave up. I switched to the suction cup mount for a bit, then tried some double-sided tape from Home Depot. That held for a couple of weeks, but also could not handle the heat. So I am back on the suction cup. It's not as low profile, but at least it stays on.

The Pioneer looks like at least as good a design. What kind of power connector does it use? I have the power cable routed under the headliner, under the dash, and into one of the lighter plugs Was a small pain to install, and I would not like to have to replace it with a different cord.

Old 06-16-2019, 09:40 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

The double-sided tape that came with the Rexing only held on for 1 day. As soon as the sun hit the windshield it gave up. I switched to the suction cup mount for a bit, then tried some double-sided tape from Home Depot. That held for a couple of weeks, but also could not handle the heat. So I am back on the suction cup. It's not as low profile, but at least it stays on.

The Pioneer looks like at least as good a design. What kind of power connector does it use? I have the power cable routed under the headliner, under the dash, and into one of the lighter plugs Was a small pain to install, and I would not like to have to replace it with a different cord.
That's interesting. Was the sticky stuff the grey 3m stuff? Mine held VERY well. I had to pry it off with the included pry tool.

The Pioneer uses the same USB micro A connector.

Old 06-16-2019, 10:15 PM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
That's interesting. Was the sticky stuff the grey 3m stuff? Mine held VERY well. I had to pry it off with the included pry tool.

The Pioneer uses the same USB micro A connector.
The stuff was gray, but it had no markings on it. The peel-off part was red. Bummer. Wonder if there is a mini-micro adapter that I might use if I need to swap.

Old 06-17-2019, 08:54 AM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

The stuff was gray, but it had no markings on it. The peel-off part was red. Bummer. Wonder if there is a mini-micro adapter that I might use if I need to swap.
I'm sorry. I mis-spoke. It is NOT a micro USB. It's Mini USB.

Attached Images  
Old 06-17-2019, 09:46 AM
GlueGuy
Lead Driver
I'm sorry. I mis-spoke. It is NOT a micro USB. It's Mini USB.
Hot damn! I'm happy so far with our Rexing, but this gives me a nice option after the Rexing is cooked.

Old 06-29-2019, 10:28 PM
A/Ox4
9 ECHO 1

Bump to the top...

I've decided to give away 3 of the day cams. Tomorrow is the last day to enter. All you have to do is go to the video and comment with your year and model and why you want one.

Thanks everyone!