2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

2 skids of pavers in the bed ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2019, 05:24 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,423 Likes on 1,797 Posts
Originally Posted by 17 Oaks
So after reading the post by Y2KW57 I went to my /19 F 350 CC LB 6.7 PSD SRW King Ranch to see the tale of the tape(s) as found on the door jamb. Very interesting: The first one applies to the wheel/tire combo and tips the scales at 3149 lbs. But the 2nd pic on door jam tells a bit different story: "Rear GAWR 7230 lbs"

Take away: With those tires and wheels, I should never exceed 3149 lbs of cargo and occupants! But with the same tires and wheels, I can run 7230 total weight on the rear axle. What I am not sure of is just how much payload I can carry. I believe it to be over 4000 lbs. But I may be wrong????
You might be.

The 7,230 Rear GAWR includes that portion of the weight of the truck itself, not just occupants or cargo.

The fancier truck you have, the more the truck by itself weighs. The more the truck by itself weighs, the more that total 7,230 lb GAWR will be consumed just carrying the truck, and the less of that capacity remains for occupants and cargo.

So how do you figure out how much bloat the King Ranch trim level takes away from the Net Cargo Carrying capacity that the rear axle can afford to bear, after first carrying itself and the truck?

One thing NOT to do is look at the numbers in Ford's advertising, which is based on an utterly stripped base model with not much more than a steering wheel and chair to sit on. Ford's advertising is at the razor's edge limit of the legal brink just shy of fallacy, in order to feed a fantasy that fosters more sales.

Have a look:

Um... 4,450 lbs.??

That's why we have to have laws and regulations. The same law that forced manufacturers to start putting the labels in the door jamb, the label that some folks discount, or outright would rather disregard.

Specifically, Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49. Subtitle B. Chapter V. Part 575. Subpart B. Section 575.103. Paragraph (d) Definitions:

"Cargo Weight Rating means the value specified by the manufacturer as the cargo-carrying capacity, in pounds or kilograms, of a vehicle, exclusive of the weight of occupants in designated seating positions, computed as 68 kilograms or 150 pounds times the number of designated seating positions."

Keep that number of designated seating positions statement in mind as you read Paragraph (e), Sub Section 2, (i) (A) through (E) inclusive... (I selected this section of law specifically due to your interest in truck campers, even though not for your SRW)

"(2)Trucks.

(i) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2)(ii) of this section, each manufacturer of a truck that is capable of accommodating a slide-in camper shall provide to the purchaser in the owner's manual or other document delivered with the truck, in writing and in the English language, the information specified in paragraphs (e)(2)(i) (A) through (E) of this section.

(A) A picture showing the manufacturer's recommended longitudinal center of gravity zone for the cargo weight rating in the form illustrated in Figure 4. The boundaries of the zone shall be such that when a slide-in camper equal in weight to the truck's cargo weight rating is installed, no GAWR of the truck is exceeded.

(B) The truck's cargo weight rating.

(C) The statements: “When the truck is used to carry a slide-in camper, the total cargo load of the truck consists of the manufacturer's camper weight figure, the weight of installed additional camper equipment not included in the manufacturer's camper weight figure, the weight of camper cargo, and the weight of passengers in the camper. The total cargo load should not exceed the truck's cargo weight rating and the camper's center of gravity should fall within the truck's recommended center of gravity zone when installed.”

(D) A picture showing the proper match of a truck and slide-in camper in the form illustrated in Figure 3.

(E) The statements: “Secure loose items to prevent weight shifts that could affect the balance of your vehicle. When the truck camper is loaded, drive to a scale and weigh on the front and on the rear wheels separately to determine axle loads. Individual axle loads should not exceed either of the gross axle weight ratings (GAWR). The total of the axle loads should not exceed the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). These ratings are given on the vehicle certification label that is located on the left side of the vehicle, normally the dash, hinge pillar, door latch post, or door edge next to the driver. If weight ratings are exceeded, move or remove items to bring all weights below the ratings.”

That's EXACTLY what you are wanting to know, right? Your truck's "cargo weight capacity".

Even though Ford doesn't ADVERTISE what the actual cargo weight capacity is for any truck other than the most basic stripped down model Ford makes in any given cab/wheelbase/powertrain configuration, the law requires Ford to let owners know, in writing, in the English language, the specific cargo weight capacity of the truck that they bought or are considering buying. Because it isn't like prospective truck buyers can take a truck they haven't yet bought over to the scales to have it weighed.

One way to figure out if a more comfortably optioned truck has enough cargo weight capacity is to review the Monroni window sticker, write down all the options, grab a calculator, and go to the documents that the law requires Ford to make available, and Ford does, through the dealer network. Here is an example (in eight slides below) pertaining to your Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 176" wheelbase 6.7L diesel with an 11,500 GVWR and 18" All Terrain tires (yes, different tire and wheel sizes are listed separately in the 100 pages of charts showing the front and rear axle weight distributions of production options available in Ford Trucks). This data is for the 2018 Model Year, but 2019 is carryover and quite similar.

After totaling up the weights of all the options your truck has, making the additions (and subtractions) to the front and rear axles respectively as directed, you will arrive at a total Front axle add, and a total Rear axle add, which shall be used in the next step found in the charts below. Be sure and use the correct portion of the chart below in accordance with your front axle weight rating (5,600 lb or 6,000 lb).

So now you have finally arrived at the actual cargo weight capacity of your specific truck, as equipped. I have no idea, and no way of knowing what options your truck has on it, but I'm going to guess that you will arrive at 2,391 lbs cargo carrying capacity on this chart if you do a complete accounting for all the factory equipped options you have. That's a lot less than 4,000 lbs, and a heck of a lot less than Ford's advertised 4,450 lbs.

But remember, the information in these charts are what federal law requires Ford to make available to consumers.

The thing is, what consumer wants to be bothered adding and subtracting all these little numbers, only to end up deflated and disappointed at the actual result. Most buyers don't. Most buyers will spend 3 weeks pouring over aftermarket wheel catalogs, but not spend 3 seconds looking at a wall of text and mind numbing numbers.

And then there's buyers like me, who can't add up the fingers on one hand without having an equal number of fingers on the other hand just to keep track. That limits me to just one hand of counting capacity. So I use that one hand to open the driver's door, and look at the label, the label that shows the number of designated seating positions, and the number that the total combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed. That second number for your truck is 3,149 lbs, and the first number is 5. Well, 5 seating positions x 150 lbs per seating position is 750 lbs. 3,149 less 750 lbs is 2,399 lbs. That is why I can guess, without knowing anything about what your options your truck may or may not have, what the chart will end up saying if you sit down for a couple of hours and add everything up.

Only you don't have to. Ford did it already, and stuck it on the door jamb. If you only have one other passenger, then your available cargo carrying capacity is 3,149 minus 300, which equals 2,849 lbs, assuming you don't have any aftermarket options not accounted for in Ford's figuring. If your driving solo, then you can haul 3,000 lbs... which is probably not enough capacity for two skids of pavers, but will carry one skid quite nicely.

By way of comparison, the 1990's era Ford diesel CCLB 4x4 SRW's only had 1,200 lbs net cargo carrying capacity when all was said and done. So much of that old truck's GAWR was devoted to hauling the truck itself, there wasn't much capacity left to haul anything. Ford has made improvements in the SRW since then, and finally offered DRW with factory 4x4 beginning in '99, a change that was welcomed by many.

Alternatively, and even more accurately, you can take the truck to a certified multi-platform scale, with the front axle on one platform, and the rear axle on the other platform. Get the individual weights on each axle, as well as the combined weight on both axles. Subtract the combined GVW READING from the cert label GVWR RATING. Let's pretend your loaded KR CCLB 4x4 weighs 8,000 lbs empty with only you in the drivers side. Subtract 8,000 from 11,500, Subtract the individual axle weight READINGS from the cert label axle weight RATINGS. The resulting three numbers will be your baselines. Set the individual axle results aside for a moment and focus solely on the Now add up the weights of your occupants, and subtract the total occupant weight from the net difference between your scale weight reading and your GVWR rating. This will result in the most accurate net cargo carrying capacity of your truck as it sits, accounting for all the tassles around the windows and the fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror. The individual axle weights that you set aside will be useful when distributing weight becomes an issue, such as with a weight distributing hitch.

Old 06-13-2019, 09:58 PM
ATC Crazy
Hotshot
Received 2,779 Likes on 1,347 Posts
My friend's dad started his own masonry business 30+ years ago. My friend was born into it, and worked with his dad into his late-20's. The truck they used (and still use today, although his dad 'retired' and my friend is working in a shop building boom trucks now) was a 1973 F350, 360ci, NP435, with a 8x10 steel dump bed on it. I have personally seen that truck haul 6k-7k in the bed at times...sometimes pulling their skid steer behind it at the same time. It has done this for 30+ years with the original D70 rear axle. I actually get to help him replace some brake lines on it this weekend.

Now saying that, I would have absolutely ZERO issues with a Dana M300...whichever version....with a couple pallets of block over it. After being on forums for over 20 years, it's almost comical how a simple thread can turn into pages and pages of technicalities, schematics, diagrams, state and federal laws, etc, etc... The more information there is available online these days, it seems the conversations get more and more technical, and they stray farther from the topic on hand. Like going 5lbs over is going to cause your axle to snap in half, DOT to impound your truck and throw you in prison, and for insurance companies to sue you into a cardboard box in an alley somewhere....

I dunno anymore....I just go by tire ratings (SRW) which has worked for me for 17 years. Then again, if it's on pallets, I'm bringing a trailer. Mulch, gravel, wood...you'd fill the bed before the weight would do any harm IME. The axle is the least of my worries.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:01 PM
Alaskan_Warbird
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
So now you have finally arrived at the actual cargo weight capacity of your specific truck, as equipped. I have no idea, and no way of knowing what options your truck has on it, but I'm going to guess that you will arrive at 2,391 lbs cargo carrying capacity on this chart if you do a complete accounting for all the factory equipped options you have. That's a lot less than 4,000 lbs, and a heck of a lot less than Ford's advertised 4,450 lbs.
I love it when people RTFM. *applause*

Old 06-14-2019, 11:17 AM
17 Oaks
Logistics Pro
Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
You might be.

The 7,230 Rear GAWR includes that portion of the weight of the truck itself, not just occupants or cargo.

The fancier truck you have, the more the truck by itself weighs. The more the truck by itself weighs, the more that total 7,230 lb GAWR will be consumed just carrying the truck, and the less of that capacity remains for occupants and cargo.

So how do you figure out how much bloat the King Ranch trim level takes away from the Net Cargo Carrying capacity that the rear axle can afford to bear, after first carrying itself and the truck?

One thing NOT to do is look at the numbers in Ford's advertising, which is based on an utterly stripped base model with not much more than a steering wheel and chair to sit on. Ford's advertising is at the razor's edge limit of the legal brink just shy of fallacy, in order to feed a fantasy that fosters more sales.

Have a look:

Um... 4,450 lbs.??

That's why we have to have laws and regulations. The same law that forced manufacturers to start putting the labels in the door jamb, the label that some folks discount, or outright would rather disregard.

Specifically, Code of Federal Regulations, Title 49. Subtitle B. Chapter V. Part 575. Subpart B. Section 575.103. Paragraph (d) Definitions:

"Cargo Weight Rating means the value specified by the manufacturer as the cargo-carrying capacity, in pounds or kilograms, of a vehicle, exclusive of the weight of occupants in designated seating positions, computed as 68 kilograms or 150 pounds times the number of designated seating positions."

Keep that number of designated seating positions statement in mind as you read Paragraph (e), Sub Section 2, (i) (A) through (E) inclusive... (I selected this section of law specifically due to your interest in truck campers, even though not for your SRW)

"(2)Trucks.

(i) Except as provided in paragraph (e)(2)(ii) of this section, each manufacturer of a truck that is capable of accommodating a slide-in camper shall provide to the purchaser in the owner's manual or other document delivered with the truck, in writing and in the English language, the information specified in paragraphs (e)(2)(i) (A) through (E) of this section.

(A) A picture showing the manufacturer's recommended longitudinal center of gravity zone for the cargo weight rating in the form illustrated in Figure 4. The boundaries of the zone shall be such that when a slide-in camper equal in weight to the truck's cargo weight rating is installed, no GAWR of the truck is exceeded.

(B) The truck's cargo weight rating.

(C) The statements: “When the truck is used to carry a slide-in camper, the total cargo load of the truck consists of the manufacturer's camper weight figure, the weight of installed additional camper equipment not included in the manufacturer's camper weight figure, the weight of camper cargo, and the weight of passengers in the camper. The total cargo load should not exceed the truck's cargo weight rating and the camper's center of gravity should fall within the truck's recommended center of gravity zone when installed.”

(D) A picture showing the proper match of a truck and slide-in camper in the form illustrated in Figure 3.

(E) The statements: “Secure loose items to prevent weight shifts that could affect the balance of your vehicle. When the truck camper is loaded, drive to a scale and weigh on the front and on the rear wheels separately to determine axle loads. Individual axle loads should not exceed either of the gross axle weight ratings (GAWR). The total of the axle loads should not exceed the gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR). These ratings are given on the vehicle certification label that is located on the left side of the vehicle, normally the dash, hinge pillar, door latch post, or door edge next to the driver. If weight ratings are exceeded, move or remove items to bring all weights below the ratings.”

That's EXACTLY what you are wanting to know, right? Your truck's "cargo weight capacity".

Even though Ford doesn't ADVERTISE what the actual cargo weight capacity is for any truck other than the most basic stripped down model Ford makes in any given cab/wheelbase/powertrain configuration, the law requires Ford to let owners know, in writing, in the English language, the specific cargo weight capacity of the truck that they bought or are considering buying. Because it isn't like prospective truck buyers can take a truck they haven't yet bought over to the scales to have it weighed.

One way to figure out if a more comfortably optioned truck has enough cargo weight capacity is to review the Monroni window sticker, write down all the options, grab a calculator, and go to the documents that the law requires Ford to make available, and Ford does, through the dealer network. Here is an example (in eight slides below) pertaining to your Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 176" wheelbase 6.7L diesel with an 11,500 GVWR and 18" All Terrain tires (yes, different tire and wheel sizes are listed separately in the 100 pages of charts showing the front and rear axle weight distributions of production options available in Ford Trucks). This data is for the 2018 Model Year, but 2019 is carryover and quite similar.

After totaling up the weights of all the options your truck has, making the additions (and subtractions) to the front and rear axles respectively as directed, you will arrive at a total Front axle add, and a total Rear axle add, which shall be used in the next step found in the charts below. Be sure and use the correct portion of the chart below in accordance with your front axle weight rating (5,600 lb or 6,000 lb).

But remember, the information in these charts are what federal law requires Ford to make available to consumers.

The thing is, what consumer wants to be bothered adding and subtracting all these little numbers, only to end up deflated and disappointed at the actual result. Most buyers don't. Most buyers will spend 3 weeks pouring over aftermarket wheel catalogs, but not spend 3 seconds looking at a wall of text and mind numbing numbers.

And then there's buyers like me, who can't add up the fingers on one hand without having an equal number of fingers on the other hand just to keep track. That limits me to just one hand of counting capacity. So I use that one hand to open the driver's door, and look at the label, the label that shows the number of designated seating positions, and the number that the total combined weight of occupants and cargo should never exceed. That second number for your truck is 3,149 lbs, and the first number is 5. Well, 5 seating positions x 150 lbs per seating position is 750 lbs. 3,149 less 750 lbs is 2,399 lbs. That is why I can guess, without knowing anything about what your options your truck may or may not have, what the chart will end up saying if you sit down for a couple of hours and add everything up.

Only you don't have to. Ford did it already, and stuck it on the door jamb. If you only have one other passenger, then your available cargo carrying capacity is 3,149 minus 300, which equals 2,849 lbs, assuming you don't have any aftermarket options not accounted for in Ford's figuring. If your driving solo, then you can haul 3,000 lbs... which is probably not enough capacity for two skids of pavers, but will carry one skid quite nicely.

By way of comparison, the 1990's era Ford diesel CCLB 4x4 SRW's only had 1,200 lbs net cargo carrying capacity when all was said and done. So much of that old truck's GAWR was devoted to hauling the truck itself, there wasn't much capacity left to haul anything. Ford has made improvements in the SRW since then, and finally offered DRW with factory 4x4 beginning in '99, a change that was welcomed by many.

Alternatively, and even more accurately, you can take the truck to a certified multi-platform scale, with the front axle on one platform, and the rear axle on the other platform. Get the individual weights on each axle, as well as the combined weight on both axles. Subtract the combined GVW READING from the cert label GVWR RATING. Let's pretend your loaded KR CCLB 4x4 weighs 8,000 lbs empty with only you in the drivers side. Subtract 8,000 from 11,500, Subtract the individual axle weight READINGS from the cert label axle weight RATINGS. The resulting three numbers will be your baselines. Set the individual axle results aside for a moment and focus solely on the Now add up the weights of your occupants, and subtract the total occupant weight from the net difference between your scale weight reading and your GVWR rating. This will result in the most accurate net cargo carrying capacity of your truck as it sits, accounting for all the tassles around the windows and the fuzzy dice hanging from the rear view mirror. The individual axle weights that you set aside will be useful when distributing weight becomes an issue, such as with a weight distributing hitch.
Thank you, not sure how to give reps but your discussion is well appreciated!!

My Take Away: Ford (as do the others) paints a pretty picture in the never-ending tale of the tape be it payload or towing etc. But when you get to the granular level what was 7000+ lbs is barely 2000 lbs. Fact is few are driving within the parameters of the chart...that said these trucks are way underrated. That old 54 Chevy in my sig line, I could get 35 bale of alfalfa hay, every bale guaranteed to be 100+ lbs = 3500 lbs from the field to the barn till I got 3500 bale in that barn. We sold that ole truck in '75 for $750, $150 more than daddy paid for it and never put a dime into it. Wish I had it back!

So that 2020 F 450 KR is gonna be loaded heavy with that Truck Camper, but I got full confidence that it can handle the load and then some...