Notices
Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Maaco Make Over

Old 06-09-2019, 10:54 PM
bluovl
Senior User
bluovl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Maaco Make Over

This project started as what seemed to be a clean up of what appeared to be a minor rust issue on the roof of my Ex. It's an area just outboard of the luggage rack at the rear drivers side. If involved the roof ditch where the Exs quarter panels and roof panel are lapped together and spot welded. Seam sealer is then flowed in to keep water and moister out of the lapped and spot welded joint. Bottom line if you see any sign of contamination, rust, breach of that seal you need take action. I had planed to paint my truck and correct some sins of the PO, finding this problem sped things up. The pictures tell the story:

Removal of the luggage rack revealed thr extent of the damage. The is after a 1st pass with 80 grit.

Second pass with wire wheel opens up more pin holes. The entire area was treated with rust mort to stop futher rusting.

from the inside with the headliner pulled down. This was also ground and treated with POR15.

POR putty comes with the activator.

Spread it on and press in to cover holes.

Sand it smooth with 400 grit. Then Finish Glaze and wet sand smooth.

From beneath.

Once everthing is smooth ready, the next step is to apply a 2 part epoxy primer. Not just primer, it has to be epoxy primer to seal out moisture. You must prepare the entire roof ditch. All the old sealer in the channel must be removed to bare metal and cleaned and prepared with epoxy primer.

You pro's out there can mix this stuff and spray it. I used rattle cans from Grainger. The can has a button that you push when you are ready to mix the elements.

The factory has robots that flow this stuff on. To make it look factory you need this special gun and "self leveling" seam sealer. You flow it on like a caulk gun. It dry's real fast! Take your time and get right. It mixes like JB weld. I used two of these because I did both side of the Ex. They make a brush on type also that could used.

The finished product after painting.

For some reason at the very end of the channel Ford left the seam exposed. I flowed a little sealer in. I heard that Explorers have a problem with leaks in the same area.

Before

After. Maaco's interpretation of Mineral Gray. Color code TK

I didn't opt for Color Sand and Buff, I'll let the patina develope naturally.

Lots more metallic than Factory.

The clear laid down pretty good.

I was planning to change the grill, but I think it looks good now after paintting.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:37 AM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to behold
Niiiice work!!! I really like seeing this type of repair going on and getting done right!!

Old 06-10-2019, 08:53 AM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
What did Maaco charge for the paint work? I recently had them strip a Tacoma roof and repaint the hood. $1000. Base coat/clear coat and had a small dent fixed on the hood.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 AM
bluovl
Senior User
Thanks, if I had it to do it again I think I would use the brush on type of seam sealer. The flowed in sealer can hide things and by the you see something it's real trouble.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:01 AM
bluovl
Senior User
Originally Posted by Dan V View Post
What did Maaco charge for the paint work? I recently had them strip a Tacoma roof and repaint the hood. $1000. Base coat/clear coat and had a small dent fixed on the hood.
$2100 to paint the whole truck. That included painting the drivers door jamb and the rear barn doors and jamb.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:05 AM
alloro
alloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant futurealloro has a brilliant future
$2100 is not a bad deal at all.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:17 AM
EXSwap
Elder User
EXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to beholdEXSwap is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by bluovl View Post
$2100 to paint the whole truck. That included painting the drivers door jamb and the rear barn doors and jamb.
Did you do all the prep work for that? Or did they prep it for you?

Old 06-10-2019, 09:23 AM
bearintex
Freshman User
bearintex is starting off with a positive reputation.
What prep work did that include? Mine was repainted poorly at some point, and I will be needing to get it redone at some point. Currently in white, but I really want to change to the coyote tan or whatever Toyota calls that color. I know there is a little rust that needs repaired on the A pillars, but other than that the body is in great shape near as I can tell, other than the flaking paint.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:36 AM
bluovl
Senior User
On their part prep included what they call "surface preparation and sealer". Basically sanding and sealing the old paint and primer where needed.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:43 AM
bluovl
Senior User
Originally Posted by EXSwap View Post
Did you do all the prep work for that? Or did they prep it for you?
The only prep work I did was the rust repair on the roof.

Old 06-10-2019, 09:45 AM
bluovl
Senior User
Originally Posted by alloro View Post
$2100 is not a bad deal at all.
If it holds up. This same shop painted a race car for me some years ago and it turned out to be bullet proof.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:23 AM
jbwheels
Senior User
jbwheels is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks great. Interesting fix on the holes.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:30 AM
Dan V
Posting Guru
Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.Dan V has a great reputation on FTE.
Nice!

I have a crewcab that needs a paint job.

Old 06-10-2019, 11:31 AM
Toreador_Diesel
Toreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputationToreador_Diesel has a superb reputation
Looks awesome, hope it holds up. Glad you got the truck fixed up.

Old 06-10-2019, 05:08 PM
PrescottIce
Elder User
PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.PrescottIce has a very good reputation on FTE.
Very nice! Congrats on a great fix and an outstanding final result!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.