Sponsored by: Moser

New radio with Door AND Dash speaker?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 03:08 PM
M4Munson
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New radio with Door AND Dash speaker?

I'm going to be putting in a single DIN radio in the 77, with new door speakers as well.

I've read a lot of threads in here (very helpful) on experiences doing so, but I do have 2 questions.

1. Is there a "go-to" technical thread done by anyone on the full scale new wiring in of a new modern single DIN radio and speakers? I've gotten tidbits here and there from other threads, but I can't seem to find one as an authority.

2. Is it possible to have the radio wired into both the 2 door speakers AND the in-dash center speaker?

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-10-2019, 09:17 AM
Meridian_Mike
Cargo Master

Received 220 Likes on 182 Posts
I am wiring my truck with a NOS AM/FM MONO radio just so I can pick up the FM stations. My truck came with an AM radio and only the dash speaker. I know a lot of the guys have said that you need to make sure you match the speaker OHMs with your radio, so you don't do damage to your radio.

With a MONO radio, I don't see why I (personally) couldn't do what you are talking about BUT, I am not sure about your radio.
IOW... a lot of variables.... so there may not be a thread like you are looking for here.

Maybe start a thread and list your specifics and ask for advice (??).

Old 06-10-2019, 12:42 PM
foxeswaltz
New User
Originally Posted by M4Munson
Is it possible to have the radio wired into both the 2 door speakers AND the in-dash center speaker?
That depends on if your new radio has provisions for a center speaker. If so, you should be able to wire it up and control the levels and such from the radio settings. Matching the impedance of the door speakers to the center speaker will make life easier for you and put less strain on the radio circuitry.

If it’s purely a two-channel stereo radio, it’s possible, but more trouble than it’s worth. To do it properly, you’d need a bridged amplifier for the center speaker, with its own gain control so you can adjust its volume separately from the door speakers. Simply bridging the radio’s stereo output will end up with an out of phase signal and could damage the radio’s amp.

Unless your radio already has a center channel built in, I’d leave the dash speaker alone. You could also wire it to a CB, or an AUX input with a small dedicated mono amp. In a truck cab, having a center speaker won’t really make that much difference to the listening experience, so you should only use it if it’s easy.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:29 PM
biasvoltage
5th Wheeling
You could get a dual channel speaker from Custom Autosound or the like, and put that in the dash location. Presumably your new head unit has provisions for 4 speakers, run the front outputs to the dual speaker in the dash and the back outputs to the speakers in the doors.

https://customautosoundmfg.com/product/dual-speakers

Old 06-10-2019, 10:33 PM
M4Munson
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by biasvoltage
You could get a dual channel speaker from Custom Autosound or the like, and put that in the dash location. Presumably your new head unit has provisions for 4 speakers, run the front outputs to the dual speaker in the dash and the back outputs to the speakers in the doors.

https://customautosoundmfg.com/product/dual-speakers
That is exactly what I decided to do. I'll update once I've got everything hooked up.

Old 06-11-2019, 07:18 AM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
I used a Custom Autosound stereo the P.O. installed but I installed a set of component speakers in the doors, I also put the foam cup behind them, makes them sound better and protect from elements. Not sure if you like the idea, but I put the Custom Autosound Undercover II behind the seats, they sound great, wish I could have but them under the seat but custom brackets prevent that, but they should fit under a standard bench. Now I can blast the tunes

The P.O. had the dash speaker and the drivers side door speaker set as the front left and right and the passenger door as the rear left, no rear right.... It sounded like total garbage. Also had the + & - reversed on some of them causing the volume control to spaz out...

Old 06-11-2019, 09:07 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by njdevil77
I used a Custom Autosound stereo the P.O. installed but I installed a set of component speakers in the doors, I also put the foam cup behind them, makes them sound better and protect from elements. Not sure if you like the idea, but I put the Custom Autosound Undercover II behind the seats, they sound great, wish I could have but them under the seat but custom brackets prevent that, but they should fit under a standard bench. Now I can blast the tunes

The P.O. had the dash speaker and the drivers side door speaker set as the front left and right and the passenger door as the rear left, no rear right.... It sounded like total garbage. Also had the + & - reversed on some of them causing the volume control to spaz out...
Do you have any pics of that foam cup you installed? Curious what it is.

Old 06-11-2019, 10:25 AM
84espy
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Old 06-11-2019, 12:26 PM
njdevil77
Tuned
Received 25 Likes on 8 Posts
Yup, same as those, but got mine on Feebay. Just trim to fit, and I also put rattle mat (dyna mat for less money) on the doors to kill the tinny sound.

Old 06-12-2019, 09:25 AM
Aaron-71
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by 84espy
Lots of stereo stores sell them. They are like these.
https://www.amazon.com/Install-Bay-S...s%2C202&sr=8-5
Originally Posted by njdevil77
Yup, same as those, but got mine on Feebay. Just trim to fit, and I also put rattle mat (dyna mat for less money) on the doors to kill the tinny sound.
Neat. Never seen this stuff before. Thanks for the link + info.

Old 06-12-2019, 04:10 PM
black & blue 78/9
Laughing Gas
Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts
Center speaker

I use the center speaker for the external speaker on the CB. It works great. Those factory center speakers are best suited for am radio or talk radio so they do well for cb.

Old 06-24-2019, 01:04 AM
CharlieXLT
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
The speaker holes in the doors... what size speakers do they accommodate?

Old 06-24-2019, 03:17 AM
JakeHan
Elder User
5 1/4” bolt right in, 6.5” takes just a shade of trimming in the doors - one that I bought had a pair of 4” mounted under the old center grille, basically a poor mans dual channel. Looks like it fit pretty nice, PO used a couple strips of flat to mount em. Those 2 along with the door speakers actually sounded quite good ( I’m not an audiophile, though). Simple wiring and pretty loud for no amp or anything.

Old 06-24-2019, 11:09 AM
CharlieXLT
Tuned
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by JakeHan
5 1/4” bolt right in...
Thanks!

Old 06-24-2019, 05:56 PM
M4Munson
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by CharlieXLT
The speaker holes in the doors... what size speakers do they accommodate?
Here's a pic of what I'm putting in. 6.5" I haven't installed them yet but I unboxed them and verified they will fit. The mounting rings have multiple mounting holes. I can't remember which ones exactly match up with the screw holes already in my door, but they do match up.

Quick Reply: New radio with Door AND Dash speaker?