Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Rear Wiper Useless?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2003, 01:45 PM
elspode
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Wiper Useless?

I cannot seem to make the rear window wiper on my '99 Explorer stay in contact with the glass all the way across it's sweep. No matter how I bend or adjust the wiper arm, it is lifting up either fore or aft somewhere in its sweep, resulting in it being just about useless. It won't keep the blade in contact with the glass all the way across, and so it doesn't wipe enough area to make it useful.

Anyone else experience this, and if so, what did you do about it?

Old 10-04-2003, 02:20 PM
oldcarbuff
Junior User
have the same problem on a 2000 Explorer. Seems to be one of those "Ford" things. I haven't fixed mine yet so can't tell you anything of use right now. I have watched mine from the rear and it appears the shaft that the arm is mounted to moves out away from the rear hatch when it gets part way thru its cycle. When it moves outward, that is when the blade stops contacting the glass. I am going to remove the rear interior panel when I get a chance and see what is going on inside. A rivet or something that holds the motor stationary may have came loose. If you check yours out first, give me a reply.
Regards, JC

Old 10-04-2003, 11:25 PM
hoov
New User
Seems like we all have this problem! My 99 is the same way. I did have it fixed for a brief time but it didnt last. I have a just accepted that its a crappy design!

Old 10-05-2003, 03:00 PM
JPC
Junior User
Both of mine work fine. It may be a problem with the mount for the motor inside the hatch. It is mounted with rubber bushings so it will flex a little. If the metal bracket is bent, that holds the motor, it could be that its not at a 90 degree angle to the window and is lifting the blade at a certian point of the arc. It's easy to get to by removing the internal trim panel. If I remember right, there is 1 screw under a small cap at the window latch and two more that hold the hatch pull strap. After that its just held on with hooks at the top and push ins at the bottom.

Old 10-05-2003, 08:43 PM
ThePheonixx2
Senior User
the problem is in the way ford designed the back hatch glass it is too flat for the wiper to get it...mine was ok until i changed the blade..now it wipes about as much as single ply toilet paper.

Old 10-05-2003, 11:42 PM
BrianJ77
Senior User
Hey...at least your's actually works! Mine worked once when I first bought it and not since. My answer is Rain-X on the rear windscreen. Water beads up and won't allow dirt to stick as easily.

Old 10-06-2003, 12:20 AM
ThePheonixx2
Senior User
i bought a product by LUND its kind of a rear wing...but it looks more molded than some i have seen, it forces air across the rear window ...keeps alot of dirt and water off it while driving...

Old 10-12-2003, 05:42 PM
dturner
New User
I have a 99 Sport and encountered the same problem. I just bent the arm over until it contacted the glass. It took a few times to get it right.

Old 10-13-2003, 08:08 AM
crokk
New User
Rear Wiper

I had the same problem with my '98'. The wiper arm tension spring weakens over time. I replaced the whole arm and now I have no problems. Plus they have a newer style of arm. I think Motormite/Help! also makes a aftermarket one #42624 and it will be cheaper than ford.

Old 10-13-2003, 09:12 AM
ThePheonixx2
Senior User
can i but this "new arm" at autozone or advance autoparts? where do i get one...cause i would love to see the wiper do its job right for once...

Old 10-13-2003, 12:42 PM
elspode
New User
Originally posted by dturner
I have a 99 Sport and encountered the same problem. I just bent the arm over until it contacted the glass. It took a few times to get it right.
I've tried that, too, but no matter how I bend it, or how much I bend it, it just makes part of the blade touch somewhere else on the glass. It never gets the whole blade in contact across the whole arc of travel...

I would be interested in where to purchase this aftermarket wiper arm that was mentioned, though.

Old 10-13-2003, 02:43 PM
SouthPCraz
Junior User
gosh my 99 mountaineer does the same thing but im just like ;thepheonixx i want this dang thing to work so it wont look like it halfway works and everyone sees it when its dirty can i buy a new arm for it?

Old 10-13-2003, 07:55 PM
crokk
New User
Originally posted by ThePheonixx2
can i but this "new arm" at autozone or advance autoparts? where do i get one...cause i would love to see the wiper do its job right for once...
Try them and Pepboys, and Napa and give them that Motormite number

Old 10-13-2003, 09:11 PM
Quiller
New User
My 97 was doing the same thing. First I got a new wiper blade, the whole metal assembly, then bent the arm to make contact. Works fine now. I also called O'reily Auto parts here because I was going to buy a new arm if my bending didn't work. They had one for $15 and Ford had one for about $4.00 more. If my bend job quits working, I'll order one from Ford.
Quiller

Old 10-13-2003, 11:01 PM
c96drumm
Laughing Gas
The hinge on mine was binding up so I oiled it a little and worked it back and forth to free it up. This worked.

Quick Reply: Rear Wiper Useless?