6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

ANOTHER FOOL ASKING ABOUT TUNERS

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 05:11 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
ANOTHER FOOL ASKING ABOUT TUNERS

I had another thread going but decided I had more questions than I could get answered. Had an early 6.4L deleted with H&S MINI. Loved it but it got totaled and the 6.7L is now out of warranty and ready to tune. I see H&S MINIs on ebay and I'm told that is old technology and no support for them. The two most popular on here seem to be SCT and (having a senior moment) whatever. I'm not sure how it is done now but I guess I would buy a tuner then hire someone to load some race tunes on it. Is that right? I'm also curious about one called DPF-R. I have no interest in plus HP tunes. I just want a delete for the DPF and maybe the EGR. I am also reading that the newer tuners require a sensor be installed in the manifold. Seems like I had to drill a hole in the manifold on my 7.3L to do that. Is that the case with these. Any response will be appreciated. Thank you

Old 06-07-2019, 12:31 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go with ezlynk. Supports all tunes so if you buy tyrant( which you shouldnt, I did and regret it) but you can buy another set of tunes and ezlynk will have them on your unit

Old 06-07-2019, 02:29 PM
jav_eee
Laughing Gas
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by suzuki0702
Go with ezlynk. Supports all tunes so if you buy tyrant( which you shouldnt, I did and regret it) but you can buy another set of tunes and ezlynk will have them on your unit
What do you regret about it?

Old 06-07-2019, 02:47 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
SCT and EZLYNK are the names you're looking for. Some EGR kits come with a plate where you take a factory EGT sensor and just plug it in and it will read easily. Most good diesel shops will install everything and get it set up properly for you and teach you how to use it. Personal advice, don't buy parts online and take into the shop, it's hard for people to support products that they did not sell. If you tow heavy I recommend an exhaust with a muffler, or maybe a straight pipe with the addition of a muffler such as the Donaldson XL's.

Old 06-07-2019, 03:57 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
I'm a do it yourself guy. I too wonder what was wrong with Tyrant tunes. If I read it right on another thread a tune is 250 buckeroos. Is that for one tune? All I really want is DPF delete. EGR off, stock. I'm very happy with the truck.

I do tow a heavy 5er 15 to 17K loaded up. You don't have to tell me about towing. I always towed in stock tune with my 6.4L but forgot once and blew a head gasket going over mount eagle TN in a plus 40 tune. Cost me 5000$ That was with an H&S Mini which I liked and which I would buy again if I thought somebody could reprogram it if something went amuck.

The money is the same 650 for an H&S and 400 for the newer ones plus 250 for a tune. Comes out the same either way. Right now I'm thinking one of the straight delete pipes and cut it and put a muffler in the middle. The 6.4L sounded like a jet plane with no muffler. I didn't know how loud it was until my wife drove it up a hill leaving our house and I was standing outside. I had plans to muffle it but we got wrecked before I got to it. Thank y'all for the replies

Old 06-07-2019, 07:16 PM
cjssr
Mountain Pass
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
I'm a do it yourself guy. I too wonder what was wrong with Tyrant tunes. If I read it right on another thread a tune is 250 buckeroos. Is that for one tune? All I really want is DPF delete. EGR off, stock. I'm very happy with the truck.

I do tow a heavy 5er 15 to 17K loaded up. You don't have to tell me about towing. I always towed in stock tune with my 6.4L but forgot once and blew a head gasket going over mount eagle TN in a plus 40 tune. Cost me 5000$ That was with an H&S Mini which I liked and which I would buy again if I thought somebody could reprogram it if something went amuck.

The money is the same 650 for an H&S and 400 for the newer ones plus 250 for a tune. Comes out the same either way. Right now I'm thinking one of the straight delete pipes and cut it and put a muffler in the middle. The 6.4L sounded like a jet plane with no muffler. I didn't know how loud it was until my wife drove it up a hill leaving our house and I was standing outside. I had plans to muffle it but we got wrecked before I got to it. Thank y'all for the replies
I would recommend going with GDP for tunes. The H&S was a good platform but no longer supported by the company! The EZ LYNK platform will allow you to purchase tunes from several good sources. Recommend staying clear of unknown startup tuners as support may disappear. The cost of most all good ones in 650 for a tune with 4 weeks support or 850.00 for unlimited tunes and unlimited support so I think the 850.00 is a no brainer. You can save 50.00 with most tuners if bought as a package with the EZ LYNK. No inexpensive but you get what you pay for just like anything else.

Old 06-07-2019, 08:02 PM
Bohen
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmmmm ..mmm

Old 06-07-2019, 10:07 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
OK. So ezlynk and SCT are legal DPF on tuners and can be bought from on line vendors or speed shops. To get what I want I then need to find someone to sell me a tune that changes my previously on road tuner to a race tuner. How do I get that? Don load from a web site I guess. Tyrant seems to be popular but a couple unhappy customers here and there. GDP is like Tyrand but a different vendor. Pipe and muffler are all over on line. Or I go to my neghiborhood speed shop and they sell me everything and do the work and give my my parts back for reassembly, right?

If I buy a web site tune and the web site shuts down I have what I have and if anything goes wrong im toast. Or if the guy who writes the tunes gets hit by a bus same deal. But once the tune is loaded it is in my tuner and I have the control to return the truck to stock. Right? Y,all have been very helpful. Thank you. I’ll make up my mind soon.

Old 06-07-2019, 11:12 PM
Bohen
Laughing Gas
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
OK. So ezlynk and SCT are legal DPF on tuners and can be bought from on line vendors or speed shops. To get what I want I then need to find someone to sell me a tune that changes my previously on road tuner to a race tuner. How do I get that? Don load from a web site I guess. Tyrant seems to be popular but a couple unhappy customers here and there. GDP is like Tyrand but a different vendor. Pipe and muffler are all over on line. Or I go to my neghiborhood speed shop and they sell me everything and do the work and give my my parts back for reassembly, right?

If I buy a web site tune and the web site shuts down I have what I have and if anything goes wrong im toast. Or if the guy who writes the tunes gets hit by a bus same deal. But once the tune is loaded it is in my tuner and I have the control to return the truck to stock. Right? Y,all have been very helpful. Thank you. I’ll make up my mind soon.
You can find all the parts online and do the work yourself or you can go to a shop But make sure they are reputable because a lot of shops put their business online for doing these things. When you get your parts make sure you know what you want if you're going for a more grumble sound then the bigger exhaust a race pipe is just fine with your factory resignation and tip but again it is all up to your preference. I recommend keeping all your factory stuff just in case you have to switch it back. Yes those programmers can be bought online and you pay for a vendor outside of them to download your tune.

Old 06-08-2019, 07:59 AM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I run an 18' f550. I need some revisions from their standard transmission file....crickets from any kind of contact from them. They are a ghost period. There is no support of any kind other than a Facebook support page which is other tyrant users........
Edit....since I spent 700 dollars on the tune files....i will probably end up purchasing proven tunes.....I contacted them on memorial day and recieved a response within an hour where I've contacted tyrant by every email I can find and again.....crickets

Old 06-08-2019, 08:08 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Sorry, im an old man. What does crickets mean. Are you saying you have Tyrant tunes and now cant get support.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:21 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Had this all typed up in a PM, but your box is fulll!

Hey buddy. You still in Ga? Hope all is well.

As for tuners, your two best platforms are SCT and EZ Link. Like those have mentioned in the thread, the EZ offers more tuning company options. The best 3 tuners on the market currently are Proven, Chaos, and Tyrant. Proven is the best of the 3. The other two I have tuned trucks with have also made people happy.

As for EGR deletes, get a good block off plate kit to remove the EGR crossover tubes. This method allows the cooler to stay on the truck, but it physically removes any chance for the exhaust gas to reach the cooler. This is the route I went on my 17. It’s the difference in 20-30 mins vs a 2-3 hour install for a full delete option.

An option most people don’t mention when deleting is a dummy plug kit. They are blank plugs to plug back into the harness. Shibby Engineering sells them. Much better route than electrical tape covering the plugs on the harness.

If if you need anything, let me know. I can help if you are still local.

Old 06-08-2019, 09:42 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by UGA33
Had this all typed up in a PM, but your box is fulll!

Hey buddy. You still in Ga? Hope all is well.

As for tuners, your two best platforms are SCT and EZ Link. Like those have mentioned in the thread, the EZ offers more tuning company options. The best 3 tuners on the market currently are Proven, Chaos, and Tyrant. Proven is the best of the 3. The other two I have tuned trucks with have also made people happy.

As for EGR deletes, get a good block off plate kit to remove the EGR crossover tubes. This method allows the cooler to stay on the truck, but it physically removes any chance for the exhaust gas to reach the cooler. This is the route I went on my 17. It’s the difference in 20-30 mins vs a 2-3 hour install for a full delete option.

An option most people don’t mention when deleting is a dummy plug kit. They are blank plugs to plug back into the harness. Shibby Engineering sells them. Much better route than electrical tape covering the plugs on the harness.

If if you need anything, let me know. I can help if you are still local.

Hi. I thought I emptied that mail box. Sorry. Im still in GA waiting for kick off. Haven’t been on here much. My 6.7 has been great 70k miles with lots of towing and not one problem. Now I want to return the favor by letting it breath and cleaning the motor oil up.

So proven will be found on line i guess. All i want is delete stock. Not interested in blowing any more HGs. We have a local shop here is Sharpsburg. Now that I know enough to have a conversation I will give them a call or just drive over and see how they look.

I did see a post on the plugs. If i put a cross over EGR kit on does that merge both cooling systems. Not sure if that would be good or bad. Seems like more circulation would run a tad cooler. If I do it it will probably be the block offs. 76 now and while I still love it under a hood the body loses steam pretty fast.

Thanks for the info. GODAWGS.

Old 06-08-2019, 10:44 AM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Hi. I thought I emptied that mail box. Sorry. Im still in GA waiting for kick off. Haven’t been on here much. My 6.7 has been great 70k miles with lots of towing and not one problem. Now I want to return the favor by letting it breath and cleaning the motor oil up.

So proven will be found on line i guess. All i want is delete stock. Not interested in blowing any more HGs. We have a local shop here is Sharpsburg. Now that I know enough to have a conversation I will give them a call or just drive over and see how they look.

I did see a post on the plugs. If i put a cross over EGR kit on does that merge both cooling systems. Not sure if that would be good or bad. Seems like more circulation would run a tad cooler. If I do it it will probably be the block offs. 76 now and while I still love it under a hood the body loses steam pretty fast.

Thanks for the info. GODAWGS.
Proven doesn’t tune on the SCT platform, so if you choose them, EZ is the platform to use. Chaos and Tyrant both write tunes for the SCT devices which are much cheaper. If you are just looking for a single tune/no HP added tune, the SCT would be your best route.

The cooling systems are never crossed. They always stay separate no matter which EGR delete method you use. Hope this helps.

Old 06-08-2019, 12:08 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Yes it does, thank you

Quick Reply: ANOTHER FOOL ASKING ABOUT TUNERS