Goose Box air relief valve

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 01:23 PM
rameyer
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Goose Box air relief valve

Hello, been running a goose box for a year now and really like it. I don't know how I got along without it before.

I have one issue though, the air relief valve for the air bag. The original valve was really bad and the company sent me a new one. It works better, but after just a few bumps, it releases air down to about 30 psi. It will keep it at this level even on long trips, but I need it at 50 psi to keep the hitch at the proper level. (green label showing)

I see the gen 2 goose boxes have an upgraded air relief valve. I thought I would try one, but couldn't find one for sale. My local Reese dealer said she could special order it, but it would be $350! Gen 2 air relief valve I don't need it that bad...

So, I have read other places someone said to just remove the relief valve. Little worried about this though.

Has anyone on here removed theirs or replaced it with a better one?

Old 06-06-2019, 02:34 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,631 Likes on 1,644 Posts
Originally Posted by rameyer
Hello, been running a goose box for a year now and really like it. I don't know how I got along without it before.

I have one issue though, the air relief valve for the air bag. The original valve was really bad and the company sent me a new one. It works better, but after just a few bumps, it releases air down to about 30 psi. It will keep it at this level even on long trips, but I need it at 50 psi to keep the hitch at the proper level. (green label showing)

I see the gen 2 goose boxes have an upgraded air relief valve. I thought I would try one, but couldn't find one for sale. My local Reese dealer said she could special order it, but it would be $350! Gen 2 air relief valve I don't need it that bad...

So, I have read other places someone said to just remove the relief valve. Little worried about this though.

Has anyone on here removed theirs or replaced it with a better one?
Good question. I have the same issue, so it made me think. I had an 18000 GVW enclosed gooseneck trailer with an air ride hitch on it (Shocker Hitch). There was no relief valve in it, with no adverse effects that I could tell. I just might give this a try......easy to do.....just unscrew the relief valve and replace with a 1/4” NPT plug.
What can possibly go wrong????????? LOL!

Old 06-06-2019, 02:52 PM
rameyer
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 99150
What can possibly go wrong????????? LOL!
I suppose if you blew a hole in the air bag, you could still use the hitch. Wonder if there would be any adverse affects to the hitch operating without the airbag inflated?

Old 06-06-2019, 04:19 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
I suppose if you blew a hole in the air bag, you could still use the hitch. Wonder if there would be any adverse affects to the hitch operating without the airbag inflated?
Probably the same thing would happen if one were to blow an air bag with the relief valve in place. Just the odds of it happening are much less with said relief valve.
But, with this being said, I never blew a bag in that gooseneck trailer, so...........guess what. My valve is gone and there is now a plug in its place. When I hook up again in a couple of weeks, I will get the pressure set and see how things work out.

Old 06-06-2019, 04:27 PM
rameyer
Cross-Country
I had a Trail Air Tri-glide hitch before this with an airbag. It did not have a relief valve either. I think I am with you. That valve is coming off.

Old 06-14-2019, 09:43 PM
oxt127
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I replaced mine with a plug for the same reason as you. Hasn't lost a lb since.

Old 06-29-2019, 07:37 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Update: 1400 miles on thhis trip so far since removing the relief valve and putting in a plug. No air loss at all!

Old 07-15-2019, 10:03 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Update.............over 3000 miles and no issues. The plug stays!
The indicator stayed in the green zone for the whole trip.

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-16-2019, 12:27 PM
rameyer
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by 99150
Plugged mine too. Only a short trip so far but all is good. Good to hear from someone who has some miles on it now.

Old 07-18-2019, 10:50 PM
RPFB
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I replaced the pressure relief valve on my Gen 1 Goosebox with an
100psi one 100psi one
, which matches what Reese says is the actual max pressure capacity of the airbag. My heavy TH would blow the PRV anytime I hit a bump so I basically ended up stopping at every rest stop to refill. With this valve, no more problems with that and I have the reassurance that this valve will vent pressure before the bag blows from overpressurization.

$6 was much better than dropping $250 on the Gen2 valve!

Old 07-19-2019, 01:02 PM
sloate9471
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the tip. I just ordered one.

Old 07-24-2023, 10:15 AM
mcdees84
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hoping to revive an old thread and see if anyone else has had any success and modifying the goose box air valve. I have the Gen 3 20k model (HERE). I saw this guy run a hose inside his rig with the a much more complex set up than I want (
). I was thinking of just running a hose to inside my wetbay with a schrader valve to more easily access it for filling up instead of crawling in the bed.

I was going to pull the factory air valve and basically put in a new threaded coupling into the bag with a quick push connect 1/4 on the other side, run 1/4 hose to the wetbay to a push quick connect schrader valve w/no relief valve at all.

But now, I'm wondering if just replacing the air relief valve with a higher set PSI relief valve is easier/better as it will hold the PSI where I want it and still offer some protection from a blown bag.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-26-2023, 09:45 PM
tsmithco
Tuned
Received 128 Likes on 80 Posts
Are you having an issue with the relief valve? Only Gen1 had the issues. Gen 2 and Gen 3 shouldn't be leaking any air with the new valves.

That being said, the placement is awful. I have a Gen 2, and simply put a 90 degree elbow on so I could use my battery powered Ryobi air compressor. I deflate the bag for winter and reinflate in spring - and never have to add any air all year.

Old 07-28-2023, 08:15 AM
traveldawg
More Turbo
Received 137 Likes on 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Desert Don
Probably the same thing would happen if one were to blow an air bag with the relief valve in place. Just the odds of it happening are much less with said relief valve.
But, with this being said, I never blew a bag in that gooseneck trailer, so...........guess what. My valve is gone and there is now a plug in its place. When I hook up again in a couple of weeks, I will get the pressure set and see how things work out.
Originally Posted by oxt127
I replaced mine with a plug for the same reason as you. Hasn't lost a lb since.
Update: 1400 miles on thhis trip so far since removing the relief valve and putting in a plug. No air loss at all!
Plugged mine too. Only a short trip so far but all is good. Good to hear from someone who has some miles on it now.
All of you that have "plugged" your air bag.... How do you get air into it? Are you really using a "plug" or just a simple Schrader valve?

Thanks!

Old 07-29-2023, 09:11 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by traveldawg
All of you that have "plugged" your air bag.... How do you get air into it? Are you really using a "plug" or just a simple Schrader valve?

Thanks!
Just by replacing the relief valve only, the existing schroeder valve stays in place.

Quick Reply: Goose Box air relief valve