2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Diesel Regeneration

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 02:52 AM
Meterman1993
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Diesel Regeneration

I just finished a 120 mile trip with my new 2019 SD. It was mainly steady speed of 80 mph on the interstate. I had a couple stops before I got home in which I turned the truck off each time. When I arrived home I let my wife out to open the garage door since I don't have the opener yet programmed. She noticed a loud ticking or metallic sound coming from the engine also noticed a hot smell like something was burning. I got the truck parked in the garage and noticed the ticking sound went away but we still noticed the hot smell. I am assuming the truck was in regeneration? I didn't notice any warning light on the dash. Was it in regeneration or maybe something else is wrong? What are the rest of you seeing? My truck currently has just 360 miles.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:05 AM
System
Prolocutor
Received 1,200 Likes on 574 Posts
It was regening and yes, the thermal expansion sound and smell is perfectly normal. (The smell will dissipate some once you get some miles on the truck...) There is no light on the dash so you won't know when a regen is happening.

Old 06-02-2019, 06:42 PM
RONMCHUGH
Romcjr

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts
You will find numerous threads on the regen cycle for these trucks , as well as forscan changes that will let you do an operator commanded regen . Welcome to the new Super Duty's .

Old 06-03-2019, 07:52 AM
Greg Hamilton
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah... I can't believe for the life of me that Ford doesn't have it set up from the factory to at least have a message pop up in the screen that the truck is starting to regen. My 2010 would do this and it wasn't near as fancy as these new ones!!!

Old 06-03-2019, 08:37 AM
System
Prolocutor
Originally Posted by Greg Hamilton
Yeah... I can't believe for the life of me that Ford doesn't have it set up from the factory to at least have a message pop up in the screen that the truck is starting to regen. My 2010 would do this and it wasn't near as fancy as these new ones!!!
Ford’s theory is they want a regen to be a completely background event. Since they often don’t run the same way twice, Ford didn’t want the customer to obsess about the differences between each event causing unnecessary dealer warranty visits. That said, I too would like a notification...

Old 06-03-2019, 09:46 AM
acadianbob
Cargo Master
Received 532 Likes on 301 Posts
Originally Posted by Karl4Cat
Ford’s theory is they want a regen to be a completely background event. Since they often don’t run the same way twice, Ford didn’t want the customer to obsess about the differences between each event causing unnecessary dealer warranty visits. That said, I too would like a notification...
Kinda the same reason we have "managed" gauges instead of real gauges . . . .

Old 06-03-2019, 10:12 AM
System
Prolocutor
Exact same reason Bob...

Old 06-03-2019, 10:46 AM
ForCal
Postmaster
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Most newer vehicles will have that metallic ticking sound coming from the exhaust after being shut down. I also noticed a smell a few times within the first few hundred miles that had me wondering if something was leaking or just burning off from being new.
I didn't think it was from regen because I thought I read on here that they dont happen until after the first 500 mi., maybe that's false. Does the regen process use the DEF? I'm at just over 900mi. now and the DEF level still says full.

Old 06-03-2019, 12:06 PM
rjbrittain11
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ForCal
Most newer vehicles will have that metallic ticking sound coming from the exhaust after being shut down. I also noticed a smell a few times within the first few hundred miles that had me wondering if something was leaking or just burning off from being new.
I didn't think it was from regen because I thought I read on here that they dont happen until after the first 500 mi., maybe that's false. Does the regen process use the DEF? I'm at just over 900mi. now and the DEF level still says full.
Yes the regen process uses DEF.

I have noticed on my DEF gauge that once i fill it up, it reads pretty much 100% full for a 1000 miles or so. Then it starts to come down and quickly at for that matter. Im at around 4000 miles since it was filled and im right around half a tank of DEF.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:05 PM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Saying the above is a pretty basic statement. It’s like saying our trucks use diesel. Lol. Just adding to your comment with a little more detail because it could be misunderstood but I think I know what you are saying.

The def system (SCR) and DPF systems are two separate systems. The more exhaust you blow, the more def fluid is used. The def fluid, specifically the ammonia, reduces the NOx and converts it to water and nitrogen. The DPF captures soot before or after the SCR system does the above process depending on what model you have. SCR is before DPF in pickup models and vice versa in the cab and chassis models. The regen process raises the exhaust gas temperatures to burn the captured remaining soot that is caught in the DPF filter. This should require a little extra def fluid to be injected into the SCR.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:12 PM
HRTKD
Boondocker
Received 6,794 Likes on 2,769 Posts
Originally Posted by rjbrittain11

I have noticed on my DEF gauge that once i fill it up, it reads pretty much 100% full for a 1000 miles or so. Then it starts to come down and quickly at for that matter. Im at around 4000 miles since it was filled and im right around half a tank of DEF.

The regen process uses diesel to cook the DPF clean. I believe there is a thread where a user detailed the process where DEF is used and is downstream from the DPF on pickup trucks.

Old 06-03-2019, 01:25 PM
TeddyD
Postmaster
I don’t trust that DPF % screen. Exactly at the 800km mark of my long road trips, the DPF % screen reads 100% full and a regen starts. That’s how the system is set from factory and works like it should.

Heres the kicker. The other day I drove into a nasty headwind and slightly uphill for the entire 800km. At exactly 800km from my regen that happened as soon as I left the city, DPF % reached 100 and regen started. The next day, having a crazy tailwind, slightly going downhill and getting way better fuel economy, at exactly 800km the DPF % hit 100 and regen started. The DPF % screen is programmed to hit a 100% every 800km no matter what the driving conditions are like. Basically what I’m trying to say is that if the DPF % was 100 on the way there at the 800km mark going into the wind, the DPF % should of, let’s say, been around the 75% mark when I hit the 800km mark on the way back but it still read 100. My assumption is the DPF % will climb to 100 no matter what at the 800km mark or climb to 100 when the filter is actually full by stop and go driving. The dpf% screen combines the mandatory 800km interval as well as the actual reading of the DPF filter.

So in conclusion, the DPF % screen is misleading. Hopefully I explained this so it makes sense to the few that will read it. lol. (800km is 500miles. Come on USA, get with the metric system lol)

Old 06-03-2019, 01:37 PM
TeddyD
Postmaster
Originally Posted by HRTKD
The regen process uses diesel to cook the DPF clean. I believe there is a thread where a user detailed the process where DEF is used and is downstream from the DPF on pickup trucks.
For clarification, I think what you are trying to say, if I’m reading it right, is a myth. No fuel goes into the DPF system.

The active regeneration process injects a small amount of fuel into the engine after the main combustion cycle, to increase the temperature in the exhaust and triggers the regeneration process.

FYI: The SCR system is pre DPF in the pickups and post DPF in the cab and chassis models.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:08 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TeddyD
I don’t trust that DPF % screen. Exactly at the 800km mark of my long road trips, the DPF % screen reads 100% full and a regen starts. That’s how the system is set from factory and works like it should.
SNIP
Regen runs every 500 miles no matter what % full the DPF is. That's about 800km for you in Canader.

You can turn off automatic regens using Forscan. Then YOU decide when to regen. Note, I rarely make it to 500 miles before hitting full.

The M in Metric is for "can't Make it to the moon" btw.

Old 06-03-2019, 02:12 PM
RenoHuskerDu
Cargo Master
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Meterman1993
I just finished a 120 mile trip with my new 2019 SD. It was mainly steady speed of 80 mph on the interstate. I had a couple stops before I got home in which I turned the truck off each time. When I arrived home I let my wife out to open the garage door since I don't have the opener yet programmed. She noticed a loud ticking or metallic sound coming from the engine also noticed a hot smell like something was burning. I got the truck parked in the garage and noticed the ticking sound went away but we still noticed the hot smell. I am assuming the truck was in regeneration? I didn't notice any warning light on the dash. Was it in regeneration or maybe something else is wrong? What are the rest of you seeing? My truck currently has just 360 miles.
I used Forscan and set my truck to no auto regen some months ago. It's been an eye-opener, to say the least. I recommend you do it too. It's free, you just need a Windows laptop and a bluetooth code reader. The Forscan page gives step by step instructions.

Every regen consumes a pelosi-load of diesel, and cuts my trip mileage by up to 2 mpg. Just an example.

Quick Reply: Diesel Regeneration