Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Double Din touch screen install??

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2019, 09:05 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Sous
As far as navigation, it does not have any map data on the device correct?

All of the map data is stored online and accessed via Google Maps or whatever app just like a smartphone?

Does it cache the map and route in the event 4G signal is lost?

Do you have TP or Forscan Lite installed on the device, if so how is the reconnecting each time? Is it pretty flawless or do you have to mess with it at times to sync them?

What about back up camera A/V inputs and if so, do you use that feature?

Anything you don't like about it?
Not the stock unit, but as mentioned you can purchase the add on device that does.

Yes. Though you can always download the latest map data onto the unit or usb stick in case you lose internet/etc.

I have TP installed and use it all the time. Though I did uninstall the factory installed TP and installed the latest one from the Playstore. It takes about 5-7 seconds to connect once the app is open. Never had any connection problems.

Camera works great too. Every blue moon it'll get stuck on the reverse cam screen, but I figured out putting it back into reverse then drive fixes that. I've probably had that happen 3-4 times out of the 1 year I have had it. Don't let that scare you away though. I also had to use heavy duty rca cable to withstand the humidity here in Houston. It was causing all sorts of problems with the basic rca. So be sure to purchase some heavy shielded rca cable.

Only thing I really dislike about it is the radio. You can't modify it to your liking. You get used to it though. Of course you can still program your basic stations and it holds up to 7 station per slot.

The fast boot is really great too. Takes 1 second to boot up after truck is turned off.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:26 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ordered a Kenwood DNX575S, Sirius, backup cam and accessories to go with it. Has nav and CDs. Yes I still have CDs. Back up cam should help launching my bass boat

Old 05-29-2019, 09:45 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,440 Likes on 2,840 Posts
Just one more question @L-ight and then I will go back to my dark corner...

If I wanted to have the backup camera on all the time, but only displayed on the screen when I felt like it, is that possible?

For example, on my Jensen I have the camera powered by the accessory 12v instead of the reverse 12v so that I can simply press a soft button on the head unit to view the camera. When I am done viewing the camera I simply press another soft button or the actual menu button in order to go to phone, navigation, radio, etc...

Old 05-29-2019, 10:01 AM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by Sous
Just one more question @L-ight and then I will go back to my dark corner...

If I wanted to have the backup camera on all the time, but only displayed on the screen when I felt like it, is that possible?

For example, on my Jensen I have the camera powered by the accessory 12v instead of the reverse 12v so that I can simply press a soft button on the head unit to view the camera. When I am done viewing the camera I simply press another soft button or the actual menu button in order to go to phone, navigation, radio, etc...
I believe you can and I don't see why it would be any different. Though doing some googling there are actually ways you can get into the ROM and modify it to make it an app that you put on your home screen. They have a forum specifically for this device. Though here is the normal wiring of the Camera.

[Camera]How to Install an aftermarket Rear/Reverse Camera to the Car? - PUMPKIN CAR STEREO SUPPORT CENTER

Old 05-29-2019, 11:41 PM
The Brad
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
@Sous the head unit should have a reverse trigger wire to tell the head unit when to show the camera feed. My Pioneer can also display the feed with a push of a button. Originally, I wired the camera into my reverse lights which was useless unless I was in reverse, so now the camera is wired into keyed power at the 7 pin trailer harness and is always on while driving. The head unit still switches when in reverse.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:51 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,440 Likes on 2,840 Posts
When I was shopping for a head unit, there were a few of them that did not have a button or soft button to switch to camera. The screen would automatically switch to camera when in reverse, but no other time and I don't know for sure the user could switch out of camera view.

I am pretty happy with my POS Jensen that was cheap, but if it dies one day, a unit like yours that links to your phone and displays maps and stuff through the head unit. Or, something like the Android Pumpkin one L-light has.

I really like having the map data available offline, but if I am being honest with myself, the times when I am out of cell signal are the times I want to be. We listened to Joe Rohan pod casts our entire 45 days out west this past winter. So, it is not a deal breaker to use Android Suto (or whatever Pioneer is calling it) or the Android head unit linked via wifi to my phone hotspot.

Old 06-02-2019, 08:04 AM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
its like the future is now !!

no head unit needed…. tablet, phone, whatever these bluetooth amps are the deal

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-PlPZcB...mplifiers.html

So this would basically work with out any type of head unit? I looked at the site and it seems that's the deal. That would the best of both if you could find or fab a peice to go where the radio used to reside so one could have extra storage.

Old 06-02-2019, 09:03 AM
JT250
Cargo Master
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by The Brad
@Sous the head unit should have a reverse trigger wire to tell the head unit when to show the camera feed. My Pioneer can also display the feed with a push of a button. Originally, I wired the camera into my reverse lights which was useless unless I was in reverse, so now the camera is wired into keyed power at the 7 pin trailer harness and is always on while driving. The head unit still switches when in reverse.
I have pioneer as well. It is capable of 2 cameras. I can select them whenever I want or the rear cam comes on when in reverse.

Old 06-28-2019, 12:07 AM
portsample
Mountain Pass

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I am thinking about upgrading my original FoMoCo radio/cassette/cdrom player to an Android box. There is a useful forum on XDA that has information on the chipsets that the Chinese models (they're all Chinese) are based on. Other information about various programming, hacking as well as rooting possibilities for these devices. Link is: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units
Great thread. Thanks for the useful information.

Old 06-28-2019, 08:36 AM
M3rc
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just as a btw, I got the metra mounting kit and my wife hated the stereo being sunk back because it made it hard to find the volume buttons, so I bought this ASC Car Stereo Radio Install Dash...
Amazon Amazon
and now it sits flush with the dash. Also comes with the harness stuff. But this is for an excursion. Don't know if there's a difference.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:00 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 575 Likes on 372 Posts
Originally Posted by portsample
I am thinking about upgrading my original FoMoCo radio/cassette/cdrom player to an Android box. There is a useful forum on XDA that has information on the chipsets that the Chinese models (they're all Chinese) are based on. Other information about various programming, hacking as well as rooting possibilities for these devices. Link is: https://forum.xda-developers.com/android-auto/android-head-units
Great thread. Thanks for the useful information.
I had the Joying unit before I sold it and installed the Pioneer. There are some pluses on the Joying, speed sensitive volume, GPS, internet, volume ****.....but the radio reception was terrible.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:25 AM
portsample
Mountain Pass

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Thanks. Three of the sources mentioned in the XDA forum are,Some of these companies provide firmware (ROM) upgrades that can be flashed.

Old 06-28-2019, 02:59 PM
L-ight
More Turbo
Originally Posted by M3rc
Just as a btw, I got the metra mounting kit and my wife hated the stereo being sunk back because it made it hard to find the volume buttons, so I bought this ASC Car Stereo Radio Install Dash... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XBH5VRB...p_mob_ap_share and now it sits flush with the dash. Also comes with the harness stuff. But this is for an excursion. Don't know if there's a difference.
Can you upload a picture please?

Old 06-28-2019, 03:02 PM
Njstern87
Tuned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
I did put an ipad in place of the radio for my truck, and moved the radio elsewhere. I want to make some more changes in the future but waiting to see what technology does before I spend a bunch more money and time. My setup runs the Ipad through a single din head unit mounted where the cubby hole in the lower dash is.

Some of the issues I have found are that the head unit I went with is an outdated design and the volume could be crisper (amp would he a solution), lack of blue tooth (at the time I didn't want to spend more to get it), paranoid about leaving the iPad in the truck full time, and lack of a good reverse camera system that automatically come on when in reverse.

The positives are that the Ipad stores all my music digitally so I don't have to mess with CDs anymore, I chose an Ipad with a cell connection so I have maps, and real time updates for traffic and weather, I can view gauges and obd info while driving, I can stream music where there is a cell service, and being able to read texts and dictate them back using siri while driving is nice.

Overall I enjoy it for long drives but runs to home depot or the dump I usually just leave Ipad at home and use the fm radio in the head unit. If I had to do it again I dont know if I would, there are other options now days that I think are more practical. Crutchfield has some interesting single din units with remote screens and even some that would extend the screen out somewhat from the dash now.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_500ILX...-ILX-F259.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_158XAV...AV-AX5000.html

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DMC...-C5500NEX.html

Old 06-28-2019, 03:17 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,320 Likes on 1,741 Posts
The Joying double din large screen units were a popular fad around here a few years ago, but I've noticed that they have been quietly been replaced by members who once had them. It seems like they were high on features, but low on quality?

Quick Reply: Double Din touch screen install??