STANdoner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here is the gap on the driver's side, it was the same in the passenger side

Old 05-22-2019, 08:29 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
That's not a bad gap. Ohm the injectors and see how they all measure out. Look for any that are 0.5 ohms or more out of range. Then start the truck with the valve covers off. Don't worry, it won't make a mess. You should see about the same amount of oil spit out of the discharge tube of each injector.

Oil discharge spout

A bad injector solendoid (brown square thing on top) will read about 0.5 ohms different than the others and will cause the IDM to shut down that bank of the engine (no oil coming from the spouts). If that's the case, unplug the one injector, clear the codes, and start the truck again. It will still have a miss and run bad, but it will be on 7 cylinders instead of 4. That means you need a new injector since they don't sell the solenoids separately. (but a junkyard might work if they have one available in your parts)

Old 05-22-2019, 09:09 PM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My .50 mod lasted about 2 years. Recently replaced the UVCH due to a large gap even when the plug was snug. Common center wasn't getting contact. New UVCH, much better!

Old 05-23-2019, 07:06 AM
Tugly
Hotshot
Received 111 Likes on 66 Posts
I have a lot of good info in my signature links. A clicking frenzy is in order.

Old 05-23-2019, 10:23 AM
STANdoner
Senior User
Originally Posted by F350-6
That's not a bad gap. Ohm the injectors and see how they all measure out. Look for any that are 0.5 ohms or more out of range. Then start the truck with the valve covers off. Don't worry, it won't make a mess. You should see about the same amount of oil spit out of the discharge tube of each injector.

Oil discharge spout

A bad injector solendoid (brown square thing on top) will read about 0.5 ohms different than the others and will cause the IDM to shut down that bank of the engine (no oil coming from the spouts). If that's the case, unplug the one injector, clear the codes, and start the truck again. It will still have a miss and run bad, but it will be on 7 cylinders instead of 4. That means you need a new injector since they don't sell the solenoids separately. (but a junkyard might work if they have one available in your parts)
Thanks Chris, how do I "Ohm the flow plugs"?

Old 05-23-2019, 10:30 AM
ZachinCO
More Turbo
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
My UVCH looked snug from the outside, but found this when I pulled it apart to examine.

Old 05-23-2019, 11:00 AM
STANdoner
Senior User
Ok I re-read the thread and tested the injectors and glow plugs and they were all in spec.
Plugs were all about .6
Injectors were all about 3.2
So I will put it all back together and see if it runs.
I will start it and run it with the valve covers off and check each injector visually.
Just cleaned all fuel systems and changed oil and filter.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:05 PM
STANdoner
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZachinCO
My UVCH looked snug from the outside, but found this when I pulled it apart to examine.

Wow!! I just took mine apart and they both luckily look good.

Old 05-23-2019, 12:17 PM
STANdoner
Senior User
Update
The passenger side injectors are not working. No oil is flowing and the exhaust fanifold is cold.
The driver's side is working perfectly.
Could there be a short in the harness?

Old 05-23-2019, 12:47 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 140 Likes on 100 Posts
In the harness or just a bad IDM.

Old 05-23-2019, 05:43 PM
STANdoner
Senior User
OK so after another day of working on the motor I have this to report and hope someone has some more ideas.
I passenger side injectors are not mechanically working. I managed to find a scanner tool with a buzz tester and the even side sounded strong and the odd side sounded much more quiet. Also as I said above the exhaust manifold on the passanger side is cold.
I have checked the electrical connections for injectors and glow plugs and they are all within spec. (Ohm test as well as AC voltage at the main valve cover harness plug. I did not test each injector plug as I did a continuity test on all of these wires)
The truck has new oil, filters and clean fuel.
I checked all related relays and fuses in the fuse box under the hood and they are all good.
I have a new OEM IPR installed and tested the ICP for positive voltage.
Codes-
P1293
P1316
P0603 (this one came on and then when codes were cleared it did not come back)
P1000

Questions-
What about the IDM? Is there a way to test and see if it is bad? I have read that it is possible to have a failure in the IDM that will take out only one bank, has anyone seen this?

Old 05-23-2019, 07:31 PM
AllaboutMPG
Logistics Pro
Received 109 Likes on 69 Posts
Since your in a place where parts my be hard to come by and both valve covers are off you could try swapping the valve cover gaskets and uvch's to eliminate a bad one.

Old 05-23-2019, 07:37 PM
STANdoner
Senior User
Originally Posted by AllaboutMPG
Since your in a place where parts my be hard to come by and both valve covers are off you could try swapping the valve cover gaskets and uvch's to eliminate a bad one.
I did a continuity test on all the wires in each harness, but that would be definitive for sure.

Old 05-23-2019, 08:51 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
You can back up to the 42 pin connector and do the ohm test on the injectors again from there to see if you find a problem in the wiring. It's a known issue to have wires chaff behind or below the 42 pin connector.

If you've still got the scanner, you can also unplug one injector at a time, clear the codes, then start the truck and see if the other 3 start working. But as mentioned, it could also be a bad IDM.

You've at least found your problem. The IDM is not commanding that half of the injectors to fire. So that means you've got an electrical issue causing the bank to be shut down. IDM, wiring, wiring connector, injector soleniod. At least the list is short.

Old 05-23-2019, 09:39 PM
pilgrimbizket
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
If all ucvh are not burnt and are ohming out fine I would suspect the IDM as when mine went it through a p1316

Quick Reply: P1316 and super rough idle, no power