1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! trans/TC issues?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2019, 10:36 AM
shanekw1
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help! trans/TC issues?

Hey guys, I have a serious issue with my truck atm and any help I can get would be greatly appreciated.

Starting a week ago or so, my truck started acting up in odd ways, it would shudder and almost die when I came to a stop as well as hard/erratic seeming shifts. It also felt severely underpowered from a stop as if it were missing on multiple cylinders or was starting out in high gear (happened in both D and R) and when backing up it felt like it was jerking/crunching where it would go a couple feet ok then crap out then go again. My schedule right now is extremely busy with only about 1/2 hr at home in the evenings so I continued driving it thinking I would get to it on the weekend (bad shane, I know, but...life). In the process of driving I found that it seemed to work better if I manually shifted through the gears but it would still shift fairly hard sometimes and there seemed to be a small squeak/squeal as it shifted from 2-3. It eventually threw a code p0757? shift solenoid b and the tow/haul light started blinking. Fast forward to a couple days ago and I pulled out of work, still manually shifting through the gears and as soon as I shifted from first to second the truck died on the highway and now it wont turn over. The starter hits but nothing turns. I removed my serp belt and tried turning the engine by hand with a breaker bar on the crank bolt and it is seized solid. WTH did I do to my truck? Is it possibly the TC cooked? In my mind I don't think the trans could keep the engine from turning over and the engine is supposedly new with 30000 km on it.

Please help, my wife is not super happy about driving her parents borrowed camper van to and from work lol.

Old 05-17-2019, 11:02 AM
shanekw1
Junior User
A couple things I forgot to add, Trans temp never went up past normal, and when sitting in park the truck didnt want to rev much over 3000 rpm, not sure if that means anything but I never really tried it before (actually I did, after I did my timing chain guides and the truck was running like garbage, but it turned out that these trucks do not like running with the air filter unit removed).

Old 05-18-2019, 09:12 AM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
Received 109 Likes on 96 Posts
It is possible that the front pump on the transmission has locked up and won't allow engine to turn over. If the torque convert threw some shrapnel some of that debris could have possibly got into the pump gears and locked it up. The first step is to pull the transmission. You won't be able to remove the torque converter bolts with transmission installed due to the locked up situation but it will slide out with the converter left on flexplate.. Whatever happens you are going to have to pull transmission anyway whether it's the engine gone bad or the transmission. If it's transmission related then you don't have to pull cab. If it's engine related then the cab should come off to make repairs.

Old 05-20-2019, 03:18 PM
shanekw1
Junior User
Thanks, tis what I figured, tranny has to come out. How horrific of a job is it to do in my driveway?

Old 05-20-2019, 03:42 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
The biggest issue is to get to the torque converter nuts. If the pump is locked up then you won't be able to get to them. You will have to pull transmission out with torque converter still bolted to flexplate. Then you can get to the tc nuts.

Old 05-26-2019, 06:43 PM
shanekw1
Junior User
Still haven't had a chance to tear into this. Any other words of wisdom or ideas on what I did to my truck?

Old 05-26-2019, 06:57 PM
Fefanatic
Fleet Mechanic
There's no telling what happened until you get into it and find what caused the issue. It's going to be quite a bit of work to get it out without the converter but it can be done. Rent or borrow a transmission jack. Those things are heavy and can put a world of hurt on you if not careful. G'luck and please post what you find.