Sponsored by:

Pro Comp install

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 07:21 PM
bluovl
Laughing Gas
Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by pirate4x4_camo
ya know, cause I am a rebel like that and exceeding the ST trailer tire speed rating by 5 mph is always an ecellent idea
Only in Cali

Old 05-20-2019, 09:12 PM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
Received 325 Likes on 246 Posts
Originally Posted by bluovl
Only in Cali

find me a ST or Standard Trailer tire that has a higher speed rating, its not a Cali Thing it is a FVMSS thing, trailer tire are only speed rated for 65mph no matter what state you buy them, its a federal thing

the Cali thing is a 55MPH speed limit while towing…

Old 05-20-2019, 09:48 PM
bluovl
Laughing Gas
Talking

find me a ST or Standard Trailer tire that has a higher speed rating, its not a Cali Thing it is a FVMSS thing, trailer tire are only speed rated for 65mph no matter what state you buy them, its a federal thing

Well now what say you Mr. Pirate to this:
"However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load".

Old 05-20-2019, 10:26 PM
Tmpst
Cackle club chauffeur
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Pirate, much appreciated! My mind is sufficiently blown

Old 05-21-2019, 08:32 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
uhhh thanks for finding me my next trailer tire ? lmao

but seriously. back when we used to run Goodyears on on our trailers until they started showing up with the made in China labels… . havent looked at them since, Are they still made in China ?

Old 05-21-2019, 08:49 AM
pirate4x4_camo
Lead Driver
so back to a tounge weight rating….

laying in bed last night it dawned on me. the springs dont care what the factory rake is and neither do the headlights.

all that really matters is Ford determined that with the correct initial aiming of the headlights they would still be in compliance with 1.34". of droop.

So even though you are starting from level, as long as your lights are aimed just below the vertical plane on the target they would still be in compliance with 1.34" of droop.

760 x 1.34 = 1018 is you new Tounge weight rating without air bags.

of course you will now be *** low 1.34" and how your personal vehicle handleing is going to depend on your alignment settings and tire sizes.
( in other words, take that with a grain of salt….. you are opoerating a modified vehile so take responibility and do so accordingly )

Old 05-21-2019, 09:05 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts

I think I posted the tires I got in the camper thread when I got them, and I don't think these are the exact tires, but this is essentially what I have:

https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...M2157514D.html

81mph rating, but I can't do the math to see what the tire speed is on the trailer vs the speed to the tow vehicle. I'd imagine that at 65mph, the trailer tire is actually traveling faster. In any case, most trailer tires are made in China these days. These are, but I've put a TON of miles on them (for me) and they are by far the best trailer tire I've ever owned. My boat trailer ate Goodyears like a kid in a candy store (seemed like), and I haven't put these on yet, but next set will be for sure. I also always try to run a load range higher than necessary. I'm also not shy about running the boat 75mph on the highway and I've been known to run the camper that fast in certain situations. Not often though. Cruising at 70 is not uncommon.

Old 05-22-2019, 08:27 PM
jamlam1
5th Wheeling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by EXSwap
I think I posted the tires I got in the camper thread when I got them, and I don't think these are the exact tires, but this is essentially what I have:

81mph rating, but I can't do the math to see what the tire speed is on the trailer vs the speed to the tow vehicle. I'd imagine that at 65mph, the trailer tire is actually traveling faster. In any case, most trailer tires are made in China these days. These are, but I've put a TON of miles on them (for me) and they are by far the best trailer tire I've ever owned. My boat trailer ate Goodyears like a kid in a candy store (seemed like), and I haven't put these on yet, but next set will be for sure. I also always try to run a load range higher than necessary. I'm also not shy about running the boat 75mph on the highway and I've been known to run the camper that fast in certain situations. Not often though. Cruising at 70 is not uncommon.
My Cargomax tires are also rated above 65mph as well (75mph on the sidewall) . Your thoughts on the tire speed reminded me of this for some reason.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:05 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
Originally Posted by EXSwap

Swap, if your trailer is ever traveling faster than the tow vehicle, you have a much larger issue than the ST tire speed rating. And hopefully someone gets the wreck on video.

I understand where your mind took you on this, the smaller trailer tires are spinning at a higher RPM than the taller truck tires, but the actual traveling road speed will hopefully always be the same between the two.

Old 05-24-2019, 06:49 AM
WE3ZS
World Famous Mod
Received 834 Likes on 573 Posts
ya know, cause I am a rebel like that and exceeding the ST trailer tire speed rating by 5 mph is always an ecellent idea
70 MPH seems to be a pretty efficient speed for towing in my EX through these Eastern mountain highways, the higher speed at the base of a grade allows me to hold OD for many climbs or at least for most of the climb by letting a little speed bleed off and holding at about 58/60% throttle opening. On the flats 63/65 MPH seems to be the sweet spot for MPGs. And 2 finger steering at speed even around the big rigs is the norm.

Only in Cali
I've never towed in Cali, but I think they limit all towing to 55 MPH. I'm sure most folks don't conform to that law though.....

The latest crop of ST tires is improving over what had happened to them over the past 20 or so years with nearly all production moving over to China. Many, if not most ST tires from China are still garbage but there are better ones coming from there. I upgraded to the Sailun S637T tires on my TT, they are made in an ISO compliant factory in China and are seriously heavy duty all steel tires that have earned a very good reputation in the RV world. These are basically commercial truck steer axle tires rebranded as STs with a 75 MPH speed rating. Sailun Commercial Truck Tires: S637T HD ST Trailer
Maxxis, which are made in Taiwan (or Korea?) are also very good STs with a higher speed rating as well as the new-ish Goodyear Endurance St tires that are made in the USA. So far the new Endurance tires seem to be performing very well from all that I have read.

"However Goodyear Marathon and Power King Towmax STR tires featuring the ST size designation may be used at speeds between 66 and 75 mph (106 and 121 km/h) by increasing their cold inflation pressure by 10 psi (69 kPa) above the recommended pressure for the rated maximum load".
In my humble opinion Power King Towmax St tires are an excellent choice for a TT that gets parked at permanent campsite and never travels. Pretty much the same with the marathons.

uhhh thanks for finding me my next trailer tire ? lmao

but seriously. back when we used to run Goodyears on on our trailers until they started showing up with the made in China labels… . havent looked at them since, Are they still made in China ?
When the Goodyear Marathon ST tire production moved offshore the tire quality went down the drain. That generation of Marathons were horrible and GY spent a lot of money replacing failed tires and paying out for the trailer damage they caused. The new USA made GY Endurance ST tires are a completely different and better tire that is performing very well and helping to reestablish GY as trusted brand for trailer tires. Jayco, who builds a wide range of TT/THs has been using the new Endurance ST tires exclusively on all their trailers for the past two years and plans to continue using them.

Old 05-24-2019, 07:26 AM
EXSwap
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 121 Posts
Originally Posted by WE3ZS
Swap, if your trailer is ever traveling faster than the tow vehicle, you have a much larger issue than the ST tire speed rating. And hopefully someone gets the wreck on video.

I understand where your mind took you on this, the smaller trailer tires are spinning at a higher RPM than the taller truck tires, but the actual traveling road speed will hopefully always be the same between the two.

Yeah, RPM is the word I was looking for...And hopefully I never have a trailer going faster than me!! I'm sure the kids will get the video from the inside of the vehicle if it ever happens, will that count?

Old 05-24-2019, 06:50 PM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do the leaf springs come with the bushings installed?

Old 05-24-2019, 07:13 PM
bluovl
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by agsmv1
Do the leaf springs come with the bushings installed?
Yes the Pro Comp 22210 and 22415 springs come with the bushings installed. I got the 22210 springs from 4Wheel Parts direct, and the 22415 springs from 4Wheel Online through Amazon.

Old 05-25-2019, 10:23 AM
Tmpst
Cackle club chauffeur
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Yes the Pro Comp 22210 and 22415 springs come with the bushings installed. I got the 22210 springs from 4Wheel Parts direct, and the 22415 springs from 4Wheel Online through Amazon.
That’s odd, just ordered mine, and it said they did not. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 05-25-2019, 10:38 AM
agsmv1
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Tmpst
That’s odd, just ordered mine, and it said they did not. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Down at the bottom it says they do..holy confusion!! 4wheel parts says they do not as well...

Product description

Diamond cut multi-leaf springs with urethane bushings provide additional clearance and improved ride quality // Rear Leaf Springs; 4 in. Lift; Sold As A Pair

Quick Reply: Pro Comp install