Notices
1968-2013 Full Size Vans Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

5.4 - 4.6 differences ?

Old 05-11-2019, 07:44 PM
NICKSAN
Senior User
NICKSAN is starting off with a positive reputation.
5.4 - 4.6 differences ?

For some reason I am seeing alot of used 4.6 E series for sale and the only difference I have found is less

power than the 5.4. Ive read that they both get about the same fuel mileage.

Would a 4.6 make a decent RV conversion van? with not much weight and no towing involved ?

and do I have to worry about the dreaded spark plugs, breaking/blowing out? Or is that not this engine that

does that?

Thanks.

Old 05-11-2019, 08:20 PM
jbwheels
Senior User
jbwheels is starting off with a positive reputation.
I've driven a 4.6 van with 10 people in it. It was gutless.

On the other hand, I've and a Crown Vic and a Town Car with the 4.6. Both were EXTREMELY overheated due to the stupid plastic intake. Both run on in defiance with no signs of distress (after fixing the intakes of course).

I think Tritons are fantastic engines regardless of size.

Old 05-11-2019, 10:46 PM
00t444e
Posting Guru
00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.00t444e is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I have driven quite a few service vans with the 4.6 and they were all slow and gutless, and got about 11-12 mpg, I had a couple of them blow spark plugs out as well. A 5.4 would be a better choice, more power, about the same mpg, and I have yet to see one spit a spark plug out.

Old 05-12-2019, 10:19 AM
Conanski
Post Fiend
Conanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant futureConanski has a brilliant future
People say the 4.6 is gutless(it is... it makes no usable power below 2000rpm) but I have read the same comments about the 5.4, both motors do need to be revved more than a big block V8 or diesel to produce aggressive acceleration but even the 4.6 makes a fair bit more peak HP than the old 5.8 so you would be pleasantly surprised at how well the vehicle accelerates when you let it eat. With 4.10 gears my Van gets around quite effortlessly in city traffic without the need to be floored everywhere and it returns 15-16mpg US on average. I think it is a mistake to pair these motors with numerically lower gears in a heavy vehicle.
Ford successfully redesigned the plugs and heads somewhere around '05-06 to address the broken plug and blowout problems, I had no problems doing all the plugs in my '06, nothing stripped or broke and the plugs definitely used more than a couple threads.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:06 PM
NICKSAN
Senior User
NICKSAN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Power is not really my thing as long as it moves, I drive like an old man anyway, LOL.
Thanks for the replies.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.