1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Can I increase to a larger than 4lb Radiator cap?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:51 AM
pintoplumber
Fleet Mechanic
Received 556 Likes on 267 Posts
Boy, don’t parts look nice when they come back from the machine shop. Dennis

Old 05-16-2019, 08:34 AM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,656 Likes on 1,476 Posts
Good for you!

If he doesn't like Felpro gaskets what does he sell?

Can you show us a picture of the intake water bypass hose nipple you bought.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:25 AM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
Mummert plays guitar? What kind?

Old 05-16-2019, 11:44 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 613 Likes on 380 Posts
Did you get hardened valve seats, or did it already have them?

Old 05-16-2019, 04:49 PM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 555 Likes on 359 Posts
A dream come true! You met John “Mr Y Block” and got your heads spiffed up too! You’ll probably have to throttle Ethyl back now with the extra compression you’ll get from the graphite head gaskets and the mill work done on your heads.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:45 PM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
Received 67 Likes on 32 Posts

The new billet aluminum(black color) bypass hose nipple is attached to the back of the water pump
Abe he sold me a FULL ENGINE set....lots of parts I wont need are included in it....the brand is "BEST" Gaskets(made in the USA!!)...the set contains the .real graphite gasket he suggests...The nipple I bought is a black color billet aluminum piece, it looks Identical to the original except its isnt iron...it goes on the back of the water pump housing. It and the nipple on the thermostat housing are connected by a short 1 1/2" bypass hose on this engine that has a high mount water pump...

Old 05-17-2019, 10:51 PM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
Mr Y block aka John Mummert, plays electric and some acoustic guitar....I only know that because he told me he hasnt been for years and then the other day he popped onto a Snapon truck...He bought some cable cutters---end cut cable cutters....to trim up his guitar strings....I asked him his skill level...he said he's a beginner-to moderate...he got started only a couple of years ago....he had good late 60's middle 70's rock n roll pumping in his shop....he's a cool cat.

Old 05-17-2019, 10:57 PM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
Ross, Hardened seats were already in these heads....someone had been in there already....Im sure the head gasket failed due to incorrect length of head bolts....All the head bolts under the valve cover area were all the same length....there are 2 located at the two holes that have the alignment dowel rings that are supposed to be a 1/4" longer...like the set Mr Mummert sold me....

Old 05-17-2019, 11:17 PM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
Yup..New parts/new clean set up/a new relationship formed with Mr Mummert....he really laughed at my "Eye problem" statement...I told him I have an eye problem sometimes in the last couple of years...Where I "CANT SEE GOING TO WORK"....I should have Ethyl running tomorrow. Wifey's computer had a problem the last two days and a new to us computer guy came to our home office(her office) to sort it out.If not for that, I would have stayed across town in the building where Ethyl is and pulled a "until I cant go any further" routine. Now that Ive been home, I dont want to go back to it until tomorrow...I will do a coolant flush with the Oxalic acid...I bought it at Rockler's here in Kearny Mesa...I spent a good hour and a half removing what was left of the thermostat housings bypass hose nipple and pressing in a new piece of 5/8" copper pipe today...now both ends of that little bypass hose are new.....the valve rockers etc are installed. I broke a bolt that holds the rocker arms to the head....I removed the rocker arm and the broken piece of the bolt was easily accessed...it broke as a jagged pointy thing allowing a needle nose vise grip to grab it an unthread it..I then went back and replaced all of the rocker arm to head bolts with brand new ones....those 5/16x18x1/1/2" bolts are only torqued to 15 ft lbs and one broke!!! I wasnt taking a chance....that was a warning...who knows who else had touched and maybe stretched them...on further inspection several of them were damaged....Ill install the intake etc tomorrow...Im waiting for silicone heater hose to still arrive....a piece of it will be used for that bypass hose...the rest will be used to plumb in a coolant filter and connect up the heater. Everything is clean and painted....Ive received the Evan's Waterless coolant and its prep fluids, I will fill the truck up initially with typical coolant until I am confidant that I wont have to drain the coolant or lose it....

Old 05-17-2019, 11:43 PM
Tedster9
Post Fiend
Received 69 Likes on 68 Posts
Cool beans. Maybe you know this already, did the folks who rebuilt the heads explain there is a break-in procedure for fresh new valve springs? It's true.

It is important for new valve springs to take a heat-set. Never abuse or run the engine at high rpm when the valve springs are cold. Upon initial start-up, limit rpm to 1500-2000 until the temperature has reached operating levels. Shut off the engine and allow the springs to cool to room temperature. This process will help eliminate premature failure and prolong valve spring life.

Valve Spring FAQ

Old 05-18-2019, 03:16 PM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKET QUESTION

The New Intake manifold gasket is different to the one that came off. These replacement gaskets are from BEST GASKETS Company. The new gaskets have this "RESTRICTION PLATE THIN METAL PLATE" thing in the middle on ONE SIDE OF THE GASKET and TYPICAL MATERIAL ON THE OTHER SIDE...Qusetion 1: DOES THE SIDE WITH THE STEEL PLATE TOUCH THE HEAD PORT or DOES THIS STEEL PLATE TOUCH THE INTAKE PORT? QUESTION 2: WHY DOES IT HAVE THIS RESTRICTOR PLATE? there is no marks or other indication anywhere on the package or on the gaskets for how to position them. If I had to guess I would think the steel goes down with the steel making contact with the port on the head....but???? John Mummert phone allows a voice mail...no other info found on the web etc...

Old 05-18-2019, 04:41 PM
Mixer man
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I'll speculate it's to prevent high velocity coolant under the carburetor. In the cases I've seen (not this engine) the restrictor was only on one side, and it was there to help prevent icing. Mr. Mummert knows for sure, but I vote for metal down against the head too.

Old 05-18-2019, 07:56 PM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
The Intake gaskets only look the same.

Ok I called out the help squad and that wasnt necessary...after purchasing ANOTHER set of intake gaskets without the restricter plate and laying them on the heads upside down did I see that these intake gaskets only fit one way..I still dont know if the shinny side went down or up for the 1st set with the thin restrictor plate.

Old 05-19-2019, 10:44 AM
HT32BSX115
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 50 Posts
That restrictor "plate" is used to "restrict" exhaust gases going from the head into the intake manifold. When cold, the "butterfly" in the exhaust crossover would be closed pushing more exhaust gases through the manifold. I had one on my 57 Fairlane 500 292. When I put dual exhaust on it I removed the(completely rusted) butterfly.

The exhaust gases flowing through the intake manifold makes the heat activated choke warm up faster and and then open, but when the engine is hot in the summer time, extra heat in the manifold can cause boiling gasoline in the carburetor.

Exhaust gases going in help warm up the engine by heating the intake manifold. Some people have blocked it completely off and if you look at Mummerts aluminum manifold for example, there is NO exhaust path into the intake manifold. Modern carburetors don't use heat activated chokes.

Y-Blocks Forever has a thread on it Blocking off heat to intake manifold

I suppose it might be good if you're starting in Fairbanks in February. I am going to block mine off completely since I have an electric choke

You can probably put it on either side of the gasket. It's unlikely it will make a difference. If I lived in the land of the endless Summer, I would probably either use a manual choke or disconnect it altogether.

Old 05-19-2019, 12:58 PM
mytoolman
Laughing Gas
The Intake gaskets only look the same.

Thank you for the informative reply...I couldnt find a machine shop open here in San Diego that knew anything about this on Saturday afternoon. I want to have this truck running today.(Sunday). Next step was to just go get new intake gaskets that I was familiar with and install them. My truck runs FINE the way it was...even using a gallon of coolant in say 120 miles....it still ran/starts fine (dead cold---you know like as cold as maybe 40 degrees here in San Diego---it starts without pulling the manual choke at all....starts on a little more than half a turn of the starter----"no brag just facts"....so the original style intake manifold gasket allowed me to get moving without my normal frozen until I find the answer thing...I was only frozen and not installing parts for maybe 3 hours while I searched and asked....I have the driverside exhaust manifold, the carburetor, the coil and spark plugs and to change out the oil and add coolant..and of course do a valve adjustment.... So its very likely that the engine can start tonight...I want to take the advice of easing in the new valve springs and have had to order "COMPS Valve & Cam#106 from Summit Racing....I couldnt find anyone who sells it here....Maybe Mr Mummert has it...but he is 45 minutes away each way...and he DOES NOT ANSWER HIS PHONE so as much as I want to kibbits with him again...that will have to wait until Im actually driving Ethyl and go on see him in her when I see my El Cajon customers then it will only be a 10 minute detour of my usual route....my wife absolutely had cabin fever since she has been stuck home with our new addition of 9 days now---Ziggy the puppy....he's an 11 week old terrior/poddle/??? mutt that she had to have after seeing him just a few minutes after being born at a friends house who fosters dogs for a rescue organization....somehow its my fault (of course) that she has cabin fever...being stuck home watching and training him...so she will be home before 1pm today then I will go finish up Ethyl. Im really happy about Ziggy---wifey has been very sad since the passing of our 7lb Chihuahua Rocky in December.I miss him too---so do my customers...Rocky often rode with me in Ethyl and before Ethyl in my Freightliner..He walked off leash into many San Diego auto repair shops...lots of my customers loved to see him...this dog will be a little more challenging he probably will be under 20 lbs and that blonde fur might be an issue with the repair shop thing.....I want to flush the cooling system with Oxalic Acid so this will require a fast idle etc so I want to do the valve spring ease in first...Realistically...Tuesday will be my first run to see customers.....

Quick Reply: Can I increase to a larger than 4lb Radiator cap?