6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Turbo Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 03:54 PM
tony-mac
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Turbo Replacement?

Hi guys,

New here. I've been reading a lot the past couple of days. But now I'm looking to get some specific advice. So I used to have a 2003 F250 Lariat, CC, SB, 6.0 Power Stroke, and I've missed it, so I'm looking at a 2011 F250 Lariat, CC, SB, 6.7 Power Stroke. It's a little higher miles, 193k, and after test driving it, and parking uphill, I noticed an oil leak appeared on the ground. Decent puddle. Drove it and parked it a couple other places (level ground) and it was just 3-5 drops.
So I brought it up to the dealership, and pointed it out to them. They took it to a local shop in the area with a good diesel mechanic, and they've determined it's leaking through the turbo, and they've ordered a new turbo to be put on.

I'm just looking to get everyone's thoughts on here, and anything I need to check or look out for with this repair to make sure it was done right, and doesn't have a crappy cheap turbo put on, or something else?

The mechanic hopes to have the repair finished by Friday afternoon, if not, it will be on Monday, and the Dealer want me to take it home for a night, or two and drive it to make sure everything is good before I purchase. So I don't feel anything shady is going on, I just want to make sure I'm covering all the bases.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to being back in the Ford Truck club, either with this one, or another one.

Old 05-09-2019, 04:50 PM
UGA33
Lead Driver

Received 128 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by tony-mac
Hi guys,

New here. I've been reading a lot the past couple of days. But now I'm looking to get some specific advice. So I used to have a 2003 F250 Lariat, CC, SB, 6.0 Power Stroke, and I've missed it, so I'm looking at a 2011 F250 Lariat, CC, SB, 6.7 Power Stroke. It's a little higher miles, 193k, and after test driving it, and parking uphill, I noticed an oil leak appeared on the ground. Decent puddle. Drove it and parked it a couple other places (level ground) and it was just 3-5 drops.
So I brought it up to the dealership, and pointed it out to them. They took it to a local shop in the area with a good diesel mechanic, and they've determined it's leaking through the turbo, and they've ordered a new turbo to be put on.

I'm just looking to get everyone's thoughts on here, and anything I need to check or look out for with this repair to make sure it was done right, and doesn't have a crappy cheap turbo put on, or something else?

The mechanic hopes to have the repair finished by Friday afternoon, if not, it will be on Monday, and the Dealer want me to take it home for a night, or two and drive it to make sure everything is good before I purchase. So I don't feel anything shady is going on, I just want to make sure I'm covering all the bases.

Thanks everyone, looking forward to being back in the Ford Truck club, either with this one, or another one.
Biggest thing about a turbo swap on a 6.7 is to make sure the oil gets changed. Coolant gets into the crankcase requiring an oil change.

Old 05-09-2019, 07:06 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Are we sure it is not the coolant line going to/from the turbo?

Old 05-09-2019, 07:41 PM
suzuki0702
Elder User
Sounds like a stand up dealer to me

Old 05-09-2019, 10:12 PM
tony-mac
New User
Originally Posted by UGA33
Biggest thing about a turbo swap on a 6.7 is to make sure the oil gets changed. Coolant gets into the crankcase requiring an oil change.
Good to know! Thank you, I wasn't aware of that. Pretty new to the diesel world, only have a little experience with the 6.0. Everything else has been gas burners.

Originally Posted by senix
Are we sure it is not the coolant line going to/from the turbo?
I'm unsure, just going off of what my salesman told me, which he only knows what he was told from the mechanic at the shop they took it to. I'm going to see about speaking with the mechanic tomorrow if they get it finished up, so I know exactly what they found, and what they changed.
That being said, are you referring to engine coolant? Because the fluid on the ground looked and felt like oil to me. It was darker, ready to be changed, not fresh oil.

Originally Posted by suzuki0702
Sounds like a stand up dealer to me
Yes! I've been pleasantly surprised with my experience with them so far. Let's hope they continue to deliver!

Old 05-10-2019, 05:13 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,417 Likes on 1,012 Posts
Just ask if they found any coolant in the valley of the motor. There is a coolant line that runs there that was known to leak on the some of the early models, which you have. Not a hard task or expensive to replace, just happens. So it should be checked as well.

Old 05-10-2019, 06:48 AM
djousma
Cargo Master
Received 908 Likes on 328 Posts
So, what is the build date of this truck? It has the month/year on the VIN sticker in the door jamb. I ask because 2011's built prior to 3/11 have had some problems with Exhaust valves coming apart, requiring a short block to repair(engine rebuild). It's not a wide-spread problem, but there have been several guys on this forum that reported this problem. 3/11 and later build dates have a revised head/valves and no more reports of this problem.

Chances are with 193K on the clock it would have let go already if it were going to, but just want you to be aware.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:12 AM
tony-mac
New User
Just ask if they found any coolant in the valley of the motor. There is a coolant line that runs there that was known to leak on the some of the early models, which you have. Not a hard task or expensive to replace, just happens. So it should be checked as well.
Thanks Senix, I'll find out!

Originally Posted by djousma
So, what is the build date of this truck? It has the month/year on the VIN sticker in the door jamb. I ask because 2011's built prior to 3/11 have had some problems with Exhaust valves coming apart, requiring a short block to repair(engine rebuild). It's not a wide-spread problem, but there have been several guys on this forum that reported this problem. 3/11 and later build dates have a revised head/valves and no more reports of this problem.

Chances are with 193K on the clock it would have let go already if it were going to, but just want you to be aware.
Unfortunately I didn't look at the build date yet. I'll check that when I see the truck next. Good to know on the date, I had heard some of the earlier ones had some issues, but wasn't sure what dates those would be, thank you!

Old 05-10-2019, 09:22 PM
tony-mac
New User
Well, shop didnt get done with the truck. Not sure what the status is, didnt get a chance to talk with them before they closed. Hopefully its finished Monday

Old 05-11-2019, 11:28 AM
slorider
Senior User
Just to add, there is also an oil line on the opposite side of the turbo. If their a good shop both lines and fittings will be replaced with the turbo, otherwise you will have an oil/coolant leak in the near future.

Originally Posted by djousma
So, what is the build date of this truck? It has the month/year on the VIN sticker in the door jamb. I ask because 2011's built prior to 3/11 have had some problems with Exhaust valves coming apart, requiring a short block to repair(engine rebuild). It's not a wide-spread problem, but there have been several guys on this forum that reported this problem.
As I recall the valve issues were only the cab & chassis model?

Old 05-12-2019, 09:51 AM
Chuck-B
6.7 Weight Loss
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Sounds like a great dealer, good to hear. Too many times we see posts where folks are getting shafted. Also good news on the turbo replacement, the turbos on the 11 - 15's have ceramic bearings that would let go. If they are still in there you might consider having the HPFP / CP4 Fuel Pump replaced. Going to cost you over a grand for the pump, it would be a shame to have the thing ripped apart, a new turbo installed and then have the CP4 pump let go. Do a search on "CP4" and you'll find a bunch of information on the failure.

As far as black oil / looking like it needs to be changed. The EGR system turns the oil pitch black almost as soon as it's changed.

How about some pictures of the truck?

Old 05-13-2019, 11:48 AM
tony-mac
New User
Hey UGA,

The shop just finished with the truck, going to check it out this afternoon. I asked about the oil change, and they said they didn't change it. I tried to look up some documentation on it myself, but I can't seem to find anything. Do you have any links or information showing that? Thanks!

Old 05-13-2019, 11:57 AM
tony-mac
New User
Originally Posted by slorider
Just to add, there is also an oil line on the opposite side of the turbo. If their a good shop both lines and fittings will be replaced with the turbo, otherwise you will have an oil/coolant leak in the near future.

As I recall the valve issues were only the cab & chassis model?
Unfortunately they just replaced the fittings, not the lines. I guess I'll have to keep an eye on it. hopefully no issues too soon.

Originally Posted by Chuck-B
Sounds like a great dealer, good to hear. Too many times we see posts where folks are getting shafted. Also good news on the turbo replacement, the turbos on the 11 - 15's have ceramic bearings that would let go. If they are still in there you might consider having the HPFP / CP4 Fuel Pump replaced. Going to cost you over a grand for the pump, it would be a shame to have the thing ripped apart, a new turbo installed and then have the CP4 pump let go. Do a search on "CP4" and you'll find a bunch of information on the failure.

As far as black oil / looking like it needs to be changed. The EGR system turns the oil pitch black almost as soon as it's changed.

How about some pictures of the truck?
Thanks Chuck, unfortunately, I wasn't able to get anything else replaced. How frequent is the failure of the CP4 pump? That doesn't sound fun.

Good to know on the EGR system and the oil. I wasn't familiar with that.

I'll see about posting some pics after I pick it up this afternoon. I've got one as my profile picture now.

Thank you everyone for the helpful information!

Old 05-13-2019, 01:42 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,376 Likes on 4,634 Posts
Chuck, MY 2015 is the year that came with bigger turbo and steel bearings.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:44 PM
bobcat67
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Supposedly after 2012 the trucks were supposed to have steel bearings instead of ceramic, even with the SST turbo

Quick Reply: Turbo Replacement?