1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Zombie7.3's 12 Year No-Start Resto-Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 01:41 PM
farmert
Logistics Pro
Received 531 Likes on 256 Posts
Originally Posted by zombie7.3
Gotcha. Thanks for responding with an actual answer instead of just brushing me off as a pretentious noob, lol. I can definitely see those plastic nuts being an issue. I'm gonna stick with stock until I can figure out if she'll start and if I want to keep her. The SB box filter looks like a really good aftermarket alternative, which I'll eventually move to.

For now, I've ordered a Purolator air filter and a Motorcraft oil filter. Today I'm going to siphon out the old fuel and replace the fuel filter (black as sin right now). I'll also repair the brake booster line and give the passenger's cylinders a second blast of fogging oil. By Friday we should be able to shoot a 12-year cold start video!
You say that the fuel filter is "black as sin". Is the filter seem oily also? Black/oily fuel filter is usually a sign of roached injector o-rings. If you replace them use the original Alliant O-rings, they will be cheaper in the long run.

Old 05-13-2019, 01:57 PM
zombie7.3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure, but I'll check. When I drained the bowl there was plenty of sediment, but some of that could have been washed out of whatever piping/surfaces the fuel flowed over to get out of the bowl. Oil level was perfectly full when I got the truck, and very thick, so hopefully that's some indication that oil and fuel haven't been mixing too much.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:11 PM
BBslider001
Hotshot
Received 376 Likes on 268 Posts
I'm new here, so I don't want to make any waves, but why would this be non-filtering? Ford engineers haven't gotten it figured out over the past century? I get the orange boot tearing (mine is in excellent shape), but like, an air filter? My intake piping was damn clean for 350k miles, I see no reason to switch to an aftermarket hot-air intake filter setup.
You aren't making waves. Asking questions is good. FYI, they are all "hot air intakes" really. Do your thing. I won't even comment on Ford engineers. We fix so much if their "engineering", but if you have faith in them, more power to you. Enjoy the build.

Old 05-13-2019, 09:34 PM
zombie7.3
Junior User

Temporary valve covers. Bolts thread right through it and hold it in place quite well.

Brake booster vacuum line replaced and weird *** white tube removed.

Old fuel looking pretty good for being 12 years old.

Got somewhere between 15 and 17 gallons out, depending on the actual size of these 5 gallon buckets.

Old fuel filter looking heinous.

Mileage evidently a bit higher than I thought.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,196 Likes on 975 Posts
Thumbs up

I looked into doing a compression test. I have a tester, but it doesn't read high enough for diesels and an adapter to reach down to the glow plug holes is like $80 and doesn't fit my tester anyway. For now, we'll just see if she starts and see how much exhaust comes out the oil fill hole. Once/if she can move, I'll take her somewhere in town and see if they can test it.

"Budget Build" and "Powerstroke Diesel" clearly don't belong in the same sentence, so I'm trying to treat this as an 'eat the elephant' situation. Keep the restoration as cheap as possible for as long as possible, repairing, rebuilding, and maintaining wherever I can and avoiding replacement as much as possible.

Jarrett has one, sweet talk him and maybe you can borrow it with a deposit or something.

Old 05-14-2019, 08:42 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
Received 1,473 Likes on 961 Posts
That fuel filter looks normal to me, after a few thousand miles.

Man shes got some miles on her, I would check compression while you have glow plugs out.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:48 AM
Jarrett Campbell
Cargo Master
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
yeah for a deposit I could shoot you the tool, even consolidate shipping if you end up wanting to buy that rim.

Old 05-14-2019, 01:10 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't believe anyone makes a repro of that insulation. None that I am aware of at least. Maybe someone else is....

Old 05-14-2019, 02:12 PM
zombie7.3
Junior User

Just took the batteries out and I'm pretty sure I know what this relay is for now. One end tees into the horns (pretty sure that's what they are, under the passenger headlight) and the other end is snipped in the driver's footwell. Aftermarket alarm? Can anyone confirm? The big red wire also goes into the cab to power some secret treasure. I'll have to contact the PO to see if he wants it back as it looks pretty heckin' expensive, just out of good faith.

Old 05-14-2019, 09:20 PM
zombie7.3
Junior User
Minor but important work today. New glow plugs came in, Beru Ireland and all checked out on resistance in the .3 ohm range. Repaired the vacuum line near the passenger firewall and cleaned up the aftermarket wiring in the same area. "Repaired" my ignition lock cylinder so the ignition switch spring will actually return it to Run after being in the Start position. Took a Dremel and a wire wheel to the four ground points I could find and sprayed them with PB Blaster to hopefully avoid future corrosion. The main ground for the head is located in the most ridiculous of places, so I see the hate for the Ford engineers, lol.

Also attached my poor little jump pack to the battery leads and checked the functionality of some electronics:
  • Headlights and all the turn signals except the passenger front work.
  • Brake lights work, reverse lights don't. Pobably a switch problem, any hints on that one?
  • Front passenger window was the only one that would budge from the driver's controls, but that might just be a matter of needing more juice, heard the relays click on the other windows.
  • Stereo works!
  • Couldn't tell on the blower motor, probably just needs more juice.
  • Confirmed the mileage at 385,307.8 miles.
  • Fuel level meter seems to work for both tanks.
  • Was almost able to put the transfer case in neutral, actually felt it slide downward once or twice, but wasn't quite able to get it. Might be the weakling operator.

Just one picture today:

Happened to have the perfect ID of vacuum line for this. Just cut back the loom till I found healthy line and cut out the rotted and chewed section at a steep angle and crammed the black line over it.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:28 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
good news.

Did PO give you any sort of idea what the daily life of this truck was? heavy towing? highway? idling around a ranch?

Old 05-15-2019, 10:30 AM
Hit Man X
Lead Driver
Received 1,196 Likes on 975 Posts
The fan will spin on high if the motor is good. High sends 12V right to it, bypassing the resistor. Plan on installing a new motor and wheel. Removal of old wheel is nearly impossible.

No relays in window motors. They are stuck. You will have to pull door panels and push down on switch while smartly, but with gentle force tap the motor to pop it free. A small hammer is ideal for this.

Take Jarrett up on compression tester kit. Everyone telling you to test it is not blowing smoke up your ***.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:38 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
what is good compression on a 7.3? over 360? New they were near 400??

Old 05-15-2019, 10:40 AM
zombie7.3
Junior User
Originally Posted by KubotaOrange76
Did PO give you any sort of idea what the daily life of this truck was? heavy towing? highway? idling around a ranch?
He owned an oil field service company of some kind. Pretty sure it was minimal towing and lots and lots of dirt roads.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:42 AM
KubotaOrange76
Its Comin Right for us!
FTE says this has the correct adapter in it::

""An economy diesel compression tester. I know for a fact that the Harbor Freight tool #93644 ( 12 Piece Diesel Engine Compression Tester ) has the 1/8" NPT adapter we will need. So I recommend it.

You'll need a 1/8" NPT female-to-female connector (I call them barrels)
You can get the just about anywhere that has a brass fitting selection. I got mine from Parker Store as it was easier to get it at the same time as our next piece.

You'll need an adapter to fit the actual glow plug port. Parker Store part #M10-1/8F8OHGS accomplishes this. It is our glow plug port thread pitch, M10-1.0, in an O-Ring boss male fitting on one side, but on the other adapts to 1/8"NPT female threads.

You can see if there is a Parker Store near you by searching at McCoy Sales Corporation - Manufacturers Representative and Distributor

If not, here is an internet alternative- ( M10-1/8F8OHGS MROstop.com )

You will need a grease gun hose whip. Not the kind with a fitted grease fitting on one end, but the kind with 1/8"NPT male fittings on both ends. I got mine from Ace, but noone seems to have the 12" whips online.
You can get them pretty much any auto supply store. Autozone should sell a 12" whip for about $4.99. I think I paid $6 at Ace. Either way, it doesn't matter.

You will also either need pipe dope or teflon tape. I won't link that as it should be obvious to anyone who got this far in the writeup.

At this point, lets see....
I paid roughly-
$30 for the compression tester.
$6 for the grease whip.
$1.50 for the barrel adapter
$12 for the M10-1.0 to 1/8" NPT adapter
And I have a healthy supply of teflon tape on hand.""

https://www.harborfreight.com/diesel...-pc-62594.html

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...sion-test.html

Quick Reply: Zombie7.3's 12 Year No-Start Resto-Build